Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 24, 2008

Old     (j_money)      Join Date: May 2006       07-07-2008, 5:54 PM Reply   
Well just got my copy today... July 7, 2008. Honestly its good but I would spend my money on push process, transgression, or the Truth before this one. There are some bangin tricks and pretty decent music but thats about it. Id say the sickest part of the whole movie is the making of Randalls blue octane song in the Bonus.
Old    benj_t            07-07-2008, 6:36 PM Reply   
yea randalls part was my favorite
Old     (dirty)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-07-2008, 8:37 PM Reply   
ya OK movie, but really its just Randall's part that makes it

not hating but it definetly didn't live up to ALL the hype

except for The Vandall who's section was pretty insane as always the rest was just so so

not impressed, they should of just made a whole Radall Harris movie to be honest

but worth seeing at least once though, not worth the money, sorry to be the downer
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-07-2008, 8:45 PM Reply   
can you post up the track list?? pleeeaasee??

seems like the last three movies I've heard of [treansgression, Push process, now Drive] have been "The Vandall who's section was pretty insane as always the rest was just so so "
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-07-2008, 8:47 PM Reply   
Vandall wasn't in Push Process... However, Lyman was and his section was NUTS.

The problem with transgression was that it was well, kind of based around Randall's return, so of course his section was going to be epic.
Old     (mckenna)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-07-2008, 9:02 PM Reply   
is it even worth the money just for randalls section? can the section even be as good as transgression?

any highlights from rusty or dannys sections?
Old     (ejayrock)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-07-2008, 10:26 PM Reply   
Randall's part was a hammer section - that is why it was the first part. But, what about Danny, Rusty, Benny G, Chad? How is Randall's riding the only riding worth seeing in this video?

Danny and Rusty both stomped 1080's and Chad hit a Double TS indy backroll! Plus, with Kilgus - the innovation of shots is always on point. The zip-line shots were super sick!

I think this has a chance to be the video of the year. There was not any dull riding in this video! And the soundtrack was always moving and led you through the movie start to finish with no complaints. And the super 16mm was super clear and showcased the tricks at its best!

DRIVE is definitely one to put on the shelf!
Old    benj_t            07-07-2008, 10:35 PM Reply   
yea vandalls part really got me pumped up to ride. rustys part got me pumped up too.

and benny g went huge!
Old     (hyperliteguy_04)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-08-2008, 6:24 AM Reply   
I would have to agree, i think that Drive is a great movie....i put it right up there with Push Process. With 2 1080's and Randalls section, how could it not be. There is a lot of solid riding in it and probably the 2nd best sound track that i have heard in a movie.

So if you have the chance to purchase this one, do it, i love it!
Old     (j_money)      Join Date: May 2006       07-08-2008, 7:45 AM Reply   
The trailer for Drive for drive is better than the movie. I watched it 4 times now and its still not doin it for me. I remember seein pictures on here from the differrent sites they were at that had rusty and danny ridin doubles, that would have been sick to see. And im not tryin to sound like a hater Rusty's sections was BANGIN but all it is is 3 inverts 18 spins and a sick 1080.... was hopin for some HUGE glides and big blinds cause he makes that look sick!!!
Old     (jboard1)      Join Date: Dec 2007       07-08-2008, 8:27 AM Reply   
Dont listen to all the hate here. Drive is a dope video. Not only is the riding from all the riders top notch, but Kilgus is setting the bar for innovation in his filming techniques. One of his best vids yet, no question.
Old     (j_money)      Join Date: May 2006       07-08-2008, 8:38 AM Reply   
Playlist for Trevor:

Randall: Wont let you down, Chamillionaire
Ben G: Electric feel, MGMT
Jimmy and Adam: Do what you want, Inverse
Jeff: Behold the wolf, Summer binds in the cellar
JD: Peer pressure, Grynch
Trevor and Gabe: Is this home on ice, Clap your hands and say yes
Ruck: Outer Space, Billy Preston
Chad Sharpe: Hands around my throat, Death in vegas
Rusty: Bro hymn, Pennywise
Danny: In my tree, pearl jam

Randalls got a sick bonus with his blue octane song though and if you havent heard it I strongly suggest you check it out!!!
WESTSIDE RIDERS, RANDALL HARRIS AND ROCKWILDER
Old     (j_money)      Join Date: May 2006       07-08-2008, 8:43 AM Reply   
Im not sayin its horrible at all!! Sweet movie for sure. But for the hype that was built for it... i dunno... I guess my expectations were just way to high.
Old     (burberry03)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-08-2008, 8:44 AM Reply   
DRIVE....... well i think it was going to have to be way more than amazing making me wait 2 MONTHS!!!! But im just happy its out and I thought it was good!

