Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 28, 2007

Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-10-2007, 6:59 AM Reply   
First off, thanks to everyone who has helped me so far with this esp. the people at Wetsounds. I am trying to decide which wetsounds set up I am going to use. I have narrowed it down to a threesome or four pro 60's. Amp power in a non issue with my PPI 4125. I am trying to achieve good, loud sound for surfing and partying on the back and around the boat. If I go with the pro 60's I do not have to purchase another amp or do not have to redesign my custom amp rack. If I go with the threesome I will have to add another amp for my hull speakers as well as redesign and rebuild my amp rack.

My main question/concern is this: Will the Pro 60's sound to tingy (too heavy on the high's) in and around the boat. I already feel that they will be loud enough in and around the boat. I am use to 4 6x9's and I do like thier tone but not satisfied with their overall output.

Thanks for you help and once again thanks to all those who have been helping me with this concern.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-10-2007, 7:25 AM Reply   
IMO,

If your looking for good sound in the boat, pro audio isn't the way to go. I deliberated back and forth prior to purchasing my pro audio, and finally decided I prefer loud clear music behind the boat vs clean sound inside it. Pro audio is specifically designed to project sound out and away from the boat. I've yet to hear a setup that can compare to conventional car audio in a boat. If you go with the 60's you'll probably have less of a "tinging" sound than if you go with the Threesome. The horn in the 485 is going to be real bright in and around the boat when you crank the setup.

(Message edited by Seattle on October 10, 2007)
Old    mendo247            10-10-2007, 7:45 AM Reply   
Go with the pro 60's, i have four Pro 80's and as far as "pro audio" is concerned i think they are the best sounding in and around the boat.
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-10-2007, 7:49 AM Reply   
Richard,

Are you saying that the Pro 60's sound the best or Pro 80's sound the best?

Thanks for your help
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       10-10-2007, 7:49 AM Reply   
I hear alto of people say how pro audio does sound that good in and around the boat. I have to disagree. I get compliments quite a bit on the way mine sounds (Wetsounds threesome setup currently, used to have 4 pro 80’s. ) …and that’s from people yelling at me (over the stereo) on my back swim deck. Now a setup with 6-8 6.5’s may sound a tad better to a trained ear, but most systems I hear cranked up just don’t sound as good compared to what I have. I’ve heard a couple 6x9 systems that can get loud and sound good in and around the boat, but when you start looking at cost, it’s usually cheaper and easier to just go with the pro audio setup. Get some decent well powered interior speakers and your system will blend very well with a pro audio setup on your tower, and don’t forget the subs. I can’t tell you how many systems I’ve heard where people are trying to get too much out of what they have. .
Old     (darinmg)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-10-2007, 7:50 AM Reply   
Why would the horn from the 485 be any more bright than the 60's or 80's around the boat? The only difference between the two is the shape of the horn, I THINK. The 485 is supposed to project the sound a little better, and keep the sound out of the interior of the boat. Not sure why you would want pro audio for partying in the boat. Seems like over kill, IMO.
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-10-2007, 7:53 AM Reply   
Darin, overkil is buying a brand new $70 k boat when a $25k boat would do the job Overkill is the name of the game
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-10-2007, 7:57 AM Reply   
Adam,

I have four wetsounds XS 650 getting 125 watts apiece and JL 12w6v2 getting 500 watts. I think this will be sufficient for the non tower speakers.
Old     (darinmg)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-10-2007, 8:02 AM Reply   
I understand the whole overkill thing. I should have worded that differently. I was thinking it would be almost uncomfortable to be so close and in the line of fire for the wetsounds while partying. I guess it would depend on the party situation.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-10-2007, 9:00 AM Reply   
Uncomfortable is an understatement!

Line up multiple pro audio boats, add booze, throw in some buzzed chicks in bikinis, and watch the boys try and out blast each other. You just can't get the music loud enough.

Nothing is more annoying and horrible sounding than when your in close proximity to a bunch of guys tied up blasting their pro audio setup over the guys trying doing the same thing next to them.

Again,

Pro audio is designed for the rider while riding, not for tying up and blasting the crap out of everyone (whether or not they like it) on the lake. It's this mentality that is causing the local lake cops to crack down big time and hand nasty tickets out left and right.
Old     (fletch_tx)      Join Date: Aug 2003       10-10-2007, 9:12 AM Reply   
hah...I guess that's why Wetsounds just came out with their WS-420 2-zone EQ with system linking capability. Now all those guys can link their pro-audio boats together!
Old     (fletch_tx)      Join Date: Aug 2003       10-10-2007, 9:13 AM Reply   
ohh..and I have a pair of Pro-80's, and I think they're a bit bright...especially compared to the 485's. I'm wanting to get a second EQ or the new 2-zone EQ from WS, so I can tune the Pro80's separately from my interior speakers.
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-10-2007, 10:36 AM Reply   
cliff, you sound like my dad; I guess you probably want me to turn down that rap s_it too
Old     (angrygolucky)      Join Date: Jun 2006       10-10-2007, 11:47 PM Reply   
I find that given the directionality of the speakers, in the boat bleed sounds more midrangey. I have 4 pro80's and the only place they sound bright is standing on the back with your face right in them!
I have an issue with the threesome collapsing your signal to mono, so I'd say go with the pro60/80s..
Old     (mlb75)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-15-2007, 2:51 AM Reply   
OK I'll jump in here as well since I'm getting ready to start down this same road.

I've got a new Tomcat and the stereo that came with the boat sounds great IN the boat but as soon as you get outside the boat it just can't keep up. I was thinking of getting a set of the 485's and running them with a RF 600.2. I want it for when I'm riding but to be honest we spend as much time just hanging out swimming and generally just BS'ing around so I want it to sound amazing around the boat as well. Another thought would be two sets of Pro80's or a set of Pro80's and a set of 60's... Which setup would you guys recommend for me or should I maybe go the traditional 6x9 or 6.5 route since I want it for close proximity to the boat as well?

Thanks
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       10-15-2007, 9:19 AM Reply   
Murphy, 4 PRO 60's would work great for you since you have the amp already. Mike, I think you would be set going with the pair of 485's or 2 pairs of 80's for both the rider and for the in and around the boat.

Don't let a HLCD based speaker deter you into going with a car audio based speaker for the close proximity.

Our speakers sound great for in and around the boat as well as the rider. It just depends on what you do with the volume control! And what amps and head unit etc...Any of the comments on bright etc...are all in the hands of what amps and what settings and what volume is set. Not the speakers. It is really hard to judge a system because you only hear the speakers. Not the rest of the system. But the speakers are at the end of the line so they get the blame. Just like cliff mentioned. When you get some frosty beverages involved and multiple guys lined up. Most rip of the volume knob.

You can always turn it down but if you don't have the ability from the start, you cannot go up. It's like a performance car. It is nice to have the horsepower there when you want it, even if you don't use it all the time.

The Horn in the 485 is different than the 80 and 60. Not just the shape of the horn. It is a titanium compression driver just like the 80 and 60 but it is much larger. It handles more power and plays lower frequencies. The 485 when has more mid range.

The WS-420 will be shipping by the end of the year. I attached the ad below. The boat link is to be used so what Cliff was talking about doesn't happen. You can tie multiple boats together and all play one source. So there is no blasting back and forth and over each other. Plus if all the boats are playing the same tunes, you don't have to turn it up as much and can save your battery etc...Now I know it will probably happen! 15 boats with all HLCD tower speakers all linked with the volume knobs ripped off. We always tell people to use common sense and respect others. But cannot control how people use their boats.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Upload