Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 25, 2007

Old    Ben Kerran            04-28-2007, 7:04 PM Reply   
I am looking for a semi-basic gps unit that I can set speedo with and also map points for easy exploring/return on unfamiliar waterways. Anyone with brand/model recommendations? Any options that are helpful that I should look for? Thanks in advance
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-28-2007, 7:05 PM Reply   
I've got the garmin etrex. Good durable/waterproof unit, and pretty inexpensive.
Old     (mo_scrilla)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-28-2007, 7:19 PM Reply   
I just got my wife the Garmin StreetPilot c340. She loves it. I got it by going to PriceScan.com. Best Buy wanted $499 I got it for
$307 shipped.
Old     (the_right_kind)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-29-2007, 8:01 AM Reply   
I found some good prices at this place

http://planetgps.net/
Old     (fuller313)      Join Date: Oct 2006       04-29-2007, 11:04 AM Reply   
If you buy one at Sams Club or Costco you can always return it if it doesn't suit your needs. Or if it breaks. I bought a digital camera and some how the lcd screen broke, well they took it back no questions and the price on the camera had dropped $150.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-29-2007, 11:26 AM Reply   
you can go on ebay look at garmin gps III, III-plus, or the V, it has a "big numbers" feature that you can set to mph, and can get them unused and barely used on ebay for $50 to 100, look for extra mounts, 12volt plug, non skid friction mount(like a beanbag full of shot) which can go boat to boat easily...
Old     (twitch)      Join Date: Dec 2004       04-29-2007, 12:04 PM Reply   
this is the one that we have... waterproof, large color screen, EASY to use... and deffinatly a great thing to have in the boat... our lake has a few areas that are deffinate no goes, and its nice to set a warning, if we venture too close it will beep and let us know

http://www.lowrance.com/Products/Outdoors/ifinderhuntc.asp
Old     (kriedes24)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-29-2007, 12:37 PM Reply   
We have an etrex from Garmin. Cheap and works great.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       04-30-2007, 6:18 AM Reply   
anyone have any experience witht he garmin etrex legend? I'm looking for something similar...I just need mapping, a way to plot a course and mark "danger" areas/spot.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-01-2007, 1:56 AM Reply   
I was looking at the legend and etrex when I finally decided on the garmin GPSMAP76 a couple years ago. Im so glad I went with the slightly larger screen. You can get one now for about 200 but when it first came out it was about 350. It has a built in map and you can download additional maps. If you have the money and think you may use it in the car also look at the GPSMAP 76CX as it has a better antennae and xd card for storing more maps, the map76 is only 8 meg but has been plenty so far, just would like the better antennae when in the woods with thick cover overhead.
Old     (ed_g)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-01-2007, 4:06 AM Reply   
I picked up a Garmin Etrex for about $50 at Walmart.

This thing is awesome. I use it to calibrate the PP speedo and it always goes backpacking with me.

No built in maps, but perfect to use with a topo map and UTM grids.

It's accurate to about 20 - 50 feet and will store 500 waypoints.
Old    Ben Kerran            05-01-2007, 6:58 AM Reply   
Thanks all for the feedback. I have a nav unit in my truck, so this will be primarily boat trips. I checked out the Garmin Etrex vista last night and it seems like it will do the what I need it to. Going to work on finding pricing now.
Old     (uncc_grad)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-01-2007, 7:28 AM Reply   
I've used a Garmin Etrex Legend and Legend C. the Legend C is the way to go for a reasonably priced unit. It's small, good on batteries and the color screen makes it much easier to read in sunlight and nighttime.

The Legend C took us from NC to ND in 24 hours with no missed turns. We use it all the time for marking hunting spots and navigating on the water.

Stick with Garmin, they are much more user friendly.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       05-01-2007, 7:33 AM Reply   
just ordered this one...has the cigarette plug adapter included and is backlit. for nite crusies. the one I orded is not color.

http://www.tigergps.com/loifh2oplhag.html
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-01-2007, 8:40 PM Reply   
Adam that thing only runs about 2 hours on batteries??
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-01-2007, 8:46 PM Reply   
Adam - why didn't you get the color one? It's the same price as the black/white version!!!!
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       05-02-2007, 5:45 AM Reply   
bob, it has a cigarette lighter adapter....the only time I'll be using it is on the boat or possibly in the car. David, the color is $260...you can buy the black/white verison on ebay for around $150. On top of that I find color screen harder to read at nite..they are really bright IMO. My dad has a garmin radar on his crusier and even with the screen dimmer on it's still way too bright.
Old     (evil0ne)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-02-2007, 7:46 AM Reply   
The non "plus" color is the same price as the B&W "Plus." I didn't look to see what the plus gets you though.