Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 04, 2009

Old     (trdon)      Join Date: Sep 2007       08-25-2009, 7:16 PM Reply   
So fricking ugly!!!!! I am seriously a pen push away from buying one next week (because I am out of town for work until then) but am seriously having second thoughts becasue I hate the tower. The color is nice, the boat has low hours, the price is decent, the wife likes it, but I seriously hat the tower so much, I may wait for another boat to come along.

I dont need a boat, I have a 93 sport with a tower now that I am trying to sell. I have wanted a SAN really bad for a while now and I just decided to look really hard to get one. There have been a few here and there and I was looking for about 30K when this near mint 04 with a few extras came around for a bit more than that but it is really sweet, except the tower. I can wait but fear that it might be a long while for that one to come to me somewhat locally.

Am I crazy? Help me rationalize this. I am literally going out of my mind trying to decide this. I need come conversation and comments for me to chew on. I fear spending better than 30k on a boat that I might not be 100% about.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-25-2009, 7:29 PM Reply   
If you really hate the tower that much either don't buy the boat because you will never be happy or sell the old tower and put on a gen. 2 tower for about 2k.
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       08-25-2009, 7:30 PM Reply   
Ugly? You're kidding...

Get a new tower, swap the one on your Sport.
Old     (trdon)      Join Date: Sep 2007       08-25-2009, 7:38 PM Reply   
I fear getting a new tower because that makes this a much less of a deal than it would normally be. My 93 sport tower would not fit anyway. It isnt the most horrible tower in the world, but It is probably one of the ugliest that correct craft has come out with in the last 15 years. The wife says this is the last boat we buy for 10 years if we spend this kind of money. For that kind of ultimatum, I really think I need to get what I am really stoked about. This boat really fits the bill except the tower. Can I deal with it and be happy?
Old     (kystyle)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-26-2009, 6:04 AM Reply   
I just bought an '03 SAN with an '04 tower on it (used to have a '95 sport). I was reluctant at first because I was not a big fan of the '04 tower, but pulled the trigger anyway because I thought it was a really good deal. The '04 tower is growing on me. I actually think it looks really good with the bimini up.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (bmh2208)      Join Date: Apr 2004       08-26-2009, 7:01 AM Reply   
If you say you just started looking, then I would really do some searching until something perfect comes along especially if you will be keeping it for 10 years. Here's one I came across that could all be had for close to your range..

http://www.planetnautique.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=15297

If I were to do it again, I would be looking for a colored top deck with a python. Goodluck with your search
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       08-26-2009, 11:23 AM Reply   
I'm not a fan of the 04 tower either. Are you set on an 04 with a different tower or would year model make a difference? If I were you I'd find an 03. That seems to be one of the best years for them anyway!
Old     (justsan)      Join Date: May 2009       08-26-2009, 11:50 AM Reply   
I hear ya on the 04 tower...more than looks alone, the curve is right in the line of vision from the drivers 3 and 9 O'clock position -I was in the SAME position/delema with the tower as you are on an 04, I looked for 6 more months and found an 07 (love the new hull, just didn't think I could afford it)...anyways, good things come to those who wait, and it sounds like you have a working boat so the wait/looking period isn't too brutal.
Good luck!
Old     (nbigger)      Join Date: May 2008       08-26-2009, 12:45 PM Reply   
I would wait there will be another boat that comes along save the money and rock the sport until it is sold.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-26-2009, 5:53 PM Reply   
KYSTYLE,

Bought it from up here in Chicago right? I rode behind that boat a good chunk of time. It was one of my fav color combos. It was babied for sure

(Message edited by xstarrider on August 26, 2009)
Old     (trdon)      Join Date: Sep 2007       08-26-2009, 6:03 PM Reply   
Here is the reason for my dilema. I am working mad hours right now banking a decent amount. Not near what I need to drop 30K on a boat, but enough for a decent down payment with my boat as a down paymennt too. I will be laid off in the next couple of months, hence making a loan qualification near impossible. I may not have another job for a year, maybe 2. In that time, the wife wants to start a family, making buying a boat from that point on near impossible. This situation sounds a lot worse than it is, but I will have the money to pay off the boat at any time if I need to or sell the boat if need be, but I cant drop my just in case money on a boat to pay cash when I am not working. I fear my window of opportunity may be just a couple of months. I am 100% on the boat, but it is just the tower I hate. Ugh, I hate this.
Old     (quick)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-26-2009, 6:32 PM Reply   
She said last boat for 10 years......not last tower. Get the boat and get a new tower when the time is right.
Old     (kystyle)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-26-2009, 7:02 PM Reply   
Yeah Swatguy, that is the one. We are lovin' it. Hijack over.