I thought vandalls section was good (not as good as his in transgression or lymans push process section) I agree with jesse; I really wanted to see some doubles with rusty and danny, like the teaserz..... Adam Errington should have had his own section.

I love Rusty's style and riding and I thought Rusty's section was pretty good but I liked his section in Updog, ButterEffect, and maybe mastercrafts rewind 08 the same. Wished it was a little bit longer.

Benny G had a good section it seemed to get better the more you watched it too and it had the perfect music for him! Pretty happy with that one. (Truth was the best for him and then drive then buttereffect and then encore)

Danny Harfs section was pretty good, maybe different music, it it was still good

Vandalls section in the bonus was sick!
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-08-2008, 8:55 AM Reply   
I haven't seen it yet, but if they had never leaked the videos of the 10's and Sharpe's double it probably would have held a little more wow factor. I never can pass judgment on a movie that first few times anyway. I am looking forward to seeing it for the Vandall's section if nothing else.
Old     (slaysher)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-08-2008, 9:14 AM Reply   
haters. . . haters . . . haters.

THE MOVIE RIPS!! DRIVE was shot RRRReally well, the cast is F*ing STACKED, with "some of" if not "the" best riders in the industry. yeah randall's part is great, benny G's part will make you wanna ride everytime you see the conditions (went there on the 4th=same conditions) and the MGMT track is ILLLLL !!

i don't know. . . i thought its a step up for KILGUS, his other films were dope, I love Bent Felix to the concussion project. But kilgus brought his "A" game with this flick.

CHEERS TO SEAN for making a great film, and showcasing not only some of the best riders this industry has to offer, but how far the progression of the riding has came in the last few years.

if you have a collection of action sports films. . . DRIVE should definately be in it.

cheers.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-08-2008, 9:23 AM Reply   
I wanted to buy the movie, but now Im thinking its not worth it.

I have a feeling that some of the people on here have seen some of the recent riding by the top riders and anything less is now considered boring. For example KGB 5s, 1080s, BS 9, and crow 7 were all landed in the past month. After seeing these tricks, a solid run from Danny or Rusty doesn't seem as impressive.
Old     (burberry03)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-08-2008, 9:39 AM Reply   
dont get me wrong the movie is worth buying for sure!
Old     (dirty)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-08-2008, 9:47 AM Reply   
hey Im not saying all those riders aren't insane and the best riders in the world, they are, Rusty, Danny, Benny G, Chad, ect...

but other than the 2 1080's and the ts indy double back roll it was nothing really new and innovating

other than Randals part which always has something new and crazy and bigger than before

and for the filming and shots in the movie, sorry to say and Im not trying to say anything bad about Kilgus but it was all old snowboarding angles and shots(zip lines) used along time ago in old MackDawg Productions movies so it wasn't innovating at all but it still was very good

something not used in wakeboarding yet but been used many time in every action sports movies

still not saying it wasn't a good movie but other than Randalls part it didnt live up the the hype of all the last year and all the wait

the 1080's and ts indy backroll I had already seen on line or Fuel TV

so in my opinion not worth the buy but definetly worth watching
Old     (dirty)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-08-2008, 9:55 AM Reply   
so basically what Im saying is it didn't live up to alllllll the hype

other than The Vandall's part which was insane the rest of the movie was ok

but it would of been great if it wasnt for all the hype they've been throwing at us this past year saying it was gonna be the best ever in Wakeboarding Mag and everywhere else, it just didnt live up to it, it was just a good movie not a great one, the best parts, except Randall's, had already been seen other places

I was expecting the best and it was just another wakeboard DVD and without Randall Harris it wouldn't have been all that good

and p.s. Im not a hater at all I love all those riders and I think Sean Kilgus is really talented, but the only person that brought thier A Game and innovation seemed to be Randall Harris, sorry guys hate to be a downer on this one

I'd watch it forsure though
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-08-2008, 10:13 AM Reply   
so what i'm getting is kilgus trying to be "smart" slightly backfired. This video took extremely too long to get to the market (way past advertised dates), and in peoples hands so they could see what they were excited for. Everyone has seen the banger tricks, and like Leo said, recent footage online has blown most of the past years' (or longer) filming away. Hopefully this will be a lesson that no matter how many "new" features a vid might have, getting it out there in a timely fashion is most important.

