Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (onlyinboards)      Join Date: Oct 2014       01-06-2021, 7:40 AM Reply   
Just wanted to point out that it sure seems this coming season is going to be as crazy as last season. If you are going to be purchasing a bimini top, speakers, ballast, or any accessory for your boat i'd highly recommend getting your order in ASAP so you are sure that you get it by spring. Items will sell out like they did last year early and you could be stuck waiting months.

For boats, i can tell you OIB had 2750 boats listed in early Dec. and now there are about 2565 listed. That may seem like a lot but generally this time of year boat inventory goes UP, not down! Last year in March there were over 5000 new and used boats listed. I'd be shocked if we see 3300 at any point this year, which means again we'll have used boat prices that are sky high. So, if you in the market for a boat and find one at a reasonable price now, pull the trigger. Do not wait because these boats will sell immediately in the spring. I can't count how many times i had boat sellers tell me they sold their boats in 15 minutes this past season on OnlyInboards. These were not "steals" either, they were just priced reasonably and there were so many buyers that they'd get 30 leads in the first hour.

Anyway, just a friendly heads up for fellow WW'ers.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-08-2021, 1:41 PM Reply   
Curious to see your stats in the 3rd-4th week of February. That will paint a far more accurate picture.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       01-13-2021, 9:11 AM Reply   
thought of selling mine, but nervous about the cost of replacing it. I typically buy a few years old, I'm sure those will be the sweet spot for sellers
Old     (onlyinboards)      Join Date: Oct 2014       01-13-2021, 11:43 AM Reply   
I can tell you inventory is now down to 2500 listed boat on the site and over 150 boats have been listed in that time, so that's about 200 boat swing in just a week. i know there will be dealers getting inventory still but anything from 3-15 years old will be a HOT seller.
Old     (tre)      Join Date: Jul 2002 Location: WI       01-13-2021, 2:34 PM Reply   
Amazing. Thanks for the info. If any accessory is coming from China, jump on it now. Factories are all backed up. Container shipping from China to the USA typically runs about 3-4 weeks and it is now 8 weeks. Prices for shipping a container are sky high (up over 100% this year). I know some people are out of work but I see inflation coming. Prices of goods are going up. Container shipping costs are sky high. FedEx and UPS are raising prices. The dollar is very weak and seemingly getting weaker by the day which is contributing to the inflation for all imported accessories. Finally, add in good old supply and demand pricing.
Old     (onlyinboards)      Join Date: Oct 2014       01-14-2021, 5:29 AM Reply   
exactly Tre, i cannot stress this enough but if you intend to buy anything for your boat this season do it asap.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       01-14-2021, 10:05 PM Reply   
My wetsounds dealer told me today rev 12’s are in the pipeline and are supposedly scheduled to land sometime Q1 this year
Old     (onlyinboards)      Join Date: Oct 2014       02-08-2021, 1:10 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by markj View Post
Curious to see your stats in the 3rd-4th week of February. That will paint a far more accurate picture.
down to 2376.
Old     (onlyinboards)      Join Date: Oct 2014       02-16-2021, 6:03 AM Reply   
2279 Boats for sale on the site, this is crazy. If you are looking for a boat and find one do NOT wait!
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       02-17-2021, 4:27 AM Reply   
My local dealer is sold out of boats through 2021 already. They are having to turn people away into 2022. People are pulling their used boats off the market because they can't even replace them with new. I agree, now is the time to buy.
Old     (onlyinboards)      Join Date: Oct 2014       02-26-2021, 5:24 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by markj View Post
Down to 2140 boats. I don't think any more info is needed. Used boat prices will be through the roof all summer.
Old     (theloungelife)      Join Date: Jun 2012 Location: Salt Lake City, UT       02-26-2021, 6:17 AM Reply   
I’m wondering if it’s time to sell now too. Maybe depend on riding with friends and ride more cable. Lakes are more crowded than ever and I could get top dollar for my A22.

