Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through September 24, 2004

Old    adrenalinejunky            08-11-2004, 7:35 AM Reply   
Does anyone know the weight difference in a filled wedge tank and a filled flat tank on a SAN?
Old    akman            08-11-2004, 8:35 AM Reply   
Pretty sure the wedge is 280 filled and the flat tank it 200 but don't quote me on it.
Old     (wakejunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-11-2004, 4:49 PM Reply   
It's only a 100lb diff between the wedge and flat, the flat is 200 per side and the wedge is 250 per side.
IMHO the flat are better for space and such and you can always make up the diff with a couple sand bags or lead and still have more room. Plus you can put fat sacs on the top...like I have. hehe

Chris
Get the Grip you Deserve
No Slip Gator Grip
www.wakejunky.com
Old     (mdan)      Join Date: Apr 2003       08-12-2004, 6:28 AM Reply   
Chris,
you forgot to mention, that with the flat tanks, you can fill your fat sacs completely, up to 440pders are my max in the san with the flat tanks. I run the bags without the covers etc. etc.
Did you ever decide to make some extra arena seats?
Mike
Old    akman            08-12-2004, 8:43 AM Reply   
I did some checking on the ballast weights.....
Wedge tanks are 260lbs a side versus flat tanks of 200lbs a side.

The wedge tanks because of their shape take the extra weight right over the transom of the boat, so it's like having the extra 120lbs right over the rear of the boat.

You could add the extra 250lb or 400lb bags in the lockers but in my honest opinion you don't need too, you will need some extra weight but personally not that much.

I have 150lbs of lead right in front of each rear tank, I have 400lbs of lead right under the front cushion, and I have 2 pop product bags 40lbs each inside the cabin for fine tuning the wake.

Here is a picture of a 6' rider at 80' with 2 people in the boat going 22 or 23mph in freshwater.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-12-2004, 9:03 AM Reply   
Sweet picture, Gramps! I have the flat tanks in mine. With those and the center tank, I put 22 of those Pop Products bags through out the boat (6ea/240lbs over each flat tank, 8ea/320lbs in the bow). Another 2ea/80lbs in the cockpit for adjustment purposes. Probably about the same as Gramps, pretty darn nice wake. I'm tossing around the idea of adding another 100lbs over each tank and in the bow. Will be riding this weekend w/ 4 in the boat, I'll try to get a good shot
Old     (scooby76)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-12-2004, 9:40 AM Reply   
here is a pic of my SAN wake with about 2000lb total ballast and 3 guy in the boat. About 23 MPH. The rider is about 5' 11" 75ft line
Old    akman            08-12-2004, 9:57 AM Reply   
The only thing I would be careful of for you guys throwing bags over the hard tanks is mis-shaping or possible damage to the hard tanks themselves.

Try standing on the tanks and seeing how much the shape of the tank changes. I know it's only for a few hours at a time but still something to think about.

I don't have anything on top of my tanks when I'm on the water, just vests, towels and anything else extra we need.

SAN's take very little weight to get great shape and size which is one of many reasons we bought the boat.

Old     (d_rock)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-12-2004, 2:22 PM Reply   
What are the POP products bags? I have never heard of them...lead shot?
Old    akman            08-12-2004, 2:32 PM Reply   
Lead shot in plastic sealed bags that are inside of heavy duty vinyl bags that have handles. The bags are 40lbs and come in blue or black, I'm pretty sure you can only get them in Southern Cal because of shipping costs.

They work great since they have a handle you can move them around very easily and they form into whatever space you put them in.
Old     (d_rock)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-12-2004, 2:43 PM Reply   
Thanks gramps..I'm in Norcal so i'll go with plan B when I figure that out. I like the idea though. How much do they cost?
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       08-12-2004, 2:48 PM Reply   
Jeff,

where did you get your Pop Products? I want to get some for my bow storage area to replace the fat sac I have to put up there in the walkway. I think I heard Thane might have a connection?
Old    akman            08-12-2004, 2:58 PM Reply   
Jonathan, Try California Correct Craft, Wakesports in Orange or San Diego, M2O Marine, California Skier and if all else fails, try getting a hold of Greg Dick of Hyperlite.
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       08-12-2004, 3:09 PM Reply   
Thanks Gramps!
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-12-2004, 4:56 PM Reply   
As far as damaging/reshaping the tanks, I figure that it's a risk I take. If for some reason they get damaged, I have a line on some custom replacement tanks.
Old     (mdan)      Join Date: Apr 2003       08-12-2004, 6:18 PM Reply   
do you guys have the fiberglass covers over your flat tanks? I dont think you can damage the tanks with the fiberglass covers over them. I know the mechanics stand on the tanks when they work on the older sans etc. etc. Anyone plumb fat sacks up into the bow? does the cooler get in the way or is it removable?
Mike
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       08-12-2004, 11:01 PM Reply   
i added 600 lbs of lead and the wake is perfect (of course there's about 300 lbs of stereo/batteries too). i like the wedge tanks because i can get a board on it. of course now in the newer boats they've sealed that off so i don't see any reason not to get the flat tanks since no board is going to fit.

Wes
Old     (fbroen)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-13-2004, 9:30 AM Reply   
I wouldn't necessarily recommend this much , but the wedge thanks are pretty tough. When we wakesurf behind a friends' boat he loads up 800 pounds of lead on top of the drivers side tank. They seem to hold up (at least so far). The surf wake is awesome, but gotta be pretty careful when driving it though...
Old     (wake_fun)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-13-2004, 2:08 PM Reply   
GRAMPS,
I'm going to be in the Ontario area on Labor day weekend.....can I find those Pop bags in that area???? Let me know.
Thanks
Old    akman            08-13-2004, 5:56 PM Reply   
Wake Fun, you will be within an hour of California Correct Craft or California Skier from Ontario.

Wakesports Orange County is a little further and M2O is way out of your way unless you want to cruise to San Diego for the heck of it.
Old     (wake_fun)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-19-2004, 3:38 PM Reply   
Thanks, GRAMPS. I will try to make it to CCC.
Old     (superairdawg)      Join Date: May 2003       08-20-2004, 5:24 AM Reply   
Hey Mike D. I plumbed two side sacks in the bow of my '01. I trailer my boat and don't like solid weight, so all of my 1800+ lbs of ballast is water. A couple side sacks fit nicely under the bow, although you can't quite fill them all the way.
Old     (mdan)      Join Date: Apr 2003       08-20-2004, 5:14 PM Reply   
Joe,
do you vent them? if so, where? I would like to get the lead out of my bow also, if you have any pic's email me them or post them. How do you fill them, tied into what?
thanks,
Mike
2001 san 2400 pds