TRDon, coming from a Sport Nautique myself, you will love the SAN no matter what tower it has on it. If you can land a killer deal, I would go for it, but there are plenty of Super Airs out there and the end of the season for most people is coming up which means prices are going to be dropping. You should be able to get exactly what you want.
Old     (miljack)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-26-2009, 8:11 PM Reply   
TR,
I can feel your pain! You may be surprised at some of the deals coming this fall. Personally I don't like the '04 SAN tower, my $0.02 on the tower is CC was trying to link the SAN to the new(at the time) 211 which had that tower. It's too low, the radius in the corners limits your selection of tower speakers.
Bottom line is if you can REALLY "steal" an '04, then save some $$$, buy it and wait to find a FCT2 ('00-'03, '05) tower. You WILL find a buyer for your '04 tower to help you offset the cost of the new tower/installation, and then you'll have the best of both worlds! Good purchase price, late model boat, AND the tower you wanted in the first place!
Old     (ctimrun)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-26-2009, 9:48 PM Reply   
I agree with Jack. Based on what you are saying I would jump on that good deal then change out the tower down the road. You will be able to sell the current tower to help fund the tower you want to put on it.
Old     (trdon)      Join Date: Sep 2007       08-27-2009, 6:32 PM Reply   
Thanks for the input guys :-) The boat has 2 pair of titan speakers and 2 sets of titan lights for it. As blasphemus as this sounds, I plan on gutting that stuff and selling it to help with the price of the boat. I also feel, I know there are some that dont agree, that I dont need the speakers because I hate the thought of making eveyone else listen to my music unwillingly, so the radius isnt really an issue for me. I like the boat and it seems good if I can get it for the price I offered which was 31k. I am just awaiting test drive next week to confirm it is what it is and make it mine.

I will keep you all posted.
Old     (ctimrun)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-30-2009, 11:46 AM Reply   
TRDon I did the same thing when I bought my boat. It had four Titan tower speakers and lights on the tower as well. I am not a huge music fan to begin with, and am really not into making everyone else on the lake listen to my music. The dealer was willing to take that stuff off and discount my boat which for me made the deal even sweeter for me. Can't wait to see pictures if it ends up working out for you!
Old     (trdon)      Join Date: Sep 2007       08-30-2009, 12:02 PM Reply   
It is a consignment boat so I prolly cant get a discount for them being gone. They are pitted pretty bad and the chrome ones, but I figure I can clean them up decent and sell them and the lights on here or someplace else. And if I cant do that, I will make some brackets and make the baddest a$$ garage stereo system out of them :-)

I will post pics as soon as I get it, that is, if I do.
Old     (trdon)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-02-2009, 7:31 PM Reply   
Update: The boat is gone. Not because I bought it, or anyone else. After pre-approving the financing, getting eveythig lined up, getting the wife on board, the owned pulls the rug out from under me by saying he cant sell it because it is wrapped up in his divorce. WTF? He didnt know that over the 10 days we talked, and had dialogue about pricing. Only when I ask for the titles so I can got the bank financing. I am pissed about that now. I should have that boat in my garage right now.
Old     (ctimrun)      Join Date: Aug 2009       09-02-2009, 8:18 PM Reply   
Oh man that sucks! I would be pissed off too! Buying a boat can be so frustrating, but don't give up, you will find the right boat for you. Have you looked at planet nautique FS section? There seems to be quite a few for sale on there, although I have not looked at specifics over the last two to three weeks.
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       09-03-2009, 7:42 PM Reply   
Wasn't meant to be... You're lucky, you can now find the boat (and tower) you really REALLY want.
And I agree, I wouldn't get an '04 either, just for that hideous tower. (though not neaaarly as bad as that new tower CC has).
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-03-2009, 8:15 PM Reply   
I know its too late to comment, but....

I love the 04 tower on a san. In fact, its my favorite tower. The 04 nautique brochures had a lime green/grey san (that green was special that year only) and is my favorite color combo/tower combo on ANY boat. I hate that they put that same tower on the pig 226's and made them look stupid.

anyone have a pic of that boat in teh brochure?
Old    shooter_08            09-04-2009, 8:03 AM Reply   
I had a similar issue when looking for my boat. In the long run, I found one that Im much happier with. I didnt like the 04 tower either, but it was never a deal breaker. Now go find a 03 or a 05
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-04-2009, 8:29 AM Reply   
Breaking news Don is testing a 03 SANTE this morning in Nebraska. Should hear back shortly... This one has the FCT :-)
Old     (ctimrun)      Join Date: Aug 2009       09-04-2009, 11:04 PM Reply   
Awesome, I hope it works out for him!
Old     (trdon)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-05-2009, 7:02 AM Reply   
It did!! Not 3 hours after the deal fell through on the 04, I went on onlyinboards,com and found what I would call my dream boat, the boat I described to my wife as perfect once upon a time. I called the dealer on it, talked extensively to the guy, got more pics, and the wife said we should drive down that night. We left the minneapolis area about 1, dropped off the dog at my dads, and got down there about 930 that night and met him at the dealership at 830am.

We dealt with a couple problems with the boat (very minor, amp was broke that they bought a new one, they are buying a new prop, took some money off for some misc stuff) but the boat ran out good and I was satisfied with the pricing and felt I got a great deal on it.

I will post pictures as soon as I have some available. In the meantime, it is still posted on their website http://www.valleymarine.net/product_detail.asp?id=93
Old     (ctimrun)      Join Date: Aug 2009       09-05-2009, 9:14 AM Reply   
Awesome Don, congrats!