Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 16, 2009

Old     (saskrider)      Join Date: Apr 2009       10-29-2009, 2:09 PM Reply   
I am currently riding a Ronix Vault and am looking to upgrade for next season. I like the board just want to step up out of the beginner type board. I was thinking of the Ronix One, Liquid Force Lyman, and Obrien Decade. I am 6'1" and weight 215. Any suggestions or input would be appreciated. Thanks
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       10-29-2009, 2:33 PM Reply   
What do you want out of the board, like speed, pop, edge, ect.

Do you want a more straight up popping board a fast out into the flats style board, ect.

This will help get you going in the right direction.
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-29-2009, 7:06 PM Reply   
have you thought about flex? the company severence is awesome. great wake to wake pop. and easy to take into the flats. loose while flat. but holds an edge while cutting. softest landings ive ever felt. supper fun to ride
Old     (saskrider)      Join Date: Apr 2009       10-29-2009, 10:13 PM Reply   
I like a 3 stage thats more abrubt straight up pop, but can also take it to the flats a bit too. I like a decent speed, edge a little loose but good grip when you put it on edge. As for flex, I tried a SS Response and didnt really like it. No local shops carried Company so I would have to order it online.
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-30-2009, 7:05 AM Reply   
if you tried a slingshot and didnt like it. odds are you wouldnt like a different brand of flex. but just for the record. the severence is exactly what you just posted above what you like.
but flex isnt for everyone
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       10-30-2009, 7:26 AM Reply   
David,I bet Lyman is real happy he helped you out with your school work.In another post you wrote "I ride a Lyman normally and the Severance is 10 times better" then this guy actually mentions the Lyman and you don't even give it any props.You tell him to check out a board that you rode once.Not to mention that every other what board post before this you say the Lyman is the best.
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       10-30-2009, 7:41 AM Reply   
Sask you mentioned the Lyman in your first post and your post about what you want from a board describes what a Lyman rides like.I would demo that board and the others you mentioned,if it is possible.That is the only way you will really know if it's the board for you.
Old     (joshbuzz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       10-30-2009, 7:55 AM Reply   
David's young, and we all know that being young means you're style will jump around. Doesn't make it acceptable, and I wish he would try a Slingshot instead of just riding a company once and then telling everyone they're the best, but to each his own. That is why we're on the internet, people can change their mind, and it's no big deal.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       10-30-2009, 8:11 AM Reply   
I've got a friend that rides the Lyman, and it's definitely a versatile board, with the ability to go wake to wake very well, and also can easily get you to the flats. I know you mentioned a 3-Stage, and it sounds like the One would be a great fit if you stuck with the Ronix brand. I'd also like to suggest the Ronix Viva. It's categorized as a Continuous board, but it's got a very abrupt continuous rocker line to it. It's got great speed to the wake, as much as you want, and always has more speed to offer. They softened up the rails this year which makes it more playful, and sets a VERY HARD edge when it comes into the wake. I really like the continuous rocker style, as by reducing the speed into the wake, I can get a big wake to wake, or by just giving a bit more I head into the flats. The consistency of the rocker line also lets me know what to expect every time into the wake. The harder I cut, I know I'm going bigger and farther, but I always know the arc I'll be taking which has been a big confidence booster taking tricks bigger and trying new ones. This board also is very light weight, and comes in a 144 which I ride, and would be a great fit for a rider your size. Just a thought!
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       10-30-2009, 8:12 AM Reply   
I'm on the 09, but they didn't change the shape at all for the '10.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       10-30-2009, 9:07 AM Reply   
The Decade Hands down... I have not had the chance to ride any of the other boards you mentioned but I do ride the decade. And after 15 years of standing sideways on a board I can tell you it the best board I have ever had the opportunity to ride.

The Delta Base makes it crazy fast for a true 3-stage rocker board. 3-stage Rocker means The pop is Massive off the wake. That combined with the Speed generates from the Delta Base makes for an awesome Ride. Really I cannot stress the speed aspect enough, Having a fast board allows you to mantain a good body position and keeps line tension low so you can stand tall blast you backfives into the flats. Not to mention being fast edge to edge and having rolled edges so in the center of the board so there is zero grab on sliders. This also makes it forgiving if you come up a bit short on a rotation like a toe seven, instead of getting slammed you can cheat it around a bit. The last feature I love is the large center spine that makes the landings a dream and WAY easier on the Knees.

Your about my Size, I am 6'3" 220 a Decade 144 would be a solid choice.
Old     (joshbuzz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       10-30-2009, 9:33 AM Reply   
Not that I'm a huge O'Brien guy, no offense Andy, but sask, that's a guy who can give you some solid advice on a board. If you're not going with flex, which I suggest, I highly suggest you listen to Andy...
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       10-30-2009, 9:58 AM Reply   
Thanks Josh, I go out of my way to not give an opinion on boards I dont know anything about. Seems like most people hate this and hate that and have never even tried a certain board. Makes no sense, if you dont know anything about it, how can you judge it.

As for the Decade, that's a board that I know everything about. It was a great project to watch the Decade come to life. Strap some 2010 Decade boots on it and you pimping!
Old     (joshbuzz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       10-30-2009, 11:22 AM Reply   
That's the same way we are with our Slingshots, we've been on em for a couple years, and have pushed the limits on them. Can't speak for company or LF, or O'brien, but I can't imagine someone who's ridden a board once can explain the wonders and pitfalls to the rest of the wakeworld.