Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (CarZin)      Join Date: Feb 2011       02-21-2013, 12:26 PM Reply   
I think this is actually something that needs to be addressed one way or the other. I have been on a kick on the centurion board that Centurion needs to have a fuel totalizer onboard. I had one on my airplane, and it does wonders. You know exactly what the fuel flow rate is, and how changes to weighting and throttle affects fuel consumption. The devices are pretty cheap (less than $250) and would be interfaced to the onboard dash, so no new gauges needed. Could put all this to rest. You would know exactly what weight and speed does to economy. I spend a lot of time cruising around, and I would love to know what the sweet spot is for cruising economy, so I can stop wasting gas.

One possible solution is for the boat manufacturers to agree on a standard weighting and speed, and run tests on fuel economy so there can be some comparisons from boat to boat. And then display that on a sticker, much like an EPA label.

In my case, with the Enzo SV233, it is certainly cheaper than the comparable Tige boat. But if the Tige uses 2-3 gallons less an hour to wakesurf with the same weight, then the difference could be made up pretty quick. And without a fuel totalizer, people can make claims about fuel economy that can't really be backed up. I'd like to see these Tige claims of really low use, with a video showing a rider on a big wave, going back to a fuel totalizer showing 4 GPH.

Of course, what one boat does with a given weight is going to be different than what another boat does with a given weight. Thats why a fuel totalizer would be great. Once wakes are setup properly, the community can report back that a Malibu, properly weighted to produce the best wave, uses X amount of fuel, and Centurion uses Y, and Tige uses Z.

Last edited by CarZin; 02-21-2013 at 12:33 PM.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-21-2013, 7:05 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarZin View Post
I think this is actually something that needs to be addressed one way or the other. I have been on a kick on the centurion board that Centurion needs to have a fuel totalizer onboard. I had one on my airplane, and it does wonders. You know exactly what the fuel flow rate is, and how changes to weighting and throttle affects fuel consumption. The devices are pretty cheap (less than $250) and would be interfaced to the onboard dash, so no new gauges needed. Could put all this to rest. You would know exactly what weight and speed does to economy. I spend a lot of time cruising around, and I would love to know what the sweet spot is for cruising economy, so I can stop wasting gas.

One possible solution is for the boat manufacturers to agree on a standard weighting and speed, and run tests on fuel economy so there can be some comparisons from boat to boat. And then display that on a sticker, much like an EPA label.

In my case, with the Enzo SV233, it is certainly cheaper than the comparable Tige boat. But if the Tige uses 2-3 gallons less an hour to wakesurf with the same weight, then the difference could be made up pretty quick. And without a fuel totalizer, people can make claims about fuel economy that can't really be backed up. I'd like to see these Tige claims of really low use, with a video showing a rider on a big wave, going back to a fuel totalizer showing 4 GPH.

Of course, what one boat does with a given weight is going to be different than what another boat does with a given weight. Thats why a fuel totalizer would be great. Once wakes are setup properly, the community can report back that a Malibu, properly weighted to produce the best wave, uses X amount of fuel, and Centurion uses Y, and Tige uses Z.
Ive been saying this forever....
The concept is extremely simple... basically have a timer that keeps a count when the flow rate is within a particular range, decrease range size for higher accuracy, (calculus ) and output a summation....AWESOME.
Also gives you the opportunity to see real time fuel economy.
Would be pretty simply to program and would be easy to integrate the system into the touch screen systems like TigeTouch and all the others.

On a side note, im not sure why this boat doesnt have a monster diesel powerhouse in it, I know that there are threads on WW about diesel all the time....but seriously, there is a reason you dont tow huge heavy trailers with gasoline trucks...why would you power a monster, heavily weighted wake boat with a high HP gasoline engine?

Last edited by ilikebeaverandboats; 02-21-2013 at 7:13 PM.