Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 21, 2003

Old     (jimr)      Join Date: Sep 2001       04-23-2003, 11:19 AM Reply   
Does anyone know if they make floating child seats for marine use... you know, like a car seat for a boat? For those of you with children, how old was your child before you took them out? Any recommendations on safety devices?

The reason I ask is because we have recently added a new member to our crew. Gabriella is 6 weeks old and we are already working on her handle grip! :-)

Gabby
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-23-2003, 11:26 AM Reply   
we took our son out at 8 week old son out and held him with a vest on the whole time. kids sink immediately if they fall into the water.
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-23-2003, 11:39 AM Reply   
btw. congrats on the beautiful baby
Old    tclagggym            04-23-2003, 11:45 AM Reply   
I would try to find a babysitter, at least until they can walk. I have two girls 4 and 2. The thing I worry about is not so much our negligence,but someone in a jet ski other boat etc.Just my opinion. Good luck.
Old     (jeffr)      Join Date: May 2002       04-23-2003, 11:48 AM Reply   
Congrats on your new addition to the family. We started taking my daughter out last summer when she was about 1. It could have been earlier but with the weather in WA we waiting till it was not so cold.

Definitely get a life vest. I know some of the small vests have a weight and height range but can’t remember how small they go.

You can hold her the whole time but the car seat will be easier. Not sure if they make a ‘boat specific’ seat or not… We rigged up my daughter’s car seat in the observers seat and have a tie down strap set up to hold it in place. You can use a few rolled up towels to help secure it.

Last year she would fall asleep but now she loves to watch everyone ride.
Old    swpmwinc            04-23-2003, 12:03 PM Reply   
Coast Guard recomends that children be at least 2 years old If you put your child in a seat make sure they have a vest on and are not buckled in! The vest wont float the seat The babysitter is probally the best idea just to give Mom and You a break. Congrates on the little guy
Old     (wake_fun)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-23-2003, 12:35 PM Reply   
15 months and loving it
Last August.

Trinity
Old    chris_hargis            04-23-2003, 1:01 PM Reply   
My daughter has been in th eboat since she was about 2 months old. We found the absolute smallest vest we could with a head rest, and kept her unbuckled in the car seat. We thought abou ton of those bouncy bed type things, but realized that it would bounce more than we wanted in a boat. She is now almost 2 and she just hangs out in the seat, or in our lap, but not in a car seat anymore.
Old    leggester            04-23-2003, 1:08 PM Reply   
Absomaluteley beautiful child Jim!

We used a regular car seat at three weeks. Facing backwards and the child strapped in. The seat was also strapped into the boat with a quick release rig. With the weak necks babies have, they can snap pretty easily. Just took it easy for a fun day on the lake.

One of us always had a hand on the seat and the quick release though. Make sure you bring shade for the bambino.

Have fun,
Matt
Old     (h2o4me)      Join Date: May 2002       04-23-2003, 10:25 PM Reply   
Jim Congrats!. I have a 1 & 2 1/2 year old. We started around the 3mo age. My suggestion: 1. Life vest with chroch strap, a must have! (but you knew that). 2. Tons of shade. In the summer she will get hot in the vest, that small they have poor ability to regulate their temp. Keep her fed (hydration is key!) I don't know of a marine car seat, holding is a good idea. If you use your car seat I would avoid straping her in even with her vest. Keep hands on the baby. Strange things happen and if the car seat and baby go overboard together it will not be good. Enjoy your gift! Eric
Old     (brd4fun)      Join Date: May 2002       04-24-2003, 6:34 AM Reply   
We have taken our daughter out since she was a month old Always with a life jacket. We put her in a bouncy seat it somewhat absorbed some of the bumps and then we progressed to a small blow up swimming pool.(we always filled it with clean water before we left the house so she was not exposed to all the bacteria in the lake) The pool was a life saver she played in the pool while we wakeboarded it was great. Last year she rode the wakeboard by herself for about 50 feet and is excited about this year, she just turned 4 alast minth. A word of advise do not blink.
Old    chris_hargis            04-24-2003, 6:38 AM Reply   
I never thought about a pool. That is a great idea, if you have room.

I second the blink comment.

Congrats to you and your family.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-24-2003, 7:40 AM Reply   
kids do not sink if falling into water, in fact they instictively bob back to the top, multiple studies done, have seen it myself. They do after all spend nine months breathing liquid.
Old    keithf            04-25-2003, 7:55 PM Reply   
Step 1. Start 'em early. I mean really early. Similar to how you play classical music to the unborn, except here they get accustomed to the roar of the engine and the tower speakers. Make sure Mommy2be boards/tubes up to 7 months, and then drives the boat every weekend up until she goes into labor - thanks Honey!

Step 2. Once born, get them out on the boat ASAP. Here's our son at nine days. Slept thru it all. Go figure. See Honey, all that boating during your PG days paid off.

Step 3. Here we are at 6 weeks. Chunky Monkey just can't get enough. Goes big early and ends up passing out for the rest of the session. Hmm, sounds like Dad a few years back.

Step 4. At 4 months Chunky throws a frothy 'cos "...wearing a vest is for Wusses". Also decides Mommy needs driving tips, and to show her how to pull Dad into that tight triple-up he's always calling for. See Mom, grab the wheel here, and spin it..

Have fun
Old     (jimr)      Join Date: Sep 2001       04-28-2003, 6:36 AM Reply   
Thanks for all the advice. I bought an infant vest this weekend and assuming I can figure out how to strap the car seat into the boat we are going to take her out next weekend.

Thanks!