Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 21, 2003

Old    theaslip            05-11-2003, 6:38 PM Reply   
I'm hoping you guys can help me. I have a new cottage - and the water depth at the dock is about 26" - 28". I am going to be purchasing a new boat, and believe it or not the draft of the boat will determine which I buy. The SAN's and MC's are all in the 22"-24" range, and the Malibu's are around 16" - 17" (much less!) I sold a 2000 Sportster LX last year that I bought new and used for 3 years, it was a great boat, so I don't mind getting another 'bu. When the manufacurers print the drafts, is measurement with the boat still and empty, or underway???

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-11-2003, 6:40 PM Reply   
I know this is an obvious suggestion.. Why not buy a lift and walk the boat in?

B-
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-11-2003, 10:00 PM Reply   
heres a good one, What happens when the water gets low, lower then it already is?
Old     (elmog)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-12-2003, 10:38 AM Reply   
I beleive the draft specs are when the boat is not moving. I suspect the measurement includes fluids (gas/oil) but definately nothing else.

Why not get someone nearby with a backhoe or excavator to dredge it out a bit for you. Then draft is not an issue and no trips to the prop doctor?
Old     (jro)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-12-2003, 2:32 PM Reply   
My 97 Sunsetter draft is 13" according to the manual. Not sure if that is with or without fluids.
Old     (partyb)      Join Date: Dec 2001       05-12-2003, 2:42 PM Reply   
it sounds like all the boats your are looking at will fit at your dock. The drafts are measured when the boat is sitting there. I imagine they just measure from the water line to the lowest point of boat (bottom of rudder or prop). And it is easy to dig out, even if you just use the propwash.
Old     (jeffr)      Join Date: May 2002       05-12-2003, 2:48 PM Reply   
Now what happens to those measurements when you add 2000 lbs plus of ballast plus people and gear…like everyone else on WW does?
Old    sickboy            05-12-2003, 4:06 PM Reply   
I'm not sure where you're located, but depending on water current, you may end up getting even more silt deposited at your dock. Dredging it every couple of years will probably become a necessity if this is the case. I've heard that in some locations, a environmental impact study is required before you can dredge. Have you thought about just extending your dock to deeper water? If possible, that might be your easiest solution.

mb