Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 27, 2006

Old     (wakedestroyer)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-30-2006, 12:05 PM Reply   
The rack says not to tow your boat with the wakeboards in the rack yet every wakeboard boat I see going down the road is doing it. Do they just say that so they dont get sued? Has anyone ever had a problem with the wakeboard coming out?
Old     (unclesam)      Join Date: Nov 2005       08-30-2006, 12:06 PM Reply   
i have seen many posts and occurances of boards flying out of the racks... so I would advise against doing it.
Old     (dreambig)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-30-2006, 12:14 PM Reply   
I had my board on the floor of my boat with a 10 lb bag of clothes on it maganage to still fly out on the freeway. So i only put my board in the storage locker now.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       08-30-2006, 12:19 PM Reply   
Depends on your racks and how far you are traveling to the lake. If you are just going down the street and are not going to be going 60mph then I think you would be fine, you just got to use common sense. I have never had a board fly out of my racks on the lake doin 20 to 30 mph, so I dont worry about putting them in the racks and driving down the street to launch, but I wouldent get on the freeway and travel a long distance with them in the racks.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-30-2006, 12:39 PM Reply   
It's your call. The problem is if/when it does happen you are responsible for the damage. It could be more damage than a dinged up board, it could cause an accident with a car behind you.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       08-30-2006, 12:42 PM Reply   
I believe they are not meant to be used at speeds above 40 mph.
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       08-30-2006, 12:52 PM Reply   
Racks are made to be on boats that go 40 if you are going faster than that I would take them out.
Old     (kenteck)      Join Date: Jan 2005       08-30-2006, 1:04 PM Reply   
some info
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/340065.html
Old     (bennygoodx)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-30-2006, 1:04 PM Reply   
Keep the boards in a storage locker or inside vehicle. They will fly a long way even into oncoming traffic.
Old     (wakeboardnut)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-30-2006, 1:22 PM Reply   
anything over 40mph, is alot of wind blowing on that board, defintly enough to break the rack or snap the rope. defintly would advise against it on hwy driving..
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-30-2006, 1:36 PM Reply   
Several issues with leaving the boards on the rack going down the road.

1) theft. You could stop for a bite to eat, turn you back for a minute and your board could be gone.

2) Flying out: I had a board that didn't have the bungee fastened bounce out at the launch ramp. Dropping a board ~ 8 feet onto pavement really messes them up. If you even saw it fly off the rack going down the freeway there might not be anything left of it.

3) Bugs.......
Old    live2wakeboard            08-30-2006, 1:40 PM Reply   
DONT DO IT!!! I lost a board like that cuz my dad said they would be fine and i told him they wouldn't but he wouldn't listen!!!
Old     (wakedestroyer)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-30-2006, 1:43 PM Reply   
Thanks. I had one strapped down in my boat and some how it got loose and as I looked in the rear view mirror I saw it flying through the air. Luckily there was no one behind me. My board was missing a corner and the entire bottom was pretty bad. I used marine tex to fix it and it rides good as new. I dont think I will drive with them in the rack.
Old     (reinle)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-30-2006, 4:19 PM Reply   
I was following our boat and crew down the road on the way to the lake in my brothers car and a board flew out. It was really scary. The wind grabed the board and it looked like a knuckleball flying back and forth through the air. I had to slam on my brakes and pull left to miss it. Im sure it would of definately did some major damage to the car and could of easily caused a serious wreck for me.
Old     (fifitrixabelle)      Join Date: May 2004       08-30-2006, 5:18 PM Reply   
I would think greater gas mileage as well as being safest choice
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-30-2006, 5:36 PM Reply   
My board has come out of the rack from simply hitting rollers of a double up, and somehow came flying into the boat. Luckily it didn't hurt anyone, and only minor damage to the upholstery. The gel dodged a bullet

