Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 06, 2009

Old     (jwmustangin)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-16-2009, 7:17 PM Reply   
Looking to get a wetsuit...

Never worn one being pulled behind a boat. Ive worn em scuba diving (certified diver here). Im kind of a big boy....215lbs 6'1" 28 years old. Any recommendations? What is everyone else using? Please give the specs....(long or shorty?, thickness, brand, etc., etc)

Thanks
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-16-2009, 7:27 PM Reply   
Surf suits are getting incredibly flexible now, and very warm. Any of the big names like Oneil, Rip Curl, Billabong, Excel etc will do the trick. A sealed 4/3 steamer (full length) will keep you warm in most situations. Even a 3/2 might do if the water isn't really cold.

I'm a certified diver too, a surf suit won't restrict your movement as much as a dive suit, but it won't keep you as warm either. I've got a Billabong Foil 4/3 and I probably wouldn't want to use it for diving but for surfing and wakeboarding in the dead of winter no problem at all with the cold. Water doesn't drop below about 55ºF (12 - 13ºC) here though.

(Message edited by jtnz on April 16, 2009)
Old     (perfski)      Join Date: Sep 2004       04-16-2009, 7:45 PM Reply   
What water temp will you be using it.....and are you looking for one suit to do everything? I'll try to give some ideas / options.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-16-2009, 7:46 PM Reply   
Xcel or Oneil 3/2. I'd go full, it'll lengthen the season
Old     (jwmustangin)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-16-2009, 7:49 PM Reply   
Im in central va. I think water temp around here right now is probably around the low 50s to mid 50s. Im not looking to go wakeboarding in january. Basically looking for a suit to be able to ride in the early and late season times here in virginia.

I guess one suit to do it all would be good. The ideal situation Im thinking would be to have a shorty as well. This way you would cover the transition periods from early to middle and from middle to late season times.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-16-2009, 8:02 PM Reply   
Get a full and then a top
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-16-2009, 8:31 PM Reply   
A-Dub, you cant just say get an oneill or xcel. even the top brands have crappy suits in the line.

Jeff, really know what kind of seams a suit has. it makes a huge difference. a 3/2 Oneill Psycho is WAY better then a 4/3 Oneill Hammer in terms of warmth because the seams. also the type of neoprene makes a huge difference because a 4/3 oneill psycho feels like you are naked compared to a 3/2 oneill hammer because of the different flex.
Old     (jealous_soul)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-16-2009, 8:34 PM Reply   
Fullsuit. Rip Curl EBomb or F Bomb.
Old     (jayson_49)      Join Date: May 2007       04-16-2009, 9:58 PM Reply   
I wore my full 3/2 oneill hammer today (i know it's a "cheapo") but it did its job in the 58 degree sac river.....
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-17-2009, 5:51 AM Reply   
im the same weight height and age, i have an Oneil Hammer wetsuit 3/2 full. XL i believe. Fits well. cheap too.
Old    dperizzolo            04-17-2009, 7:21 AM Reply   
Chalk one up for Xcel. I have an Infiniti 2mm long sleeve shorty and I could wear it right now in Alberta, and the lakes just thawed out.
Old     (wakeborder5)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-17-2009, 8:30 AM Reply   
I'm goin to wakenation in Ohio in early May and figure the water's going to still be chilly and the air won't be too warm yet either. I was thinking of getting a top, how does this one look :http://www.amazon.com/Mens-JetPilot-FLIGHT-JACKET-Neoprene/dp/B001HJVVG0 . Is it one of the better tops? are there any warmer?
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-17-2009, 8:36 AM Reply   
Ray, buy one when you get there. The guys at Cincy MC, Bill and Jason, are good dudes and can get you in the right stuff. Support the local shops.
Old     (ferral)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-17-2009, 5:31 PM Reply   
I use a 3/2 Quicksilver Syncro full suit in water down to about 50. By the time it gets to 58-60 I switch to a 2mm heater top.