People should hate all they want if they feel it didn't live up to the hype, it's their money.
Old     (dirty)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-08-2008, 10:27 AM Reply   
A-dub you hit it right on the button
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-08-2008, 10:43 AM Reply   
i thinks its crazy how everyone is hatin on parts cept randys. Harf straight up said this was his best vid. part ever.

i'm gonna watch it tonite so i'll have my own opinion later i guess. i hope you're all wrong.
Old     (bawllaoutacontrol)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-08-2008, 10:47 AM Reply   
A-dub..you ever edited an action film before? cause if you ever have then you would know how crazy of a process it is to make a film like drive. And Dirty, I dont know what else you are looking for in a video...killer rail section, nice music, and yeah randall's part is sick but so is everyone elses...benny g goin huge and danny doing huge moby dick 5's with a grab. Quit hatin

(Message edited by Bawllaoutacontrol on July 08, 2008)
Old     (bawllaoutacontrol)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-08-2008, 10:50 AM Reply   
yes romes! they are all wrong....its my favorite video so far...everyone is killing it and everyone lands they're best tricks...kilgus is awesome! those guys are just mad cause they arent in it! so am i ...haha
Old    benj_t            07-08-2008, 10:57 AM Reply   
true that Poke.
Old    benj_t            07-08-2008, 10:57 AM Reply   
true that Poke.
Old     (dirty)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-08-2008, 11:05 AM Reply   
I'm not hating guys but it didn't live up to all the hype, it wasn't that great, it was really good, but they were making it out as one of the best wakeboarding movies ever which it isn't

and I've edited tons of movies action sports movies and Hollywood films

and because he took soooooo long in the editing process most of the great footage had already been seen and was way out of date, sorry thats just how it is plain and simple

good DVD but not increadible or the best

it wasnt the most innovative movie from the filming, editing, riding aspect at all

and it wasn't Harf's best part, good but he's waaaaaaaaaaaaay better
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-08-2008, 11:07 AM Reply   
i find it hard to believe that a lot of the guys in the vid said they were more stoked ab their sections in this vid than any other and a lot of you guys are sayin it's not all that great?

you guys must know something they dont....like whats really good in the sport today..
Old     (dirty)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-08-2008, 11:10 AM Reply   
and Im not trying to say the movie isn't good, it is

I just don't think it lived up to all the hype over the last year and a half we've been waiting for it

and in my opinion its only worth buying for Randall's part

I liked the rest but wasn't impressed

and with all the hype over this movie I should of been impressed

but you should still watch it cause it's definetly worth checking out
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-08-2008, 11:19 AM Reply   
I was just giving a perspective as to why people would feel it wasn't what they expected, and what I personally saw as a big problem. I have only helped make a few vids (what that has to do with this?), and kilgus is very talented, but he's also getting paid to do this. The market today is demanding more immediate releases, footage is online for free, if he wants to bank he should release it sooner.
Old     (dirty)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-08-2008, 11:27 AM Reply   
sorry just trying to give a detailed explanation on why I thought it didn't live up to the hype or was one of the best wake movies, but it was good

I work everyday in the movie/entertainment industry so Im very critical when something is hyped up this much
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       07-08-2008, 11:28 AM Reply   
Anyone have a link to the trailer?
Old     (j_money)      Join Date: May 2006       07-08-2008, 11:33 AM Reply   
Riders have to say stuff like "ITS MY BEST SECTION EVER" otherwise people wouldnt buy it. And nobody on is here is tryin to convince anyone on here this movie sucks there just simply stating there opinion on how they felt about the movie. I hate asparagus. Im sure some of you love it. But im just saying i dont like it. You gonna convince me asparagus is D-shiznits to????
Old     (j_money)      Join Date: May 2006       07-08-2008, 11:35 AM Reply   
Trailer

