Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old     (eaglejackson)      Join Date: Oct 2004       09-20-2011, 10:47 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplej View Post
for one hour of riding with stock ballast at 22-23 mph we burn just short 1/4 tank, well call it a 5th a tank so or so about 11 gph... did you re prop or something
I have the MCX with stock prop and normally ride with stock ballast, though I do have PnP. I have kept a spreadsheet since I bought the boat and have about 70 hours on it. Whenever I put in gas, I record the hours and how much gas it took. (Yes, I'm a nerd in real life.) Dividing the sum of gas by the difference in hours from current to beginning gives me 4.8 gph.

I've found that the gas gauge is wildly inaccurate, and reads much less that the amount of gas needed to fill the tank to overflow. For example, after an hour of riding, it may say 70% or 75% full, but will only take 5 gals or so to fill.

Now, when I fill the PnP bags, gph gets worse pretty dramatically. The MCX takes a while to get up to wakeboarding speed and full plane with the PnP filled. The stock ballast is fine for my level of wakeboarding, but if I used the PnP regularly, I'd wish I had a bigger engine, or perhaps re-prop and see if that made enough of a difference.

YMMV.