Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 29, 2003

Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-15-2003, 7:20 AM Reply   
I was out on my local lake a few weeks ago and it was getting real close to complete darkness. As I was pulling up to the dock I noticed there were two gentlemen that were waving frantically. Come to find out their boat was having some engine problems and died somewhat close to the dock. An hour had passed an the boat was in the middle of the lake. They said that they had been waiting for an hour for someone to help render aid. Noone wanted to help them.

What really made me mad is that there were other boats (mostly wakeboard boats) out on the lake that day. It is against the law to not stop and render aid. I ended up helping another guy on a jet ski just before this incident.

I don't believe in superstition but I do believe in Bad Karma, because one day you will inadverntly be in this position.
Old    warlock00            08-15-2003, 7:33 AM Reply   
I agree always help out cause you never know when it will be your turn to need help.
Old    boardjockey            08-15-2003, 7:41 AM Reply   
Yup, i've pulled several stranded boaters back to their docks before. hope someone stops when/if my boat has a problem.
Old     (pimp131)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-15-2003, 8:02 AM Reply   
yep im always the boat which provides equipment for quick on the water repaires ... can never have too many tools i carry 3 tool boxes lol, like 100 - 150 lbs extra too!!
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-15-2003, 8:12 AM Reply   
At dusk last night we were emptying the fat sacks and ideling back. A guy on one of those pesky jet skis came over to make sure we were alright. I thought that was pretty nice.
Old     (craig_riddle)      Join Date: Apr 2003       08-15-2003, 8:14 AM Reply   
Yup, I've pulled in boats and jet skis, I pulled in jet ski just last month. We had boat trouble at lake powell once and a guy towed us for a couple of miles, when we offered to give him gas money he just said something about people needing to help others in need and took off.
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-15-2003, 8:14 AM Reply   
I've been helped a couple times and got aid back when I needed it. I always compensated the people for helping me and was stoked when one guy I helped gave me a $100 bucks for toting 3 of them from the southend of Cottonwood Basin (LM Powerlines) to Katerines and back. Something broke, he had a part and tools in his truck. It all comes back around. Do you think the WB boats didn't stop because they were too interested in themselves or that they, like most PWC users, just don't know what to do because it's their first boat and haven't experienced those things before? Probably a little of both. M2C.
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-15-2003, 9:22 AM Reply   
Dead battery - gave them a tow.

2 dudes in a speed boat at the Delta (the kind where the engine is larger than the boat) - Engine caught fire and they didn't have a fire extinguisher onboard, so we put if out for them. Another boater gave them a tow back to dock so we could finish our session.
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-15-2003, 9:49 AM Reply   
I always like stopping for to help, but yes got to admit, there has been times that i didn't stop... but i do stop to help more than i dont... Cuz i agree if i was in that situation i would want someone to help me....
Old    wake_me            08-15-2003, 10:25 AM Reply   
Just last weekend we saw a bass boat towing a Tige across the lake. You just never know when it could be you that needs the help!!
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-15-2003, 11:14 AM Reply   
Yea when we were at lake powell trying to teach some people to wakeboard our POS boat died (it turned out that the starter wires had come loose) but another boat swang right by, and towed us to out house boat.

We almost needed another pull after geting out prop destyroied this past weekened at lake don pedero.

Im glad that we have such a community of boat that will help other people out
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-15-2003, 11:36 AM Reply   
I helped a stranded SANTE in may. they had gotten weeds in their intake and overheated, and drained their battery trying to restart.

I offered a tow but they would rather die than be towed by a malibu, so we jumped them, and eventually they got their engine started. hopefully they didn't cause any major damage!

also towed a sinking jetski into shore at a local lake. They had been waiting in the weeds for 45 minutes until we came by. they said their friends were high and had no sense of time.
Old    tutman            08-15-2003, 12:12 PM Reply   
2 words: boat karma. I'm a big believer, just like Pierce. I even helped out a slalom boat a couple of days ago!!!! lol
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-15-2003, 12:55 PM Reply   
Its so weird that everyone is on the same level but for some reason no one helped those people out..maybe its true what notidad said, people are just to concerned about their day out on the water.
Old     (project3060)      Join Date: May 2001       08-15-2003, 1:50 PM Reply   
We have a small porta-poti on the left side of the engine compartment for when my wife really has to go. She will open the side compartment, cover her self with a towel and do her buisiness. But it never fails as soon as she gets back there, someone see the side compartment open and they come over to see if we need help.
Old    wakelvr            08-15-2003, 11:46 PM Reply   
Towed a guy about 10-12 miles at Don Pedro a year or so ago. His engine was smoking, so we gave him our fire extinguisher as well. Really nice guy.... in the end, after about an hour or so tow back to the marina he said he didn't want to "offend" us by giving us money as a thank you (which is good, because we would have given it back). Instead, he handed us his buisness card and said that if we were ever in need of his services, he would return the favor. Turned out that he was an attorney. I kept his card.....