Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 12, 2008

Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-15-2007, 11:28 AM Reply   
I have been looking at picking up a Denali Quad Cab. Does anyone out there actually own one of these trucks?

One of my concerns is that it is full time four wheel drive, which tends to kill mileage and tire wear.

I would also be interested in knowing:
- real world gas mileage
- towing capabilities (I currently have the 6.0 in my H2 and I am not all that impressed - although the Hummer is much heavier)
- When I sat in the back seat at the dealer, seemed a little cramped.
- Overall how is the ride?

I would appreciate any thoughts that you might have. Thanks
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-15-2007, 12:06 PM Reply   
All Wheel Drive would be the only truck I'd buy unless I was using the truck for serious off roading and wanted to be able to lock all the differentials. Audi tested there all wheel drive systems in the early stages of design and figured that from about 55 mph on the gas mileage was the same or better with AWD. The system does weigh more than 2WD but not more than 4WD so gas mileage would be slightly better with 2WD. I've owned AWD for 22 years and have never had tire wear issues. In fact the rear tires last longer.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-15-2007, 12:12 PM Reply   
Thanks Art, I have noticed on my H2, that I have pretty aggressive tire wear out the outside edges of my front tires with its all wheel drive. I assumed it was because of the AWD but it simply could be a design issue with the H2.
Old     (ridininmd)      Join Date: Jun 2006       11-15-2007, 2:34 PM Reply   
I used to have a Silverado SS which was the same truck except extended cab. I was getting about 16mpg, with exhaust and an intake on it. Ran the original tires about 43,000 miles, only replaced them because I got puncture on one of them.

You should like the 6.0 in this truck better than the hummer, the Hummer would have the LQ4 motor in it. The Denali will have the LQ9 which is a higher compression version of the LQ4 (10:1) Horsepower and torque are higher in the LQ9 as well.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       11-15-2007, 3:20 PM Reply   
My buddy has an 06 white one and barely gets 13 at best ever. Towing he gets under 10.
Old     (h2oaddiction)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-15-2007, 11:14 PM Reply   
I currently have the '05 Sierra Denali. For a truck the ride is great but not like the auto ride in the regular Yukon Denali. With our current boat, we get about 10-11 towing at 65. Average mixed driving is 16.5 and pure hwy is about 18-20. The 4:10 rear end and all wheel drive does lower milage. My current milage is with a custom tune.

I have 50,000 miles on the stock (winter) tires and summer tires. They still each have 50%+ tread. The suspension set-up can have more to due with tire wear than the AWD. Our Audis wear tires, but that is due to the sport suspension set up (toe-in). Like Pete said this is a better engine than in the H2.