Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 28, 2004

Old    proboarder77            07-14-2004, 11:21 AM Reply   
I am 14 years old and I am looking at trying to get sponsored can anyone tell me how I can do this without making a fool of myself
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       07-14-2004, 11:36 AM Reply   
Here is an article ironically entitled, A Foolproof Guide to Getting Sponsored: http://www.wakeworld.com/Articles/2001/Sponsorship.asp
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-14-2004, 11:39 AM Reply   
You already have made yourself look like a Fool! Do you have a video of you riding?

haha
Old    sbvfive            07-14-2004, 12:23 PM Reply   
For starters, don't post on the messege board that you want sponsors....it comes across wrong. The first thing that you need to do....rip it up on the water. If you ride hard, have a good attitude, and talk with companies and shops about what you can do for them rather then if they will give you free gear, then you are golden. I have been getting a new board and bindings, and some other stuff every year for the past 3 for free or at a huge discount from a local shop. You would be suprised how well shops and companies respond if you help them out as much as you can WITHOUT ASKING FOR ANYTHING IN RETURN!!!!When they see how much you are doing for them most shop owners or companies will return the favor. And lastly, don't get caught up in getting sponsored, if you take it too seriously you miss the point of riding anyway. Good luck!!
Old     (ridn9high)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-14-2004, 12:29 PM Reply   
Let them come to you. Enter local tournaments and make a name for yourself.
Old     (ttuclint)      Join Date: Sep 2003       07-14-2004, 12:48 PM Reply   
ill sponsor you for 1 dollar to never post again.
Old     (justridin)      Join Date: Oct 2002       07-14-2004, 1:55 PM Reply   
If there were more people like Scott around the sport it would be more successful top to bottom. Great attitude and obviously it is bringing him some results.

Before anyone else starts ripping on Evan, cut him a little slack. There have been some people much older than him post more ridiculous questions.

Send me an email directly Evan. I am not going to get you sponsored but I am going to hook you up with a few things that might help you do what Scott is.
Old     (oldguy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-14-2004, 2:02 PM Reply   
John

Nicely Put!!
Old     (john_d)      Join Date: Apr 2003       07-14-2004, 2:38 PM Reply   
How come every kid named Evan thinks they need to be a Pro Wakeboarder?

(Message edited by john_d on July 14, 2004)
Old    sbvfive            07-15-2004, 6:47 AM Reply   
John K, thanks for the praise....Nice job offering to help out Evan. The thing that is most important to realize in my opinion is that actual riding ability is not the most important thing if you can also offer marketablity, advertisment, and support for whatever shop and brand, etc. that is sponsoring you.
Old    andzei            07-15-2004, 12:49 PM Reply   
Evan, which tricks You can pull?
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-15-2004, 1:12 PM Reply   
Best way is to get seen by manufacturer representatives. Enter a contest, kick some butt, then introduce yourself to the rep.

If you are not on the podium, forget about it. Wait till another tournament and try again.

Alot a sponsors may give you free stuff like shirts and sunglasses and of course stickers.
Some sponsors, like board and binding makers, may just give you really sweet deals on their stuff.

I know a guy that rides for Buywake.com and he only gets free small things like tshirts and stickers, but they do let him buy merchandise like boards and bindings for something like 75% off.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-15-2004, 2:02 PM Reply   
You have to realize that being sponsored is entering the business side of the sport where making $ is the goal. You have to be able to bring $ to the company. I got hooked up with a great company because I know the sport, can talk/sell wakeboards/wakeboarding, have a connection to a large potential market and am generally a nice dude. They never even saw me ride, I just asked the man in charge how I could help. You must realize that they don't sponsor you so you can tell your friends, they do it so you can bring them more customers. Only the very top riders get sponsored for riding ability, the rest of us minions must rely on our marketing/selling/speaking skills and realize that you have gotta put in your dues. Even then it's not like the holy grail or anything, I'm writing this from work(don't tell my boss).