Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-19-2011, 2:47 PM Reply   
John - I can increase our nation's life expectancy for free...eat less, exercise more, don't smoke, and don't do drugs. None of these add to your healthcare costs and will do far more than any medicine, testing, or exam could do currently.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-20-2011, 8:13 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubanks01 View Post
John - I can increase our nation's life expectancy for free...eat less, exercise more, don't smoke, and don't do drugs. None of these add to your healthcare costs and will do far more than any medicine, testing, or exam could do currently.
Well that's the approach I take. But our economy is based on selling crap for food and promoting ill health. Not to mention promoting ill health through prescription medicine. The govt should be subsidizing growing healthy vegetables instead of propping up the GDP by subsidizing corn.

I just read an article in the newspaper this morning about school nurses and the lack of funding for them. In a side note one nurse mentioned that years ago she didn't used to have a single insulin dependant child and now that are about a hundred in the local school district. You guys not wanting the govt to be involved in health care are wasting your breath. It's inevitable because health is a national crisis just like jobs.
Old    SamIngram            01-20-2011, 8:46 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly135 View Post
Well that's the approach I take. But our economy is based on selling crap for food and promoting ill health. Not to mention promoting ill health through prescription medicine. The govt should be subsidizing growing healthy vegetables instead of propping up the GDP by subsidizing corn.

I just read an article in the newspaper this morning about school nurses and the lack of funding for them. In a side note one nurse mentioned that years ago she didn't used to have a single insulin dependant child and now that are about a hundred in the local school district. You guys not wanting the govt to be involved in health care are wasting your breath. It's inevitable because health is a national crisis just like jobs.
Yes, the government will provide for you....

The government shouldn't be involved in anything relating to our food or our jobs. Man is not perfect and as a result can be corrupted. In a free market the corrupt guy eventually goes out of business. When the corrupt man is the government the corruption is protected and even subsidized.

The Food Safety Modernization Act (S.510) will do nothing but promote big government food and help out the big food corporations with their genetically modified (GM) foods. It has so many regulations that the small farmer will not be able to compete anymore. Our government is killing us.

My family has been farming for five generations in the US and many, many more Ireland, after me, no one in our family will farm or probably ever ride on a tractor. The government has killed our family farm with subsidies, but mostly through control via Wickard v. Filburn.

They paid my family $485 an acre not grow anything last year in IL, but subsidized a guy here in Mesa, AZ to grow corn. WTF is that all about?

I get idea that you think the government is the answer, but you can you point anything that the US government has don successfully? What about successfully without trampling on basic human rights? What about any other government system? Can you point to one where government control has solve the problems of society?
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-20-2011, 9:28 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIngram View Post
I get idea that you think the government is the answer, but you can you point anything that the US government has don successfully? What about successfully without trampling on basic human rights? What about any other government system? Can you point to one where government control has solve the problems of society?
I pretty agree with the stuff I clipped. But you can't just say the govt shouldn't be doing XYZ, when the govt has it's hands in everything. The govt subsdizes corn and the effect is the economy switches to feeding everyone cheap crappy food, then they get fat and sick.

OTOH you can't even imagine with it would be like with no govt intervention. Roads, electricity, communications, water, education are all services created by govt intervention. A lot of those things in the list I'd say have solved problems with society. Free enterprise is no better at serving the public at large. Everyone thinks that the govt should be involved with defense. But it's done pretty horribly with that as well by getting into numerous wars since WWII that have nothing to do with national security.

Seems like the only time the public at large complains about the govt is when they are trying to help people. If they think their fellow man is getting a free buck, then they're enraged. But when corporate America is getting the free bucks, while simultaneously taking away our freedoms, the public at large is quiet as a lamb to the slaughter.