Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 05, 2008

Old     (bamacpa)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-01-2008, 6:40 AM Reply   
Can anyone tell me what tricks the intermediate riders runs consisted of at the US Championships? My son wants to compete in intermediate this year and wants to know if he will be competitive in this class.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-01-2008, 6:50 AM Reply   
Allen, go to intleague.com under trick list allowed for that division. At the US Championships the top riders will have all the tricks allowed for Intermediate and them some.
Old     (eas)      Join Date: Nov 2001       05-01-2008, 6:50 AM Reply   
I may be wrong, but I think you have to win a State championship before you get invited to Nationals.

Either way, check the INT website for allowable intermediate trick lists and if he can fill two passes with some of the more difficult tricks on that list, then go for it.
Old     (eas)      Join Date: Nov 2001       05-01-2008, 6:51 AM Reply   
Randy beat me to it!
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-01-2008, 7:01 AM Reply   
Hijack, sorry. Eric, have you talked to Ryan? how's he doing.
Old     (eas)      Join Date: Nov 2001       05-01-2008, 9:59 AM Reply   
I have not talked to Ryan in a month or so...we rode at one of the local spots and then I thought he was going to Trevor/Reed's house to get ready for last weekend, but I didn't see his name in any of the heats or anything...???...

I've been meaning to e-mail Doug, so this will be a good excuse.

How are you guys doing? I saw where Alex bumped up to Men's....big step....but it's a long summer and we know he can rip, so he's got better weekends ahead! See you guys in Ft. Worth I hope.....
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-01-2008, 10:17 AM Reply   
Eric, Ryan dislocated his hip just before WG,at the Hansen's thats why you didn't see him on any heat sheets. Alex had to ride Pro men's at wake games but will ride the tour in Jr. mens. Well have a beverage in Fort Worth for sure.
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       05-01-2008, 10:29 AM Reply   
Allen- The intermediate class in INT now allows 2 inverts and 2 spins. (360s) The winning run will probably include all of those and possibly some BS 180s. For more info see www.intleagues.com
Don't hold your son back. Encourage him to ride in the highest division he can. He'll get better as the season progresses. Having him compete in a division where he can do all of the tricks will put a ceiling on his riding, if he's trying not to get bumped to a higher division. GO FOR IT!
Old     (eas)      Join Date: Nov 2001       05-01-2008, 10:41 AM Reply   
sorry to continue hijack....

Randy: I had not heard that yet...first his shoulder (wrestling), now his hip....ouch! I just e-mailed Doug so we'll see how he's doing these days. Good Luck to Alex....and tell that "Canyon Lake Lady" (Robyn, of course) that we miss her down in redneck-wife-beater-country!

back to INT......
Old     (bamacpa)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-01-2008, 10:49 AM Reply   
Yeah, I've looked over all the tricks. It would seem the best at Nationals would have an invert, 360 and BS 180, along with the highest point grabs. Two 360s and 2 inverts total, which could very well be the same invert and 360 on each pass. I was just wandering if someone could actually give someone's actual run. I know you have to win state to get to Nationals and surely he will progress as the season goes. I would just like to know how much progression is needed. Sort of a goals thing.
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-01-2008, 11:34 AM Reply   
I judged that division at nationals, and I only remember maybe one or two people with a backside 180. Tantrums and Backrolls galore though, and a 360 was neccissary, but at the state level, you really only need one invert to be competitive.
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-01-2008, 5:49 PM Reply   
I second What Peter Said. He told me to do the same thing and it is so much more fun to ride in a higher division. If you ride just at your level you hold back a little.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-01-2008, 6:45 PM Reply   
Ok I have to chime in, Peter and I have have this "discussion" many times over a beer. Let me put another spin on it. I think a lot of it depends on the kid & his physic. My son was bumped at his first tournament from novice to Jr. intermediate when he was 9 because he managed to pull a w2w jump out of his A$$. He went the rest of the year getting smoked at every contest he entered, he was so deprested that he wanted to quit riding, not just contest but riding period. I'm sure that if he would have had a year in novice and had some positive finishes he would have been much happier and enjoyed his summer a lot more. He didn't push himself when he was losing, he started pushing himself when he started winning. I'm a firm believer in success breeds success. Having been involved and supported INT for over 8 years I think you should ride to your ability level (not sandbag) and not ride up a class that you will struggle in, I see lots of parents try to move the kids up and they end up finishing 10th, 11th, 12th at nationals instead of a chance for a podium and a big smile on their faces. My 2 cents.
Old     (bamacpa)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-01-2008, 7:44 PM Reply   
Randy, I agree with you 100%. Last year my son was really in between beginner and intermediate at the grass roots events (not INT). He was told by everyone to go to intermediate and he wanted to also. But he got smoked, even with his best runs. It was depressing to him, and I had to convince him to hang in their and pay his dues. He is better for it now, but it was a tough summer.