Then again, I debate this. After covid calms down will we see a divestment in local outdoor fun? Will boat supply flood the market dropping prices? Living in Utah the lakes have never been busier, the ski resort lines longer or the hiking trails more packed than this last year. Im wondering if we’re seeing a permanent change or if people are going to divest and start investing in travel, dining and other things that are hard to do right now. I’m sure it’ll be somewhere in the middle. I know there are many families who pulled the trigger on owning a boat during covid to replace traveling. Maybe they found they love it and it’s a permanent shift. Maybe they’ll go back.

All in all, i’ve debated selling regardless, with the idea of going new at some point. Timing is everything right!

Thanks for the data OnlyInboards! Super valuable.

Last edited by theloungelife; 02-26-2021 at 6:18 AM. Reason: Spell
Old     (onlyinboards)      Join Date: Oct 2014       02-26-2021, 8:03 AM Reply   
If you are going to sell now is the time, that is for sure. You can go here and check out what boats have actually sold for, be sure to look recently and also back in peak season last summer.

https://www.onlyinboards.com/SoldBoats.aspx
Old     (onlyinboards)      Join Date: Oct 2014       03-10-2021, 4:48 AM Reply   
2 weeks later, 1928 boats for sale. Wow!!!
Old     (rlwagens)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-10-2021, 5:18 AM Reply   
06 SANTE 210s selling for 36-40k. Going to be incredibly hard to resist listing mine this summer.
Old     (onlyinboards)      Join Date: Oct 2014       03-10-2021, 7:38 AM Reply   
easily selling for that! i'm going to list my boat probably end of June right before July 4th and see what happens.
Old     (onlyinboards)      Join Date: Oct 2014       04-05-2021, 5:54 AM Reply   
down to 1511 listings! If you have a boat for sale and can go the season with out one, and want to sell high, may want to look into listing it!
Old     (Koolaid)      Join Date: Feb 2018       04-05-2021, 7:56 AM Reply   
I am a little concerned that common available parts like shafts, struts and steering cables are going to be the cause of boats being down for months during the summer. Vendors not keeping up with the ramp up in production from all manufacturers, plus every boat in the back 40 of grandpas yard being brought back to life. Parts are getting more and more scarce lately.
Old     (bcd)      Join Date: Jun 2012       04-05-2021, 12:41 PM Reply   
You mean like my 2020 ford explorer? I hit a deer January 9th, and still don't have it back. Shop can't do any work because the radiator mount is on back order from ford, for 3 months now.
Old     (corerider)      Join Date: May 2008       04-06-2021, 8:35 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcd View Post
You mean like my 2020 ford explorer? I hit a deer January 9th, and still don't have it back. Shop can't do any work because the radiator mount is on back order from ford, for 3 months now.
Funny you mention this... I just got the following email this morning concerning my company truck that was ordered in January...

Dear Manager,

You currently have an F150 on order and due to a global semi-conductor shortage, Ford has not scheduled a production date as yet.

The order has not been canceled, however, we could take the opportunity to change this vehicle to a hybrid engine rather than a regular gas engine and continue on our path to lowering carbon emissions.

I’ve highlighted the minimal changes below:

• The cab type will be a moving to a Super Crew truck with a 6.5ft. bed from a Super Cab.
• The truck itself will now be 11.8” longer
• The fuel tank will drop from 36 to 26 gallons with the hybrid model.
• Hybrid engine comes with an onboard 2.4Kw inverter

I could care less because I don't pay for it, but I thought it was an interesting way to possibly up-sale a new vehicle! Honestly I'd kinda like to try the hybrid model just out of curiosity.
Old     (Bakes)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-07-2021, 5:37 AM Reply   
Well...the good news is that 2 years from now, well into the next recession and likely doubled gas prices, nobody will be able to afford to do anything but drink vodka. So that will keep them out of our lakes and mountains.
Old     (scotthons)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-07-2021, 7:23 AM Reply   
The Ford dealership here has had my in-laws Explorer for over 5 months now with parts on back order. Of course, blaming everything on Covid.
Old     (Xbigpun66)      Join Date: Aug 2016       04-07-2021, 4:55 PM Reply   
Maybe they should call ford and ask them why they don't have parts to fix the car. I happen to know that the Toyota parts system is backed up with backorders due to a number of factors which are related to covid related shut downs of partner businesses and transport companies. It seems to be a direct result of many of these companies moving from warehousing systems to a "just in time" system of parts supply years ago. This results in a more noticeable disruption at the customer level as a result.
Old     (bcd)      Join Date: Jun 2012       04-08-2021, 3:03 AM Reply   
Do you have a phone number for someone at ford that would actually be able to do something about it?