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ViwVwvPDOxE
Old     (bawllaoutacontrol)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-08-2008, 12:50 PM Reply   
asparagus doesnt grab moby dick 5's and A-dub...i have never edited professional videos before but I was saying that to make you guys be more positive about the release being so late. Im sure Kilgus wasn't going out to the clubs every night when he should be in the computer room editing DRIVE...after all, its his job and im sure he's been ready for this video to come out more than any of us. Im just saying that you guys treat wakeboarding videos like its a regular movie like Hancock...or any of those new movies in the theater....watch it and respect it...if you don't like the soundtrack...cool...speak your opinion on wakeworld....if you think someones section was too short...yeah ....let us know on wakeworld...but dont get on here and critique it like a vin diesel movie...just watch it and respect it....i mean what else do you want....justin stephens slow motion camera filming harf's 1080's????...i dont think some people know that much about wakeboarding...watch drive again and see exactly what tricks he is doing...if you know your stuff you should be stoked! sorry im getting hyped over this..i guess i just hate when people feel like no matter how good something is they can always find a flaw...i watched the premiere in acworth and all the riders were so stoked when they're part came on and when it was over i saw people giving high fives and giving them props on their part in the video...thats whats cool to me...not someone who can find out everything thats wrong.

(Message edited by Bawllaoutacontrol on July 08, 2008)
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-08-2008, 1:04 PM Reply   
Maybe he wasn't going to the clubs, but he sure was premiering it at the clubs the last few months. I haven't said a word about the riding, other than some of it is from last year, it's still going to impress me. I think you're reading too far into these comments(critiques) and taking them personal. The riding is sick, the vid is sick, but the "business" decisions regarding the video were not intelligent. I do watch it and respect it. I like Harf's section better than Harris'. I'm out of the norm. I also respect that people work hard for their $25, and were expecting more.....
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-08-2008, 1:56 PM Reply   
After reading 12 of the exact same comments, and even without seeing the movie myself, It seems that A-Dub said it best, Kilgus shouldn't have leaked the footage of Sharpes indy double backroll, etc., because he should have had it out earlier, it seemed that kilgus was trying to build way too much suspense, and since the riding took place, what was insane then is old news now compared to the KGB 5, Crow 7, and B/S 9. Thank you for the playlist Jesse.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       07-08-2008, 3:08 PM Reply   
UNBELIEVABLE..... Is all I have to say on this thread.
Old     (ejayrock)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-08-2008, 3:14 PM Reply   
I'm right there with you Hahn.
Old     (hart_keene)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-08-2008, 3:24 PM Reply   
C'mon guys!!!! $23.95 at Action Sports. That is one f-ing set behind the boat!

Did you expect every trick in the vid to be something you hadn't seen before?? Gimme a break! This has more NEW bangers thrown down in one vid since I can remember.

Trust me guys, this will more than wet your whistle till the next "big" release hits shelves. Then you can pick that vid apart....I can just see it now: "the vid would have been sick if Harf would have held that grab a little longer on the 10..."

Oh yeah, as far as people complaining about soundtracks...Do you know how hard it is to choose music that appeals to EVERYONE???? It is literally impossible! Get real guys!
Old     (burbanized)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-08-2008, 4:00 PM Reply   
The DVD is off da hook, soundtrack and everything

Randall ROCKS
Old     (dirty)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-08-2008, 5:00 PM Reply   
daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn

sorry guys all I was trying to say was it didn't live up to all the super hype going around this movie for the past year, with how long it took to put out, all the magazine articles on it, the rider lineup, all the online hype and everyone taking about it I expected ALOT more and the only thing that truly impressed me was Randalls section

its a good movie though go see it
Old     (dirty)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-08-2008, 5:02 PM Reply   
and don't you just love being able to voice your opinions on the internet!

remember people its all just individuals opinions
Old     (j_money)      Join Date: May 2006       07-08-2008, 5:22 PM Reply   
I still dont like asparagus....
Old     (mckenna)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-08-2008, 6:18 PM Reply   
did kilgus even film chads double back roll himself?

has chad landed more than one?

because it was actually filmed by an aussie and used in the film OZINUS which came out around this time last year.
Old     (wake2blake)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-08-2008, 7:09 PM Reply   
people are crazy
this movie is soo sick
and Randall's part is for sure not the best
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-08-2008, 7:12 PM Reply   

quote:

By blake carmichael (wake2blake) on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 7:09 pm:

people are crazy

why, cause they have a different opinion than yours?

either way, i can't wait to see it.
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-08-2008, 9:07 PM Reply   
I will prbobly end up buying it sooner or later for

1. Sharpe's Section
2. JD's Section
3. Danny's Toe 10
4. Randall's Section

Edit: As for the complaints about the music selection, I have to agree, when it comes to music for a section, you shouldn't worry about finding songs for everyone to like, you need songs that match up with the riding in that section, i.e. for Benny G, I will not stop by MaxOne in the butter effect matched perfectly with his riding style, Chad Sharpe and Dues Ex Machine Gun matched well with his riding, Da Rockwilda by Method Man matched perfectly with Randalls riding, not because of the video editing but because it matched their style. I'm not saying it's easy, but it's definately possible.

