Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 24, 2009

Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-10-2009, 1:23 PM Reply   
How does a guy who's late beginner to early intermediate decide on a set up? I'm board/binding shopping but don't have a clue. I'm not versed enough in the intricacies of board and binding set ups to know?

I've been riding some friends boards lately trying to get the feel for them but everything feels "fine" to me.. I'm going wake to wake, some surface tricks, some 180's and I've landed a couple inverts a few years back. I'm probably your typical rider you see on your lake just going wake to wake and hitting a grab here and there.

How do I even START to pick out a board and binding? I've rode an 08' One with One bindings and an 07' Watson with Watson bindings this week. I liked both. I could feel a difference but wouldn't say I have a preference.

How do I buy a board without demo'ing a trillion boards? Am I "new" enough to the game where I just buy something and learn on it and worry about what shape/speed I need when I get better? I'm just worried as I buy something that hampers progress. But I'm also not going to go out and spend $900 on a set up.

I liked the One bindings but the board feels a little slow to me. I liked the 07' Watson board fine but isn't something I have my heart set on.

I want to spend between $300-$450 on a set up but when you start looking in that price range there are a MILLION boards.. I like the idea of a Recoil cause it's light but that would be at the top of my price range and don't want to deal with the boots issue on the Slingshots. I liked the closed toes on the Ones but don't have a clue if that will matter at my level.

I'm looking at the Pure and the Absolut right now. What about bindings? I've seen packages with Torqs and Vapors. Is this more of a beginner binding?

I'm so lost and don't know where to start except to just buy something, quit worrying about it and ACTUALLY learn how to ride. But I'd like a "good" start.

I'm 5'9", 185-190. I'm thinking 138-140 for a conventional board but looks like I could get away with 142ish on a Slingshot with the light weight.

I'd rather spend less than more but don't want to short change myself. I need a SOLID season of progression out of a board. Give me some advice and tell me to quit being a bitch.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-10-2009, 1:42 PM Reply   
Also - any advice on blem boards? Are blem boards purely cosmetic? Or are some of them functional? I would assume only cosmetic.

http://www.evogear.com/outlet/Mashups/CWB-Marius-Blem+Liquid-Force-Alpha-Bindings.aspx

Thoughts?
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-10-2009, 1:45 PM Reply   
http://www.evogear.com/outlet/wakeboards/cwb-faction-wakeboard-2008.aspx
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       09-10-2009, 2:29 PM Reply   
Quit being a b****. But seriously, you are really overthinking this. What you can do is look at the features of the boards you have ridden and liked, and the look for boards with similar features, but more in your price range. For example, you seem to like the three stage on the Watson and One boards, so keep that in mind when shopping. As far as the boots go, closed toe isnt going to be a huge deal, its usually included with the more expensive boots, but pro-models still have OT versions. Check the Wakeworld gear guide for reviews to get a little more info.
Final verdict: moderate 3-stage board with some bottom features (LF Watson, HL Era/B-Side, CWB Faze, O'Brien Valhalla), and any mid range boots, or a package you can get with the board.
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-10-2009, 2:32 PM Reply   
whatever you do get the best bindings you can get you can get any 2009 or 2008 pro model bindings for under 200$...i.e lf watson,shane, hyperlite murray,
cwb zeus etc....

I wouldnt go with a flex board off the bat...its an acquired taste.

I find cwb boards to be good all around boards...they have spines for softer landings and are solid.......marius, transcend, faction.....none will hinder your learning....really no board really will. If your learning surface spins a board with big fins will hinder that , a looser board will be easier to release.

Any pro model board can also be had for under 200$

any board can keep you going for a while...then once you have ridden it for a while....you can start thinking what you would like in your next board....once you know what your even looking for(this takes time)

(Message edited by absoluteboarder on September 10, 2009)
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-10-2009, 2:40 PM Reply   
Both of those boards would be good for you. The Marius is a little different in its overall dimensions but it rides really smooth on the water and would be a good platform to progress from. Thats even a Platinum with boots for $400, nice deal. The Faction is a great deck, I'd call it intermediate advanced. It works for so many different levels and is a great ride. Good luck! Get after it!
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-10-2009, 2:57 PM Reply   
I would not get that setup with the alpha bindings......those are entry level and really are not that supportive......if you can find a 2008 marius with any pro binding you wont regret it. Again you can get that set up for under 400....check ebay. Buy them separate that way you get the match you want.

(Message edited by absoluteboarder on September 10, 2009)
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-10-2009, 3:04 PM Reply   
these are just examples....since we dont know your sizes

http://cgi.ebay.com/CWB-MARIUS-RIDERS-UP-TO-160LBS-134-CM-WAKEBOARD-NEW_W0QQitemZ370224383306QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item563317c54a&_trksid=p3286.m20 .l1116

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-2008-Liquid-Force-Watson-Bindings-CT-Size-11-12_W0QQitemZ110431502834QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Defa ultDomain_0?hash=item19b63b01f2&_trksid=p3286.c0.m 14
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-10-2009, 3:08 PM Reply   
that 2008 faction is a nice ride but has a leathery top that year which doesn't wear that well.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-10-2009, 3:23 PM Reply   
Great great great info.. This is the kind of stuff I need to hear. I feel like I'm over thinking this a ton but it's also hard to just go to these sites or your local shop, pick something and HOPE for no buyers/riders remorse.

Keep giving me information - I'll keep digesting before I purchase..

How about the Faction? Good deck for where I'm at?
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-10-2009, 3:25 PM Reply   
I posted up top by my sizes are 138-140 for a board (I'm 185 lbs) and size 9 for boots.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-10-2009, 3:38 PM Reply   
The Faction is a great all around board. I have ridden it the last two years and it pops nice, carries nice speed into the wake and it lands pretty good with the spine. I have recently wanted to find four Absolute fins to try for a looser ride, but I think that the Faction is a board that most riders could ride and probably never grow out of.
Old     (calexan)      Join Date: Dec 2008       09-10-2009, 3:57 PM Reply   
Dont forget that you can get some sweet setups for cheap during the off season and watch boardersbestbuy.com for the board you want.

Is basically guaranteed that if you buy a board, its on BBB the next day at a cheaper price.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-10-2009, 4:00 PM Reply   
I've got an offer on a sick price for a Recoil..

I'm contemplating it.. If I'm going to progress - I should be able to do so on a flex just as easy right? Not like I'm "used" to one vs. the other.
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-10-2009, 4:58 PM Reply   
its not talked about much but with a flexboard your dealing with another variable.....which is great when you are an accomplished rider. also flexboards seem to be geared more towards cable riding...sliders etc. because of the flex. (dont flame me boat riders)jmo. But some people swear by them.
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-10-2009, 6:10 PM Reply   
Go to your local shop and have them help you.