Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 06, 2008

Old     (soonerwake85)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-27-2008, 7:37 AM Reply   
So the past few times out on the water my voltage gauge had been getting lower and lower with each trip to the lake, hovering around 11 volts. The last time out they were so low that the perfect pass just kept resetting over and over again, sitting about 10 volts. Then the other day went to try to start her and wouldnt even turn over, clicking from dead batteries. I pulled the batteries, charged them up, then put a load tester on them and both batteries tested good. Put them back in to try and start her up again, everything powered up, gauge read 12 volts, but then the starter would not turn over. Dont know if I need a new starter as well as an alternator. Any input would be appreciated.
Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-27-2008, 7:48 AM Reply   
If the starter doesn't turn over then it is either your batteries, starter or starter solenoid. Take the battery out of your car and try to start the boat. If it doesn't start take your starter out and have it checked. Since you have it apart I would also get your alternator checked because it sounds like your batteries aren't getting charged.
Old     (justwakinup)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-27-2008, 10:53 PM Reply   
im pretty sure your alternator is bad, from what you saying. you can ck this when the boat is running. (the ez way is to get a volt meter and put it on the battery, when the boat is running, bring the rpm up to 2g and the volt meter should read above the battery voltage. so if your battery was at 12.2, w/ the rpm at 2000, you should be getting 12.5-14.5 voltage. but first you need to ck your starter. make sure you have a good battery! load tests it. a battery can read 12v and still be bad. it will not hold a load. once you have a good battery, ck your positive on the starter, makesure you have power there, then have someone turn the key over like your starting the boat, and ck the starter signal ( on most boat its Yellow w/red stripe)you should be getting 12v from there. if you are then is the starter, if not then ck you ignition wires. Kenny. hopefully this will help you.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-28-2008, 11:40 AM Reply   
tighten your wires at the battery. with pliers, not fingers.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-29-2008, 1:18 PM Reply   
The gauge on the dash is there to alert you to a problem before it leaves you stranded. 11 volts is not enough. 12 volts is not enough when the engine is running. If you are not getting at least 13 volts when running at cruising/riding speeds then the alternator is not doing its job.

I am not sure why the starter wouldn't work with a fully charged batteries. Do you get any "click" or other noises when you try to start?