Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 27, 2008

Old     (chrishopf)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-14-2008, 6:24 AM Reply   
I had my ipod on shuffle yesterday and the song "Grin and Bear it" for LMNO came on.

I immediately remembered Struharik's HUGE 3's and 5's off double ups, and that land gap he did in Free4All, which leads me to my next question... What happened to Rob Struharik?

(Message edited by chrishopf on March 14, 2008)
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       03-14-2008, 7:38 AM Reply   
I don't know but that guy had the sweetest nose grabbed cromobe/cro5's I've seen, (still my favorite mobes!)

And how about his section from My House (or was it shaft/shafted?, I can never remember) with that "bump de bump" song from the Freestylers - Classic!
Old     (mike2001)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-14-2008, 7:42 AM Reply   
Rob was a guest judge at a small grassroots comp at Lake Milton in OH last summer. He rode a set half way through the comp and tore it up, made it look easy. Either he's still riding or shook the rust off real fast.

(Message edited by mike2001 on March 14, 2008)
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-14-2008, 7:43 AM Reply   
I'm really diggin for this one...but i thought he was selling Real Estate. I think this came up in a topic WAYYYY back.
Old     (okcwakebrdr)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-14-2008, 7:43 AM Reply   
His section in shafted...one of the best ever! Osmosis 5's in there. And your right rich....SICK nose grab crow mobe 5's. I loved watchin that guy ride! He has a sick shifty to late 3 in there to from the helicopter that looks great from that angle!
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       03-14-2008, 7:54 AM Reply   
Sean Branecki filmed him in 05 or 06 out here at the Delta and that footage is in the DS2 bonus section and also on Wakepics I believe.

Buffalow told me Rob got up, pulled out and threw a clean cromobe/cro 5 back to back before he even warmed up (and this was evidently after not having ridden for quite a while) DAMN! the bigtime Pros get tricks so dialed they will probably be able to do them 20 years from now without even thinking about it.

Anyhow I'd love to see him riding again either in person or on video if there's any new stuff out there.
Old     (protag)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-14-2008, 8:14 AM Reply   
Yep, and also really nice was his no-hand 360 in Free4All.
Old     (norcal_wakejunky)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-14-2008, 8:40 AM Reply   
I know there are a lot of CWB followers on wakeworld that probably share this opinion, I have to say Rob's board, the prodigy, that he helped design was sick! A really fun board in general to ride. His section in Free4all is my favorite in that film.

On a side note another guy you don't see much but who I like to watch ride is Greg Necrason (sp?). When he throws huge elephants way out into the flats, danggg!
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-14-2008, 10:08 AM Reply   
Funny how this question gets asked every year....

Rob was one bada$$ rider. I loved his sections in every video he made. Mad style, huge pop and soo smooth.

Word is he stepped away from wakeboarding to pursue other business oportunities. Likely a smart move. Riding a board can only go on soo long and then your options become limited. I'm sure he still rides a bit. Every now and then a video of him surfaces where he's just killin' it.

Anywhoo.... yeah, great rider. Great board design. That board still essentially lives on in the shape of the Faction. It was the evolution of that original mold. Now pretty far removed, but the same basics.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-14-2008, 11:04 AM Reply   
Family real estate business and started a family. Rob is the man. I loved watching him ride, it was like a combination of Darin Shapiro & Shaun Murray. Big, tech and pretty stylish.
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-14-2008, 11:28 AM Reply   
I agree, his section in Shafted was sick! I haven't watched it in years but I think the entire section took place at Shasta. His nose grab crow mobe 5 is super smooth.
Old     (wkbdboi)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-14-2008, 1:56 PM Reply   
I think that he is doing some stuff with "walk on water" the christian watersports team, who ride and tell their testimony. Its really cool what they are doing.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-14-2008, 4:01 PM Reply   
Agree with you guys, Rob has mad style & skills.

Most impressed when I met him in person. Never met before, we were both going for a water from the cooler at a pro tour VIP tent, introduces himself & his wife, and just starts talking to me like we have been life long best friends. Coolness.
Old     (steve_jones)      Join Date: Jun 2006       03-19-2008, 5:30 PM Reply   
Rich, here are a couple of snapshots of that nosegrab crowmobe 5. (Keep in mind, I don't take photos like you can.)

Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-19-2008, 6:25 PM Reply   
http://www.dpcfilms.com/VideoPlayer.asp?i=124
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       03-19-2008, 6:30 PM Reply   
Thats an awesome video Joe... Great song and a very nice lineup of tricks
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-19-2008, 7:21 PM Reply   
Great rider who put together some great video sections.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       03-19-2008, 7:53 PM Reply   
Thanks Steve, I will show those to Chris!

Joe - yep, that's the one Sean did I was talking about!
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       03-19-2008, 8:15 PM Reply   
Here's some circa 2003 Robby Stru!

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

I like this last one because it looks like he's jibbing off the helicopter!
Upload
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-19-2008, 8:28 PM Reply   
Rob is an awesome rider. The first 360 in free4all is huge! I had the prodigy platinum board, that thing was awesome. All of the boards are going to thinner profiles for more flex. That board was thinner than any board I have ever seen today. Sure, I broke it within two years, but still a great board.