Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 12, 2006

Old     (river_hill)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-19-2006, 4:02 AM Reply   
I am looking into purchasing my first board. Now I am sure I am the old guy, compared to alot of you guys on here as I am 35. I weigh 175 and I am 5'11.

I want a good quality board, but I also want one that will help me learn. My guess is the more advanced boards are faster and handle better.

What should I look for in a beginner board that will help me learn the basics? Once I get better I can retire that board for the guest I will be bringing on the boat and get myself a better board.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-19-2006, 5:33 AM Reply   
You want a board without agressive rails and edges so that you don't faceplant every time you are in the wrong position. Lots of good options. In the Jobe line, the 2020 is a good choice for your size.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-19-2006, 8:30 AM Reply   
IMO, there are two ways to go about this. One, go demo boards at a shop and find one that suits you. Two, pick one from the suggestions you get here. Number #1 is the best.

I've been riding the Motive for almost 4 years now and am very happy with the board. It's probably one of the longest in production designs on the market, and can bought fairly cheap. It's even a woman's board with a graphic and the Devine name. I bust them up on sliders and have managed to get them off ebay cheap.

The one thing I've noticed about the Motive here on the forum is that nobody says they can't ride it. It seems to be a neutral generic design with no downside. I.E. it can be a beginner, intermediate, or advanced board. Anyone can ride it. When you are ready to throw inverts or spins, this board won't hold you back.

I'd recommend a 140 for your size and weight.
Old     (bradenb12)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-19-2006, 8:36 AM Reply   
John is right about the motive. That's a board you can progress with. Go check them out on the wakeworld board guide.
Old     (bradenb12)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-19-2006, 8:37 AM Reply   
Another board you might look at is the Hyperlite Temet.
Old     (river_hill)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-19-2006, 11:49 AM Reply   
The Motive was at the top of my list. Now how about a decent binding. 10.5 Foot Size
Old    noah_d            06-19-2006, 12:22 PM Reply   
demo would be the best bet, what ever feels comfortable that is what i would go with. I started off with a beginner board and if I had it to do over again, I would just go advance at first. I think I went 3 boards with in a summer when i began....looking back kind of seems like a waste of money....so when i taught my girlfriend, I made learn from a advance board and I think it helped her learn quicker than I did....but then again she may be just the better athlete
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-19-2006, 12:40 PM Reply   
The best characteristics of a beginner board are:

forgiving rails (edges)
somewhat loose feel
relatively featureless bottom
fins shorter than the rocker

This makes the board easy to slide slide, recover from botched landings, and learn to ride switch.

There are several boards I would not put a beginner on because they will not tolerate a sketchy landing well, are too fast into the wake, or have abrupt pop off the wake. The goal of a beginner board is to let them learn good habits and enjoy riding, not face plants.

You should have a decent beginner board until you master the wake 180 and half cab with confidence. Then look for a board that suits the way you have developed your riding style. The best board complements your riding flaws so you can work on your strengths. For me, I need a fast board with loads of pop (235 lbs and 42 years old).