Caleb, I was thinking more in line with what you're saying. Someone with two solid inverts, a couple of 360s and BS 180s are probably riding advanced.}
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-01-2008, 8:19 PM Reply   
Yeah, at the state level, I saw people with less than that in advanced.

If he has an Invert, and either a backside 180 or a frontside 360, he should be competitive at least.

Plus, at worst that will put him at middle of the pack, giving him motivation to move up.
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-01-2008, 9:57 PM Reply   
Randy, was that alex that wanted to quit?

All I know is I went to INT Nationals in Mens Novice, Threw in a pretty poor run, fell on a regular H/S 180 in the first pass [my clutch trick] the after the turn around caught a front edge, Then I missed my second run! I still had a great time and look forward to next year, but I have no idea what someone else would do. Another thing is that when people used to ask me what division I rode I'd be embarrased. Also I don't think I would have ever sarted trying 3's without a day competeing in Intermediate.

That Being said I see Randy's point.
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       05-01-2008, 10:39 PM Reply   
Trevor- Last year's Novice division was almost similar to previous years' intermediate. I don't disagree with Randy, but I don't want to see anyone sandbag to win a division when they could be entirely competitive in the next division. I'd rather see them push themselves. A rider who is a low intermediate at the beginning of the season should ride intermediate, and push to get to the top of the class. A strong intermediate at the beginning of the season can be competitive in advanced and might even get to expert by the end of the season.

My 13 year old started last year in expert with only one expert trick- a toe 5. He pushed himself and halfway through the season started riding outlaw with only one outlaw trick- a tootsie roll. By the end of the season, he actually won an outlaw tournament on the last weekend. Of course he didn't qualify for U.S. Championships, but the progression he experienced would never have happened if he had tried to be the best doggone advanced rider he could be. This year he should be a strong outlaw contender riding as a 14 year old.

All that being said, there is a big difference between a motivated advanced/ expert rider and a novice kid who is struggling to figure out how he fits into this sport. Randy is totally correct that the psyche of the kid must be taken into account.
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-02-2008, 9:19 AM Reply   
Alright then Peter where the heck do I fit in to this sport? Old dude trying to find his way in this sport....LOL. And you know I'm going to sandbag in masters again. My wife still wont let me live down getting handled at Nat 2 yrs in a row. Man she's tough for a chcik that doesn't even ride.
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-02-2008, 9:30 AM Reply   
Thats ok Jeff this old man will be trying to find his way back into the sport. I might need to dig deep deep down in the bag.
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-02-2008, 5:33 PM Reply   
Peter, I totally agree I would never sandbag, the one time I got first I felt bad 'cause it felt like I was riding down a division. I had much more fun riding intermediate.

As for what a good pass looks like for intermediate I'd say you need a 3 and everyone will absolutely have a tantrum, scarecrow maybe? I actually don't remember too many of the runs, theres a tip for ya, if you intend to win you should probobly watch the other people's runs to see what they do, I always tell myself to do that, but I never seem to...

