Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 06, 2007

Old     (suprasteve)      Join Date: Nov 2004       07-11-2007, 8:43 AM Reply   
Has anyone ever had to change out the rudder on their boat before? If so, how hard is it?

Also, does anyone know who the manufacturer is that makes the rudders for supra??
Old     (thor)      Join Date: Oct 2001       07-11-2007, 8:52 AM Reply   
I changed my rudder out last summer, and it wasn't too difficult. I had no idea what I was doing going into the project, but it was pretty easy to figure out what needed to be done. The hardest part was taking out the gas tank so that I could get at the rudder assembly. Good Luck.
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-11-2007, 10:02 AM Reply   
I just recently changed the rudder out on my Sanger v210. It's actually pretty easy, the scariest part of the whole job was jacking the boat off the trailer. I was using bricks under some wood to get some extra lift and the bricks cracked in half! I thought I had gone through the boat.

It's pretty much a one person job until you have to tighten up the plate.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       07-11-2007, 10:07 AM Reply   
Do you have to jack the boat up because it runs into the trailer? If so would it also run into the ground at that level? The reason I ask, is because it seems easier to pull the boat back a couple feet off the trailer, do the work then pull the boat back forward. All this can be done with a winch, come along, or very carefully with a 4x4 truck in low range (The lower the better). You could even hose the bunks down before hand, or if close to a ramp use the water to move it forwards and backwards.

Edit: Of course the bow strap set for a given length will keep the boat from coming off too far.

(Message edited by peter_c on July 11, 2007)
Old     (lake_side)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-11-2007, 12:20 PM Reply   
On my trailor it unbolts. That is all I had to do the rudder is real easy to replace.
Old     (suprasteve)      Join Date: Nov 2004       07-11-2007, 1:35 PM Reply   
Does anyone know who the manufacturer of the rudders are for Supra's??
Old     (suprasteve)      Join Date: Nov 2004       07-12-2007, 5:59 AM Reply   
what about anywhere online that sells inboard rudders for supra boats??
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       07-12-2007, 7:37 AM Reply   
www.skidim.com most likely has the parts you need.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-13-2007, 11:58 AM Reply   
I replaced the rudder on a ski boat I had a while back. The only thing that made it difficult at all was getting to the rudder on the inside. The boat I did it on was a direct drive and I had to pull the gas tank to get access. On my current V-Drive it would be possible to get to everything but it sure won't be easy......
Old     (laraujo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-13-2007, 1:09 PM Reply   
how did you know it was the rudder and not the steering cable?
Old     (suprasteve)      Join Date: Nov 2004       07-15-2007, 6:52 AM Reply   
the dealer looked at it and said that the rudder housing box was slightly bent and the rudder was rubbing thus causing the stiff steering.

They replaced the steering cable probably a 1/1.5 years ago.