Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 18, 2009

Old     (azpowerhouse)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-05-2008, 2:23 PM Reply   
Has anyone on here tried to launch/retrieve their boat in dirt/rocks/stone? Some spots are hardstone like cement, other spots are 2-4inch gravel, not too much dirt, but some. I would say the incline is a typical ramp incline.

Usually I have to put the rear tires a little way in the water to get the boat to float.

Truck has limited slip, with nitto grapplers but only 2wd. Power is not an issue. Spinning the tires might be.

Am I going to get stuck, anyone with experience?
Old     (mtnm2)      Join Date: Apr 2008       06-05-2008, 2:33 PM Reply   
I have done it with a 4wd V8 Jeep, 2wd is going to be very very hard
Old     (showmedonttellme)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-05-2008, 2:33 PM Reply   
We launch at Camp Far all the time on dirt/rocks, gentle slope though, almost flat. Pulling out is a different story...we always use 4wd. Plus, if its a 'camp' thing and you're launching more than once you get ruts and half to move. Would recommend it unless you have a backup plan with a 4WD to pull ya out.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-05-2008, 2:34 PM Reply   
Tire spin... rock dings all over the boat...
Old     (bob_l)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-05-2008, 2:54 PM Reply   
dont.

But if you must, get some very large ground scraping mud flaps

http://www.towtector.com/shop/category.asp?catid=2

or your gelcoat and wind shield will be toast.
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-05-2008, 3:19 PM Reply   
im with jarrod.. both growing up in new zealand, my wife and i used to drop our 18' hamilton jet boat anywhere along the river that was feasible for our old fj.. we have lots of gravel banks in NZ and the problem isn't launching the boat, it is loading the boat back on and getting her back out of the rocks, gravel, sand, etc of the incline.. back in the day, with 4wd engaged, i would just have her give me a little push with the 383 stroker after she loaded on the trailer and sometimes that would help with momentum.. i wouldn't want to guess the mess with a 2wd? but then again, we are kiwis and kiwis will try anything usually once.. i would not recommend at all with 2wd, even with a 4wd unless it is an absolute must.. also, if you are powerloading, be careful of the sediment and rocks that are waiting for you on the bottom of the ramp to churn up with your prop and eff up your gel, as well as get in the intake..
Old     (freshtracks)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-05-2008, 3:27 PM Reply   
drop it into first gear and take your time. let the trans and the gears do the work.
Old     (elc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       06-05-2008, 4:02 PM Reply   
I usually use a 2wd tundra with limited slip (the boat is 21.5 foot v-drive) to launch. The ramps that we launch from the most frequent are either a steep slippery ramp, or a more gradual gravel/concrete/mud ramp. Although my wife is usually the one backing up the truck and pulling the boat out of the water, I would rather launch from the gravel ramp. We pull the boat out real slow and the truck does fine. My wife may have spun the tires slightly the first time she tried, now she has no problem.
I guess it really depends on how steep the ramp is you are launching from.
BTW- we have stock tires that need to be replaced.
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-05-2008, 4:10 PM Reply   
you could always just sell your trailer and call this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzVvqO_YYdw&feature=related
Old     (boarder_x)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-05-2008, 5:22 PM Reply   
ManFox,

I clicked that link. Just as it was starting, the guy outside doing the leaf blowing got going. So I got the smell of gas, while watching.

It felt much more realistic that way. Who needs a tv that has LED's that light up the wall. Smell is the sense that needs to be tapped when watching tv.

.... Or taste, for beer commercials.
Old     (azpowerhouse)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-06-2008, 5:53 PM Reply   
Thanks guys.
Say it is more like sold rock (similar to cement, sandstone?), not gravel....

Should I try it?
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-06-2008, 8:12 PM Reply   
No problem unless it's mossy or wet.
Old     (lakeski)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-07-2008, 12:44 AM Reply   
We launch on two different "natural" ramps. One is a gradual packed-sand incline. I'd try 2wd on this one, as long as you don't gun the engine.

The other ramp is quite steep and uneven with gravel, grass and sand. It is an ugly ramp that is probably used less than a dozen times per year. Sometimes 4wd can't pull the boat out. When I get stuck, I back the boat in a bit deeper so I can put the truck on a different angle on the ramp to get a new grip where all 4 wheels contribute to the pull. If one of the wheels is over a rut, it will spin and the truck won't get enough traction to pull the boat anywhere. Patience is the key on this ramp, because it can take a few tries to get things moving.
Old     (tdiggity)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-07-2008, 8:42 AM Reply   
throw a fat sack or some weight in the bed of the truck put it in first gear and EASE it out slow and steady, bring some strips of carpet and put those under the wheels if they start spinning works well when offroading i dont see why it wouldnt in this application.
Old     (wakestar517)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-07-2008, 8:59 AM Reply   
go for it but when you are pulling out out it in first and hold slight pressure on the break to prevent spinning it will be fine as long as you don't start out spinning!
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-07-2008, 9:51 AM Reply   
Air down the tires a bit, use the boat to help push, make sure somebody with a full size 4wd is close by.
Old    Ben Kerran            06-07-2008, 11:50 AM Reply   
Trey has good point above. Be sure to have some weight in the back of the truck while pulling it out. I always spun the tires on my F-150 on steeper/wet ramps. Always cured by throuwing a buddy or two in the bed/on the bumper. I would be concerned with the rocks though.
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-07-2008, 5:59 PM Reply   
2wd should be sweet depending on the weight of your boat. We use a similar ramp (concrete/gravel) that is usually muddy and wet after the tide has dropped and it has seen some use during the day and also have to dip the rears. Hardly ever need to use 4wd to get her out. You will need to be careful about chucking rocks though, and going sideways

(Message edited by jtnz on June 07, 2008)
Old     (azpowerhouse)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-07-2008, 6:45 PM Reply   
Thanks guys, some very good tips given.

originally I had the limited slip put in because I could not make it up sandy roads with the boat, and I also swapped the tires.

Today was another awa event (wake comp in az) I re analyzed the situation at the cove. Everyone else has 4wd. The next event at the same place is in a month or so. In some spots it is mostly sand stone, in other spots it is mostly sand, and some are half and half, bigger rocks mixed in.

Here is the plan: Make mudflaps with carpet and two by fours. Bring carpet to put down. And bring 2-3 440 fat sacs to fill up.

If it fails, I guys someone else can pull the boat out for me.

I think I have a 50% chance of getting it to work, If I get the right spot. Any last tips? I will let you all know how it turns out. Thanks
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-08-2008, 5:42 PM Reply   
Avoid a soft bottom, if you sink the trailer when you put the boat back on you will be making friends with a 4wd owner pretty quick.