Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 02, 2007

Old     (snowman89)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-13-2007, 7:59 PM Reply   
I just recently started wakeboarding, I got to go once last summer and I went for the first time this summer and will be going alot this summer because my girlfriend lives on a private lake. My question is what is about the normal rate of getting good, It was my second time and I got about twenty minutes of riding in and I still can't clear the wake yet, I always get thrown in the air weird or slide out on the landing, How long was it before alot of you guys were clearing the wake or just getting to feel really comfortable on the board,
Thanks
Old     (fuller313)      Join Date: Oct 2006       05-13-2007, 8:13 PM Reply   
Hey Darren- Its different for each person. I have taken out a guy who on his first ride was clearing the wake. That was impressive. Other people I've taken sometimes don't even get up. I've been riding since 95. According to how long I've been riding I should already be pro and considering retirement.

To Awnser your question how long it takes- It depends on how often you are going. The more you go the faster you will progress. Also listen to people's input and really try to do what they are saying. If you do these things you'll be clearing the wake in no time.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-13-2007, 11:28 PM Reply   
i knew a guy who landed a back roll on his second day out... CRAZY!!!

I cleared the wake on my 5th day out... amazingly enough i cleared it toeside first before heelside

Most likely you will clear it heelside first. BUT PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, for your benefit learn to clear the wake toeside too. Don't let your toeside slack.

Its just as fun (if not better) to watch a guy who can jump both sides of the wake with little tricks as to watch someone who can do spins and flips from heelside but somehow cant even clear the wake toeside (or at least not without crashing)
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-14-2007, 6:36 AM Reply   
I did a backroll before I ever cleared the wake, first week out or so.
Old     (snowman89)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-14-2007, 1:37 PM Reply   
Alright thanks im feeling pretty good now, i only got about ten min of riding total the first two times out and this last time went pretty good so I think I can be clearing it within two or three more times, And Jeremy Im feeling just as, if not more comfortable toeside, than heelside and Im trying to learn them at about the same time so I don't become a heelside hero or whatever you call them
Old     (b_rad_b)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-15-2007, 7:59 AM Reply   
You should also work on riding switch. I waited way too long before I got serious about it and I'm glad I finally forced myself to ride several minutes switch each set; it's so important.