Don't be a lazy @ss... throw your boards in the truck and avoid the risk.
Old     (ktmwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-30-2006, 11:31 PM Reply   
yeah, just don't do it :-)
Old     (gymboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-31-2006, 9:19 AM Reply   
I see people towing all the time with boards in their racks. To me its stupid and igonrant or people trying to show off (espically where I live).
Just this last weekend I saw some guy at the dock getting ready to go home with the boardin the board rack. I approached him about it and he bascially told me to mind my own business. At first I was pissed them I just told him any true boarder would know to take them out.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-31-2006, 8:37 PM Reply   
jus in case you didnt see my wakeboard boat, let me put my boards in the rack so u know im a wakeboarder..... one word..... POSERS
Old     (firemedic)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-05-2006, 11:37 PM Reply   
I had a board fly out of my rack this weekend while going 35 on the water. Of course it wasn't strapped in and it almost hit my brother in-law, I don't like him much though, so no harm done except for the scratch in my boat and a small tear in the upholstery. People who drive with their boards in the rack are just STUPID.

(Message edited by firemedic on September 05, 2006)
Old     (focker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-06-2006, 8:36 AM Reply   
Yeah - I don't think it's too bad leaving them in the rack if you're not going over 35 or so with only a couple of miles down the road to go. Anytime you have to get on the interstate though - we always take em down.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       09-06-2006, 8:51 AM Reply   
It's just gay.......
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-06-2006, 9:23 AM Reply   
I think the older 2002 style Master Craft racks that calmp the boards at the edges and ratchet down might be the ONLY racks that IMO could hold a board going down the freeway but I guess I still wouldnt do it for fear of them flying out and they were not made to hold them in the racks while driving down the road. IMO board racks dont to a great job of holding your boards in the racks they sort of just rest in the rack. I think it would be a great Idea if they made locking racks that safley held boards in the racks so you didnt need to take them out.
I think most of the dammage that my boards have had is from the ride in the back of the truck or the trip from the rack to where ever they get stored. Its easy to ding or scratch them taking them in and out of where ever. And having them ride in the boat is a crap shoot. Cutting up your interior with the fins or flying out is a risk. Not much dammage happens in the rack or on the water So IMO the rack is the best place for them. IMO I think people that transport the boards in the racks either have a short distance to go at lower speeds like they live around the corner from the launch or just dont know the dangers of driving on the freeway with board s in the racks. Where or who decided that they were posing?
Old     (craigystyle_05)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-06-2006, 10:01 AM Reply   
it tore the rubber off my flight clips on my nautique when i told my dad not to do it but he did it anyway... shows he doesnt know everything lol
Old    mendo247            09-06-2006, 10:15 AM Reply   
i live 2 minutes from the boat ramp and always throw the boards in the rack the night before an early morning set and drive to the lake with them in the rack.. i keep the speed under 35 and have never had any issues.. im not a poser i swear! i just like the fact of not having to spend ten minutes setting the boat up in the ramp parking lot..
Old     (craigystyle_05)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-06-2006, 10:18 AM Reply   
we just do it when were in the boat and the driver is puttin the tahoe up and were waitin on him
Old     (lzyboy)      Join Date: Jun 2001       09-06-2006, 10:24 AM Reply   
Interstate / Freewqay = NO
Campsite to Launch = YES

I should have busted out my DIGI on the freeway, tons of em on I5 this weekend.

Lzy
Old     (craigystyle_05)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-06-2006, 10:28 AM Reply   
haha im from the boondocks... we have no freeways or interstates.... we have a couple of four lanes but thats it
Old     (tracktor)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-06-2006, 11:14 AM Reply   
Here in SW Washington every single person who has a tower leaves their boards in the racks when driving to the lake. It's funny though, I don't see too many people actually wakeboarding at the lake? Very strange. It would be more accurate for most to have their tubes up there............
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-06-2006, 11:31 AM Reply   
Giles - HAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

I thought I saw it all but last w/e put it over the top.

Tahoe pulling an older MC. WBs in each of the fingers, surfboard bungeed to top of tower, Snowboard/snowski rack on one side with 2 bootless wakeboards, and a tube tied to the top luggage rack next to them.

Some many things wrong on so many levels.
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-06-2006, 11:33 AM Reply   
Oh forgot........ He was on the freeway doing about 65mph.