(Message edited by hawk7 on May 02, 2008)
Old     (lftaylor)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-03-2008, 6:33 AM Reply   
Taylor finished 2nd in Jr. Int last year. she had a back roll in pass 1 & front roll in pass 2. everything else was grabbed & 180'ed. To max out the score in that div a person needs a 3 & 1 invert in each pass with everything else grabbed & 180'ed
Old     (eccpaint)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-05-2008, 7:40 AM Reply   
Hey Jeff, after you get beat a few times, it makes winning that much sweeter. This could be your year!
Old     (wakeparent)      Join Date: Jan 2005       05-05-2008, 8:17 AM Reply   
Like Randy said, My son went to his first Int contest at 10 did 2 wake to wake jumps got bump to jr Intermeite at Nationals came in like 13th way behind Alex....
Old     (eas)      Join Date: Nov 2001       05-06-2008, 1:06 PM Reply   
....and now he's a rail grindin' mutha! the freakin' energizer bunny on rock star!!!

what's up Gordie? is Larry gonna come hit the plains this summer? tell him I say what up...maybe we see him in Ft. Worth....
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       05-06-2008, 1:41 PM Reply   
hey eric!!! Are you going to go to the No Fear event at TSR? And then worlds in Oklahoma...wow, two times in one year! Looking forward to seeing you. Hows the baby??
Old     (wakeparent)      Join Date: Jan 2005       05-06-2008, 5:07 PM Reply   
Hey Eric, how are you? I'm sure you will see him sooner than later....now he's a rail grindin' mutha freakin' energizer bunny on red bull...

Hey Eric, Okiehoma =internet, and now worlds what's gunna happen next!
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-06-2008, 5:49 PM Reply   
High jack, sorry. Gordie, you going to Atlanta?
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       05-06-2008, 7:58 PM Reply   
Hey Gordy, what did you call eric??
Old     (eas)      Join Date: Nov 2001       05-07-2008, 7:15 AM Reply   
I know! First we get one of them there talkin' boxes so we can watch stories about people we don't even know....then came the wide world of interweb on a talkin' box that doesn't talk....???... I had to take a break from the PNT (Pro Noodlin' Tour, of course!) just to wrap my mind around it all!

And I don't know how the heck we got worlds at our little run-off catchin' bar ditch. All I can say is bring plenty of water....it's gonna be hot but you won't want to drink it....you'll want to rinse the gas and oil smell off of you! Seriously...the water's nasty so don't like a smoke around your rider after his run!!

otherwise....probably won't be at TSR...but planning on Ft. Worth and of course will be at World's. If I thought there was any way I could qualify at Nationals in the old man's division, I would see you guys in Wisconsin, too....unfortunately, I am getting worked by the raley right now and not getting any closer on my 5....sucks! Besides that....hope to see you all sometime through the summer....take care...and tell all the guys good luck on the tour!

....coming to you live from the great state of waving wheat....where buffalo roam....teepees are still hot real estate....and we ride our horses to the costco....what?!?! (ha-ha...little left coast reference for my peeps because you know the wal-mart is king around here!)

Peace

p.s. my apologies to allen sasser for this major hijack! and I thought southern folk had some manners.....
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-07-2008, 7:32 AM Reply   
PNT eric you crack me up. Ryan's doing good, cutting the lawn yesterday. Another MRI on Monday.
Old     (wakeparent)      Join Date: Jan 2005       05-07-2008, 7:53 AM Reply   
Eric, you are to funny! Hope to see ya soon..

Randy, trying to figure out if it's in our budget for me to go, it's been a rough year with me being ill.
Cutting the lawn at Doug and Ryans house is like driving the car to the store, with that deluxe lawn cuttin machine Doug has....
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       05-07-2008, 9:25 AM Reply   
hey Eric what do you need to land in the "Old Man's Division" to qualify for worlds? I was thinking I might go to Wisconsin this year. There are a couple of things I want to learn before then but I wonder if I even have a chance of competing?
Old     (eas)      Join Date: Nov 2001       05-07-2008, 2:28 PM Reply   
Randy: yea....last year I was able to slide into the Master's division of the PNT....problem is....these old guys can really hold their breath!