I guess I never tied in ford to the boat concern, so here's my point: the auto industry sales haven't really sky rocketed like boats have during covid, and they can't keep up. Just imagine what happens when your boat goes into the shop and it needs parts...
Old     (theloungelife)      Join Date: Jun 2012 Location: Salt Lake City, UT       04-13-2021, 8:37 AM Reply   
Dang, was on onlyiboards and only 1366 active listings. Of those 748 have a listed price other than $1. I personally hate the ads for $1 or to call them, so this is the important number to me. I get it, but kills my browsing vibe. Anyway, it's wild how this number just keeps going down.
Old     (theloungelife)      Join Date: Jun 2012 Location: Salt Lake City, UT       04-13-2021, 8:38 AM Reply   
Would love to see metrics about avg number of days a boat listing is active before sold. Or the balance between number of listings vs numnber of sales. I assume less people are selling and more are buying right now
Old     (onlyinboards)      Join Date: Oct 2014       05-10-2021, 7:57 AM Reply   
Bonkers - under 1000 boats for the first time in probably 12 years.
Old     (tre)      Join Date: Jul 2002 Location: WI       05-12-2021, 7:09 AM Reply   
Wow. I wonder if you will hit an all time record for the least number of boats available. There were a lot less inboards 12 years ago so naturally a lot less boats to be listed on onlyinboards. The last 12 years has been great for the inboard boat manufacturers and they have been pumping out new boats at max capacity. There should be more boats than ever on onlyinboards. I'm amazed you are down under 1,000 boats.
Old     (onlyinboards)      Join Date: Oct 2014       05-12-2021, 8:20 AM Reply   
me too, and the prices people are asking and getting for boats is incredible.
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       06-08-2021, 8:40 PM Reply   
POP yachts has always been overpriced, but this is the craziest I've seen
https://moreboats.com/boats/nautique/super-sport/420719
Old     (onlyinboards)      Join Date: Oct 2014       06-11-2021, 6:07 AM Reply   
Yeah, that is INSANE. No way they get close to that but i'd bet they'd get 35k which is still nuts.

