Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       05-08-2011, 9:55 AM Reply   
After chatting to a couple people who have changed props on 210's I'm just wondering if anybody's seen any good things with changing a prop on a VLX? I've heard they help you plane faster and help fuel economy. Any idea which prop I should look at?
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-08-2011, 12:04 PM Reply   
Brian,

What year VLX do you have? What prop do you have on your boat right now?

I am by far no prop expert, but I did just switch over from the ACME 1939 to the OJ Fusion 532 on my '11 VLX. It made a significat difference in the holeshot/low end compared to the 1939. I spent the last couple seasons with my old boat using the ACME 1235 which after using the 532 is very comparable. If you are looking for a good wakeboard/surf prop might want to look into the 532 or ACME 1235. After taking the boat out with the 1939 I knew right away I would be going back to the 1235 or 532. I felt the boat had a difficult time getting on plaine.... however, you will loose some top-end performance with the 532, but cruising in the 30-35MPH range still is do-able, you will probably top out around 41-42 MPH.

Just my opinion.... I am sure others here will also have some good feedback for you. There are a lot of prop options available.... Eric at OJ props has been great to deal with, he is the expert and can probably anwer all your questions.
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-08-2011, 10:00 PM Reply   
I just purchased the Acme 1615 andshould be getting it tomorrow. I run about 4000 lbs in my boat and acme said it was the better choice with my engine. I will let you know tuesday when i take a set.
Old     (spencerwm)      Join Date: Feb 2009       05-09-2011, 12:39 PM Reply   
I definitely shared the "fuel economy" information with my wife. I left out that it would take a long time to actually pay for the prop. How much ballast do you run and what motor did you get? Do you ever run the boat at high elevations?

I have had great results with both Acme and OJ props. I would take a look at the Acme 1433, or 1235. I usually stick with them since they are the OEM prop on Malibu's. You will get more hole shot with the 1235 but you will lose some speed as Travis mentioned above. By using the 1433 you will get more low end torque but will stay above 40mph on the top end. it really comes down to how much ballast you run and what motor you have. Chances are you would not need the 1615 unless your boat has a giant weight problem and you like to ride near Interlochen Switzerland.
Old     (brainrinse)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-09-2011, 6:49 PM Reply   
Spencer, I thought the 1433 was identical to the 1235, just a slightly smaller diameter?
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-09-2011, 10:22 PM Reply   
Well my boat has a giant weight problem, running 4-5k everyday is alot to move around plus i only have the monson 340. Not a great combination.
Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       05-10-2011, 5:27 PM Reply   
Sorry forgot about this thread for a while. My bad. Cheers for all the input though already

I'm running off a 2007 VLX with the standard 340 monsoon engine. We'd usually ride with all tanks full (so 1250lbs?) and the wedge 3/4 way down but we came across a 500lb fat sac recently and will probably start using that too. Also the amount of people varies but usually there'd be 4/5 people but a couple times a year we have it packed to the teeth with 12 people. I'm not 100% on what prop we're currently using but as far as I know we just got a standard one, but we damaged that and I think the replacement was the same model or as close as we could get.

Mostly we only use the boat for wakeboarding. My parents long ago gave up trying to ski and we'd surf very rarely, though my dad occasionally does a bit of tricking.

Also if it matters I think the water depth is around 15ft on average, and I can't see us being too concerned with shaving a bit off top speed for a faster planing and better fuel economy. What's the difference between 3 and 4 blades too?
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-11-2011, 9:46 AM Reply   
You have thesame boat as me, engine and all. I just purchased the 1615 and used it last night:

Great hole shot when pushing 4k
crused around at 34 mph

I would go with the 1235 just becasue you dont run that much weight. But once again call acme right before you order.
Old     (CDoogles)      Join Date: Feb 2011       05-11-2011, 9:52 AM Reply   
Michael, what were your RPMs at 34mph? I'm thinking of swapping the 1235 for the 1615, as I'm in the same boat as you...running 4500-5k and wedge with the Monsoon 340 in my VLX.
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-11-2011, 10:24 AM Reply   
I want to say 4k, I will probably go ride tonight and id like to check. I could cruse at 34 but i never maxed it out. I maybe went to my spot going 29-30. Hopefully i will ride tonight and can confurm that.
Old     (spencerwm)      Join Date: Feb 2009       05-12-2011, 11:32 AM Reply   
I think the Acme 1235 would be the best choice.