Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 06, 2008

Old     (chadfowler)      Join Date: Feb 2008       09-18-2008, 11:09 AM Reply   
Hey I have a Supra w/ a Kenwood head unit setup for Sirius, what all would I need to do to switch to XM?

Could I keep the same head unit and just switch out the antenna's?
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-18-2008, 11:13 AM Reply   
Not sure what all would be involved in your setup. Maybe include the deck model number? I imagine your going to need to replace the XM module to make it happen.
Antennas are the same.

I'm curious why your doing it. I have XM in my truck & it blows. We have Sirius in my wife's car & like it a lot better. So I picked up the Sirius module for the truck (SIR-GM1) & need to get it installed. More licensed music, less commercials, more rock & country stations, more sports, etc.

It's probably all moot if & when the merger goes down anyway.

(Message edited by bill_airjunky on September 18, 2008)
Old     (suckbuthavefun)      Join Date: May 2003       09-18-2008, 11:16 AM Reply   
I would wait to see what happens with the merger. It has been approved, just have to see what happens to all the programming. I assume the goal is to have the same thing on both....if that is the case, why change?

Tim
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-18-2008, 11:17 AM Reply   
I agree Bill. I have both - XM in my truck, sirius in my civic - and prefer Sirius. I have Chads question too just reveresed. I have XM in my Denali as part of the stereo package offered by GM - shouldnt I be able to just switch subscribers and run sirius? Man that would be nice - I dont want to install a seperate head unit or receiver...
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-18-2008, 11:25 AM Reply   
From my understanding they will be offering an a la carte for both Sirius and xm. Meaning you will have all the original channels from your arcice and then be able to pick what channels you want from the other service. They already have 2 channels that are the on both services. The ac DC and the mad dog channels
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       09-18-2008, 11:30 AM Reply   
SIRIUS FTW! I have XM free in my new truck and don't like it as much. Also I read the Ala Carte is going to bump the price. boooo!
Old     (stewart)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-18-2008, 11:47 AM Reply   
SIRIUS XM Radio broadcasts more than 300 channels of programming, including exclusive radio offerings from Howard Stern, Oprah, Opie & Anthony and Martha Stewart, among others. SIRIUS XM Radio will offer these expanded options to consumers through arrangements with the world’s leading automakers and its relationships with nationwide retailers.

As a result of the merger, SIRIUS XM Radio will also be able to offer consumers new packages in audio entertainment, including the first-ever a la carte programming option in subscription media. In addition to two a la carte options, the new packages will include: “Best of Both,” giving subscribers the option to access certain programming from the other network; discounted Family Friendly packages; and tailored packages including “Mostly Music” and “News, Talk and Sports.” The first of the new packages will be available in the early Fall.

“One of the most exciting benefits of this transaction is the ability to offer subscribers the option of expanding their subscriptions to include the Best of Both services. Given the respective popularity of exclusive programming on both SIRIUS and XM, we expect many subscribers will upgrade their current subscription,” said Karmazin.

“The upside potential for both consumers and shareholders is huge. Consumers have the ease of adding premier programming without purchasing a new device. For shareholders, this kind of organic growth is a key part of the company’s future and the success we expect to see,” said Karmazin.
Old     (lhlocal)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-18-2008, 12:35 PM Reply   
I switched the "brain" in my Denali. Takes an hour and you just need the brain and converter for the antenna. The only annoying thing is it still reads XM, and some of the text looks weird. Definetly prefer Sirius over XM. WOuld prefer they drop AC/DC and bring back punk.
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-18-2008, 1:02 PM Reply   
How do I get a brain? Cost?(Man I know some people who would have fun with that question...)
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-18-2008, 2:00 PM Reply   
Search Ebay for "SIR-GM1". This is the module (or brain" for many GMs, ie; Tahoe, Suburban, Avalanche, etc. My guess is this is the same module Greg used too.
Old     (ericlee)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-18-2008, 2:16 PM Reply   
I hate xm and I would love to get sirius in my new denali...how do I do this? BTW xm is mostly edited music..sirius is mostly unedited
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-18-2008, 2:32 PM Reply   
Here is the SIR-GM1 in the Crutchfield catalog. The XM module is installed behind the glovebox. Just drop the door & it's on the right. Unplug the 2 plugs, unbolt it, remove it & reverse the process to install the SIR-GM1.
Old     (longhornfan)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-18-2008, 2:45 PM Reply   
Even though it doesn't answer the original question, add another vote for sirius.

As for the original question. If your Kenwood in your Supra's set up like my old head unit in my truck. I had to have a Sirius receiver in addition to the head unit. In that case you would need a new receiver and then it would also depend on if your head unit is set up for both sirius and xm or just sirius.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-18-2008, 4:02 PM Reply   
I too have had both and Sirius is so much better not only in programing but in reception as well.
Old     (sinkoumn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-18-2008, 4:23 PM Reply   
XM sounds like you're playing it through a 2 speaker 1998 desktop computer...the ONLY reason for XM is NavTraffic (and even that isn't that great).

Sirius and Ellis FTW
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-18-2008, 5:51 PM Reply   
Sirius has some pretty awesome stuff coming out for traffic, sports scores, weather and fuel prices. They have a deal with Visa and they pull prices from gas stations when a Visa is used so you can find the cheapest fuel in your area.
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-19-2008, 6:21 AM Reply   
ELLIS!!! Red Dragons! Carnivels!! FACTION 28
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-19-2008, 6:34 AM Reply   
Awesomeworld
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-19-2008, 6:54 AM Reply   
cahbon foybah