(Message edited by hawk7 on July 08, 2008)
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-08-2008, 9:15 PM Reply   
If you're buying a film just to see three or four tricks then there's your problem right there. I could find more 'wow' tricks on youtube in 10 minutes than are in any of the latest videos, but thats not why I buy these films. I'm looking for a well put together film that makes me want to get out and ride, and hopefully when I see Drive it does just that.
Old     (liquidmalibu)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-08-2008, 10:35 PM Reply   
I agree with Roddyrod.

If you want to see 1080's and ts double backrolls just watch them seperatly dont buy a movie. These movies are made so we can see all that a rider has to offer. some of the more memorable tricks in movies are pretty standard but done with unique style.
Old     (bawllaoutacontrol)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-09-2008, 2:49 PM Reply   
Didnt mean to get so hyped on this thread guys....
I guess its because sometimes this forum gets a little out of hand in a negative way and I started typing and i couldnt stop..haha
Plus...even though the release was late...i saw the premiere in acworth with an incredibly loud sound system and a huge screen with all the pros standing around me...so i guess that atmosphere made it just that much better. so i apologize if i offended anyone in any way....and Jesse ..I dont think i like asparagus either...haha.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-09-2008, 3:58 PM Reply   
i watched a little of it earlier. Randals sect was pretty good. he makes things so difficult look so simple. much respect.

harf's part was killer. best in the vid i thought. he kills it on so many different levels. the end of his part where he's chargin from all sides of the wake hittin reg/switch heel/toe fs/bs 7's 9's and 10's is just stupid sick.
Old     (ben_miller_407)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-09-2008, 6:56 PM Reply   
Drive is a great movie. Chads double TS double backroll was shot twice. Kilgus's footage never leaked. Yeah, so the release was a little late, get over it. It's a great movie and it will continue to stay that way in the future regardless of when it was released. And dirty, how many times do we have to scroll through your endless posts about drive not living up to the hype. I think we got the point on the first post.
Old     (shredsickgnar)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-09-2008, 11:06 PM Reply   
I am a hater so you might just want to dismiss my opinion. In my opinion, the filming was great. There were some really cool shots. The riding was awesome! Some really sick tricks are in this video, although I did expect more from some of the riders. The editing and the music were just horrible, in my opinion. I was very disappointed. A wake video should make you want to go ride and try tricks that you saw in the video. Drive did not do this for me despite the awesome riding and the great 16mm work. The Butter Effect remains one of my favorite films and I hope Sean's next film can be more like The Butter Effect than Bent Felix and Drive......
Old     (da_kamp)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-09-2008, 11:18 PM Reply   
ordered it nonetheless earlier, just off of what i'm hearing about vandalls segment.

It might show up on youtube slightly after arriving
Old     (bawllaoutacontrol)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-10-2008, 1:05 AM Reply   
aight im not through...all you haters need to start a new thread for how drive sucks and the release date sucks. i bet you guys could do better filming, riding, and editing too huh? "wake video should make you want to ride" "drive did not do this for me".....you must be a kneeboarder or a professional weiner tube rider cause that video should make anyone want to wakeboard.
Old     (billy_og)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-10-2008, 7:40 AM Reply   
Danny and Rusty's riding was the best by far... and trick wise Harf's part was the best anyone has ever had in a video.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-10-2008, 8:44 AM Reply   
i second that billy g...i watched harfs part like 4 times again last nite when i got home...sick sick sick...hes so raw i mean c'mon parks said he was the best ever
Old     (kevin_bird)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-10-2008, 10:26 AM Reply   
IMO its one of the best movies ive ever seen. Every section is a great one. Danny and Randy's Sections are ridiculous and every rider has numerous tricks that i havent seen or havent seen done the way they do them. Like LaRiche's Switch HS BS tail grab 5 way out in the flats. Or McKees toeside indy three that he shifties the opposite direction before spinning. Im kind of wondering if the bashers on this thread know exactly the tricks these guys are doing in the vid. I personally have watched the vid countless times and whenever anyone gets on the houseboat its the one were watching.

Congrats Kilgus, your best yet hands down, look forward to seeing whats to come next year.