Gordie: ain't that cadillac cutter of doug's a cherry piece of american iron? she sher is purty!

Gene: what up man. of course it depends on how many enter the division....but from what I can tell, I wouldn't go to nationals without at least one raley variation (or a big glide) and at least one 5.....I'd feel even better if I could take my crow to mobe. then mix in some of your other favorites (of course, blind is always better) and you should be at least competitive. I don't know if a 7 would be necessary; maybe someone else (who was at Wake Games) can shed some light.....but short of a raley, 5, and crow mobe I probably wouldn't spend the money to get there. It sure would be fun to hang out with all the cool people I've met from out west though. Oh....and if you go, find out where Colin and Andy are riding....apparently they blow minds up there. Good luck!
Old     (eas)      Join Date: Nov 2001       05-07-2008, 2:31 PM Reply   
p.s. Gene: you know we're not talking INT Nationals here....we're talking WWA Nationals. As previously stated, you have to win INT at state level to qualify for INT Nationals. Of course you knew that!
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       05-07-2008, 3:09 PM Reply   
Yeah I understand..... That is good information. I have got a TS5 pretty consistant and am pretty close to a Crow mobe so I may think about it if I can squeak out a couple of Crow Mobes before then. So it is not a point system like the INT right? How is it judged?
Old     (supradoug)      Join Date: Dec 2001       05-07-2008, 3:10 PM Reply   
wow, i better lock my mower up.....Gordy i have a room for you made up in the barn, sure looks comfy. eric we cant noodle now with all this rain, everything is flooded.
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       05-07-2008, 3:15 PM Reply   
Of course next year I am a Veteran. maybe I should just wait till then....
Old     (wakeparent)      Join Date: Jan 2005       05-07-2008, 5:19 PM Reply   
Eric and Gene I think if you go to nationals everyone in the old man divison is invited to worlds, I maybe wrong but maybe Randy or Doug will know.

Hey Doug, How's all the rain and tornatos you guy's are getting?
I can't wait to see my room! we will be burning wood and hangin out!

sorry for the HI-JACK
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       05-07-2008, 5:29 PM Reply   
That would be great!
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-07-2008, 5:37 PM Reply   
Gene, if you ride Nationals, pretty sure you will qualify for Worlds.

Doug I would like to try some noodling, can I use M-80's, that's how we noodle in the northwest

Sorry Allen, your thread has been jacked so much.

Eric just start a noodle thread so we can all talk some bare hand fishing and tractor stuff.
Old     (bamacpa)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-07-2008, 8:54 PM Reply   
"Sorry Allen, your thread has been jacked so much."

It's all good. Glad I could help out.
Old     (bamacpa)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-13-2008, 11:30 AM Reply   
Caleb, in your post above you said a 360 was necessary. So that means several people had 360s along with an invert?
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-13-2008, 6:02 PM Reply   
You will absolutely need a 360.
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-13-2008, 7:35 PM Reply   
Allen, it's not totally neccessary, but you do need a hell of a run without one. Just to be on the safe side, I would get one.
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-13-2008, 8:28 PM Reply   
Randy, have fun in Atlanta.

Gordie, you going down to Georgia as well?

Maybe I'll see you boys in Wisconsin. I'm trying to figure out the logistics. Any suggestions?
Old     (wakeparent)      Join Date: Jan 2005       05-13-2008, 9:18 PM Reply   
Nope, Maybe fort worth.

Fly in Chicago Ohare take the frwy north for 35 min your there...
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-13-2008, 9:29 PM Reply   
Brandon, I go into Milwaukee, easy airport to get in and out of, about the same drive as coming from O'Hare. Sorry Gordie O'Hare is a zoo.