Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 16, 2003

Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-04-2003, 7:58 PM Reply   
I have seem some sick ass riders lately, at random lakes and am just curious to see who deserves props.
Old     (wakinwestcoast)      Join Date: Jan 2003       06-04-2003, 10:53 PM Reply   
i'll i've seen lately are tubers.
Old     (iewc_vp)      Join Date: Aug 2001       06-05-2003, 8:52 AM Reply   
NOT ME!!!!
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-05-2003, 9:07 AM Reply   
i hear that brandon poser guy is SICK!

you were fishing for compliments here, right?
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-05-2003, 9:12 AM Reply   
Come to the next Canyon Lake comp. So many of the riders deserve recognition, I could list them, but it would be really long.
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-05-2003, 9:24 AM Reply   
Most of ya'll have probably seen this video a thousand times but this is my favorate video of a Cal rider who I never heard of before I saw this:
www.wakepics.com/view_single.php?medid=5562
Lovin' the smooth style.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-05-2003, 9:43 AM Reply   
Hey David, technically those guys are'nt from SoCal. Great riders, none the less!
Old    wryan            06-05-2003, 11:14 AM Reply   
i personally think the smoothest riders out here on the west coast are randy, ricky, and cdubs. then comes cody hall and kyle murphy. but they are all pro so wouldnt really fit. yeah chris dykmans is a smooth good rider but i like riders that go big. every trick that he does is w2w and it looks like hes riding a short line going slow. i dont care how tech a rider can get w2w cuz id rather see a big grab way into the flats. theres a few good heads that ride in canyon and a few nor cal guys also.
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-05-2003, 12:06 PM Reply   
Krutz- not really, but thanks anyway!! I just was wondering who is out there that ISN'T really getting any props.

Ryan- Perry Richmond is one of the best riders out there, I think he is going pro this year. Super smooth and goes big with everything. A local to me is a guy named Chuck Blackwood, only been ridin a bit over two years and is pulling Blind Judges'!! He's a natural!!
Old     (board_boy)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-05-2003, 12:17 PM Reply   
who sings that song in the chris dykmans video?
Old    wryan            06-05-2003, 1:12 PM Reply   
ive seen chuck ride but hes got zero style. huge fins and narrow stance. i think people forget that a clean backside poked 180 is just as hard as a tech flip. i talk to chris williams here and there and he says he'd rather watch a guy do a basic spin super clean then any flip that everybody else does. i have the same attitude. would you rather wtach a guy do a big elephant that everybody does the same or watch somebody poke out a huge 180 in a way that nobody else pokes it.
Old     (hatepwcs)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-05-2003, 1:13 PM Reply   
Dale Duignan, he doesn't do all the technical inverts, I think hes got like 3 but he spins like a mad man and grabs everything. Everything he does looks like its in slow motion. I always enjoy watching him ride. Also rj from Valencia rips. Tons of moves always goes big and grabs and pokes everything. I'm an old crusty surfer, so I always appreciate the smooth style as opposed to the real technical moves that I know I will never be pulling.
Old    lukeh2owalker            06-05-2003, 1:58 PM Reply   
thane house is sick and not pro chris bixby is sick and not pro so much style jeff slents aka aesop is stylific brings his snowboard skill in and rips it up. jeff socalwakepunk lets it rip and is aerodynamic with his har do rani kahouch and ryan walker are two gents that drop it like its hot. seen them all ride and feeling the stoke from them all and not a wake sponsor among them.
Old     (mvda)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-05-2003, 3:16 PM Reply   
Wow Ryan. A guy pulling blind judges has "no style"? It sounds like that by "no style" you mean "doesn't ride with a West Coast style". What big fins and a narrow stance have to do with it, I don't know. Is that considered cheating? Seriously, do you have something personal against this guy? "No style" sounds pretty harsh. Even if Chuck is not super smooth, everbody who's ridden more than a handful of times has their own style. While Chuck's riding may be agro or even downright sloppy (I don't know the guy and have never seen him ride) he's still got style if he can throw down like that. I am seeing a lot more poked out super smooth backside 180's these days than I am blind judges, but anybody who throws either pretty much earns my respect. It sounds like Chuck could easily learn "style". I don't think he shouldn't be considered a good rider just because he does ride with much of the west coast flavor.
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-05-2003, 10:03 PM Reply   
Ryan, if he doesn't have the style, you have to admit that he has raw talent for the sport. I agree with Matt in saying that if someone can throw down with a huge blind judge into the flats that that is pretty impressive none the less.
Anther rider that deserves props and has maaaad skills is Jason Callen. That boy goes off, and is just money on the water.
Old     (rob_c)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-05-2003, 10:24 PM Reply   
Holy Shiznizel!! I had the pleasure of riding with Jason and he is off the hook,mad style and going huge!!
Brandon, don't sell yourself short anyone who's ridden with you has to shout!
Old    corey_marotta            06-06-2003, 10:15 AM Reply   
If your going to use the word "style" to describe someone's riding than it needs to be done right. The word style by itself is how other people see the way you translate motion into your own riding. Weather it's tech and fast, or simple and smooth. "To each is own", the word used by itself to describe opinionated good riding is a misrepresentation.

You have "smooth style"
"choppy style"
"tech style"
"a copied style"

We all have are own style, whether it looks good to others or not.
Old    wryan            06-06-2003, 11:33 AM Reply   
i guess its just me personally but i dont like riders with the choppy style. i like when riders look like they are out there snowboarding and just flowing around back and forth. im gonna use chris williams as an example cuz hes the only pro ive really got to go in the boat and watch freeride but he does sick stuff. hes does as many tricks in the flats and on the lip as he does off the wake and does the biggest smoothest grabs off the wake or dub landing like 20-30 feet in the flats. when a rider looks like he is snowboarding i think that looks rad. whatever i think its cool even if they do a raley trick here and there. that just shows how much control they have out there with the rope.
Old    lukeh2owalker            06-06-2003, 12:11 PM Reply   
you ride like you were in the seventies loud polka dot shirt style.
Old    miker            06-07-2003, 9:19 AM Reply   
Rob Brewster kills it. Super smooth. Goes big. Mad skill. He rode in Canyon for the last couple of years and did quite well at the Canyon comps. He just moved back up the the Central Coast.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-07-2003, 10:47 AM Reply   
Yeah, Rob is one sick rider. Mike Buckle at UCSB is another awesome rider. Big method fronts, hoochies, method crows.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-07-2003, 10:51 AM Reply   
That Luke Cunnungham izzle da shizzle too!
Old    comptechboarder            06-07-2003, 11:20 AM Reply   
He rides central cal but Daniel Doud is getting pretty good. That kid has some sick Steez goin.