Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 24, 2008

Old     (billy2603)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-08-2008, 2:09 PM Reply   
I have been riding an '01 Byerly Finless 139 for 6 years now (it has gone through three sets of bindings). I have always loved the feel of the board overall better than any other board I have ridden. But, I recently rode a friend's '07 Ronix Vault 144 and loved the way it popped and the solid hold when on edge. I'm thinking its about time to update...

I was curious if anyone has a recommendation for a board that keeps the semi-loose feel of the Byerly Finless, but also an updated shape for better pop and hold when on edge.

For reference:

I liked the '02 HL Premier and '01 LF Trip

I did not like the '05 Murray or the '07 Imperial.
Old     (dcdman67)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-08-2008, 3:25 PM Reply   
I ride the 08 Shane 140. I took off the fins and it is loose but still holds an edge and pops great. Coming from the Byerly shape, I would def. reccomend this board.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-08-2008, 4:44 PM Reply   
Watson?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-08-2008, 4:56 PM Reply   
try the shane 140 w/ the smaller fins, semi-loose and huge pop.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-09-2008, 12:05 AM Reply   
Throw the LF Lyman on the list too.
Looking at it and seeing it has 4 fins on each end you'd think it would track like a beast, but it is actually really loose, even with the fins bolted in (4 total)

If you can, try a Slingshot wakeboard too. Try the flex technology that is starting to make noise in world of wake. A whole new company is coming out soon that looks to be based on the tech
Old     (onthewatermo)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-09-2008, 6:27 AM Reply   
Test ride a LF Witness ('07s can be gotten for less than $200)
Old     (billy2603)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-09-2008, 7:22 AM Reply   
How soft are the landings on the Shane, Watson, and Lyman? I have semi-roughed up knees and also don't want a board that is going to stick too hard when I land in the flats.

I have heard the Watson bindings are great too - how do they compare to the open toe Byerlys (forward lean and ankle hold)?

I don't know anyone who has tried a flex board, but that could be interesting if I can find one to demo. Thanks for the ideas so far.
Old     (billy2603)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-09-2008, 7:36 AM Reply   
Also, are there any shape differences between the '07 and '08 Watson?
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-09-2008, 7:41 AM Reply   
No shape changes on the Watson since 2006.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-09-2008, 8:16 AM Reply   
Watson will have a new board for '09 thought! His bindings are stiff bindings but I don't know of any binding with the forward lead of his older bindings.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-09-2008, 8:46 AM Reply   
The LF Shane is renowned for soft landings as discussed on wake world forums. The LF Lyman is also very soft from what people have spoken about it. The Lyman is new this year and not as many people have had a chance to ride it as the Shane, but the board deffinately has gained a serrious public since its release.

The slingshot board i mentioned is extremely soft on landings too, due to the flex.

there are a few people that believe the Lyman is a hybrid of flex and traditionaly more ridged boards. The Lyman is both LF's thickest and thinnest board. Thick in the middle and thin towards the tip and tail. While the Lyman does have a bit more flex in it then most "traditional" boards, i am personally still not sure if i'd call it a "hybrid." but, nonetheless, what flex it does have probably adds to the softness that occurs from the under features displacing the water.

The Lyman is supposed to be a cross between the Shane and the Trip too bytheway

(F.y.i. I have personally ridden slingshots [I'm stuck on flex and lovin' it] and the lf lyman, but not the shane, but i do mostly believe what has been said about the shane. I have heard enough quality opinions about it)
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-10-2008, 10:00 AM Reply   
There just happens to be a slingshot response set-up on Boardersbestbuy.com now
http://www.boardersbestbuy.com/
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-10-2008, 10:21 AM Reply   
I have a lyman now, it lands as soft as my marius but is faster, for me at least.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-10-2008, 10:39 AM Reply   
get the hyperlite Marek! Such a sick board!