Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 06, 2005

Old    heavywake            08-01-2005, 10:00 AM Reply   
Just curious about how much wieght everyone is adding to their vlx's. I am having a hard time getting on plane with stock (1250 lbs) and about
1500 lbs extra (using the 60/40 rule) it has the 340 monsoon and a torquier prop. (acme 857 13.25 x 15.5) I got to be doing something wrong. Please advize. thanks
Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-01-2005, 10:09 AM Reply   
I have only been out twice, but the VLX's I was in had it more like 60/40 with the 60 in the front. I was told the VLX's love wieght in the nose
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       08-02-2005, 5:11 AM Reply   
Wow, that's a lot of weight to be adding to that boat. We rode all day yesterday with just the stock ballast and Wedge and it was great. The most I've added on top of that is about 600 lbs, but you definitely need to get some in front. I would think that 60% in front would be the minimum. Are you using the Wedge?
Old    heavywake            08-02-2005, 8:08 AM Reply   
David, The 1500 +/- lbs extra included people. Probably is too much weight, but aren't their guys adding as much weight to their boats? I like the wake to be rampy so I don't use the wedge too often.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       08-02-2005, 8:14 AM Reply   
Oh, never mind then! :-) You're right, that does sound like you've got a problem. Does the engine sound like it's running alright? Is there smoke when you're trying to get on plane? Is there a lot of water in the bilge?
Old     (lchamaschuk)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-02-2005, 8:14 AM Reply   
We have Fat Buddies in the back (250 each) and a Fat Boy (500) in the bow), so 1000 plus the MLS. No problems getting on plane.
Old    heavywake            08-02-2005, 8:27 AM Reply   
yes, no, and no!
Old     (toesideturtle)      Join Date: Oct 2002       08-02-2005, 4:08 PM Reply   
we fill all 4 stock tanks-1250lbs. 500lbs. sack in the bow and 750lbs. sack on the rear seat. also 600 lbs.lead in the lockers and use the wedge. the wake is sick!! awesome transition and the peak is half way up your thigh! Takes a bit to get out of the hole but not bad for the stock prop--13.5 x 16. I do have a new one coming this week. We run a lot of weight- there are only two of us riding. sounds like you may have a problem....
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-02-2005, 8:22 PM Reply   
Here is what I have done.

I almost always run the stock MLS (1250), and I have 400 in lead that I usually put in the walk through, on the floor. On a couple of occasions, I have put a 400 lb bag on each side of the motor. No problems getting on plane, and that is with 5-6 persons in the boat. The only time I have had trouble getting going was with all that weight, 8 persons, and the wedge down. As soon as I put the wedge up, it took a bit longer, but not much problem to get going. And the wake was sick! Like I said, I usually run stock 1250 lbs ballast, and 400 in lead. Usually most of it up front, but sometimes I leave a couple in the rear. That seems to be plenty of wake for just about everyone.