Seems to me it's starting to stabilize. Been hovering around 850 boats on the site for a while now, not going down but not going up much either. I think (my opinion) is we've hit the apex and we'll start seeing some boats come on the market again. But i could be wrong, just a gut feeling.
Old     (onlyinboards)      Join Date: Oct 2014       06-21-2021, 11:29 AM Reply   
Tides could be turning, seeing an influx of boats, was down to 840 at the lowest and now almost back to 900 boats. Could we see used boat prices start to come down?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-18-2021, 6:34 PM Reply   
What are the numbers these days?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-19-2021, 5:26 AM Reply   
1993 listings? so inventory has doubled?
Old     (onlyinboards)      Join Date: Oct 2014       08-20-2021, 5:29 AM Reply   
2052 this morning, a LOT of people are dumping their boats now.
Old     (tweeder)      Join Date: Aug 2015       09-01-2021, 9:07 AM Reply   
Let's see how long all these boats sit. I just bought a house with a boat slip and I will let that thing sit empty rather than pay 35k for an early 2000's vdrive.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-01-2021, 6:45 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeder View Post
Let's see how long all these boats sit. I just bought a house with a boat slip and I will let that thing sit empty rather than pay 35k for an early 2000's vdrive.
Wise thinking. You're bound to find a bargain at the end of November/beginning of December.
Old     (tweeder)      Join Date: Aug 2015       09-27-2021, 3:14 AM Reply   
2622 listings I see on OnlyInboards. Stock is going up. Lots of ads for used boats still up after a month. I am keeping my fingers crossed.
Old     (theloungelife)      Join Date: Jun 2012 Location: Salt Lake City, UT       09-27-2021, 3:45 AM Reply   
Yeah really interested to see how this plays out. Does seem like a lot more boats are on the market now. That said, it is probably common for this time of year. The 2.5Kish is still much less than normal I presume. Would be interesting if there was a way to get data from FB marketplace as well. I had my boat listed from late Aug to mid Sept. Got some bites but it wasn't the sellers market I was expecting. Ended up just trading it in to have it done with.
Old     (miljack)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-30-2021, 4:00 AM Reply   
Ian,
What is the normal range for total boats listed on your site this time of year? I see over 2660 boats listed this morning.
Old     (onlyinboards)      Join Date: Oct 2014       02-22-2022, 9:41 AM Reply   
Sorry i had forgot about this thread. Still hovering at 2500. Inventory is still way down. Pre-COVID spring inventory was generally 4-5000 boats.
Old     (theloungelife)      Join Date: Jun 2012 Location: Salt Lake City, UT       02-24-2022, 9:22 AM Reply   
Thanks for the updates!
Old     (miljack)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-19-2022, 5:12 AM Reply   
I saw 2,893 this morning for sale 8/19/22, way up, but seems about right for near the end of the season for much of the USA?
Old     (onlyinboards)      Join Date: Oct 2014       08-27-2022, 7:04 AM Reply   
Yeah, it is really shooting up now. I'd guess we'll be over 3000 by Monday morning.
Old     (tre)      Join Date: Jul 2002 Location: WI       08-29-2022, 5:34 PM Reply   
Higher but is this still low compared to normal?
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       08-30-2022, 1:26 AM Reply   
I will be interesting to see when or if the bottom falls out relative to normal times back in 2019. When that 5000 boats or more are listed again.
Old     (onlyinboards)      Join Date: Oct 2014       08-30-2022, 7:10 AM Reply   
Still low compared to pre-covid yes. The people with boats from 2006-2014 or so seem to be hanging on to them still.
Old     (mastercraf)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-30-2022, 3:02 PM Reply   
Are there additional statistics you can offer for used inboard boat sales other than total amount being offered on onlyinboards?
I can search make and model and year range on the website and get a relative average price which is awesome - if people are truthful about the sale price, and mark it appropriately? I would like to learn more about how the prices are monitored for used sales.

Are there other influences that dictate the decrease in total users of the website other than used boat sales slowing?
For example, Facebook marketplace arguably has continued to increase in popularity as the leader of free used item advertisement. The free offering on facebook includes 20 photos for vehicles and 10 photos for items with one video which you can continue to renew until it's sold.
Onlyinboards offers a free options with one photo included, but to step up to match the free offering of facebook, users need to purchase at least a standard plus ad for 6 photos at 20$ or the premium teir for 10 photos and a video for $40. If users can get past the pricing, then I need to be worried about timing the market correctly since my ad expires in 30 to 60 days at those teirs respectfully.

I argue for the pricing matrix for adversitement as it limits the rif raf from posting low quality ads and generally low quality boats. I enjoy the market data that has been provided, and continue to always think there is a place in the market for a premium offering which entices premium sellers and buyers.

I argue against using the amount of ads as the only statistic to give an indication of the collective used inboard market.
Old     (onlyinboards)      Join Date: Oct 2014       08-31-2022, 7:38 AM Reply   
I am only providing feedback based on what I'm seeing on the site. Of course a true overview of the market cannot be gleaned by the number of ads on the site. it was just one tidbit of data I thought worth sharing.

Also, on OIB you can renew your ad for $8.95. And if you emailed me and asked I'd probably do it for free. There is no doubt FB is gaining market share, but it's just like Craigslist IMO. Those free sites seem to generate the riff raff like you said.

I feel that the vast majority of people who provide the sale price are being truthful. It is totally optional to provide that information, so if they do not want to share they do not have to.