Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 21, 2008

Old     (trickyboarder08)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-05-2008, 4:32 PM Reply   
I need to get a HU for my '82 Ski nautique. I was thinking about cutting a whole in the dash and having the HU right there. But I hear all this talk about wired remotes. Why do people put there HU in the glove box or out of the way? If the HU is waterproof then it shouldn't be to kkep it from getting wet. And the wired remote can't be easier to use, so what exactly is it?
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-05-2008, 4:33 PM Reply   
Keeps it from being stolen if it's locked up.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-05-2008, 4:42 PM Reply   
I see almost no need for a head unit these days.

REMOTE->IPOD->PREAMP->AMPS->SPEAKERS.

Does anyone listen to the radio on the water?
Does anyone use the amps built into the head unit?
Old     (trickyboarder08)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-05-2008, 4:44 PM Reply   
ok, so how do you do it without a head unit exactly. Never seen this done. What is a preamp, and where do I get one, does it work with any amp? Also, what if you have 2 amps, or 3 amps? And what remote do you need. kinda like this no HU way of doing it, it must be cheaper?
Old     (snowboardcorey)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-05-2008, 4:45 PM Reply   
I put a HU in my 78' Ski Tique and I opted to cut a hole in the dash for the install. The boat was pretty small and the dash was really the only good spot to mount it.

Like Bill said it keeps the stereo out of sight if its in the glove box. Also a remote allows both the driver and the observer to control the stereo.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-05-2008, 4:53 PM Reply   
One good reason for a head unit...... we'll pull into a cove or up to a beach, setup one Ipod on an FM transmitter & have all the boats in the area dial in that FM station. Crank it up & rock the cove!

Also, taking the boat out to the hydro races. If you have no radio, you don't know who's winning!
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-05-2008, 10:29 PM Reply   
Brandon, I don't know how to do it, I was just thinking out loud. Sorry about that.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-05-2008, 10:47 PM Reply   
GD,

I keep the head unit for versatility but in truth rarely use it.

The folks in my crew have nice systems, FM transmitters do not do the music justice. It's easy to use RCA's to go boat to boat.

A simple switch and turn the system on/off. You can get a variety of remotes for the IPOD. If you really need to get listen to the radio just hook up a FM Walkman to the IPOD jack and listen to whatever low fidelity FM signal being transmitted.
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       02-05-2008, 10:51 PM Reply   
If you didnt want a head unit look at wetsounds 420 Its an eq with zoned volume control 12volt outputs and two aux inputs one for boat link and another you could hook in an ipod or mp3 player. you run rcas out of the eq and to your amps your done no head unit. oh ya and it has a pa system so you can raise your voice to tell the ladies on the beach whats up.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-05-2008, 11:22 PM Reply   
I have never listened to the radio in my boat.
I would rather have an ipod dock over a cd player.
I also don't need the head unit controls if I have a remote.

Kind of interesting.

I would like a ipod dock with preamp and wired remote control.

Or, I can buy a new head unit and never use the radio, cd player, the amps, or the controls on the face plate.
Old     (wakedoctor)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-06-2008, 4:30 AM Reply   
The only reason I do the whole wired remote is because the HU is in the glove box on the other side of the boat. IMO wired remotes are a hassle. Back when I was trying to replace an old one I had to buy a new radio to get the replacement to work.