Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (jaws)      Join Date: May 2012       02-20-2018, 10:25 AM Reply   
I am looking for some guidance on LED strip lights. I am rebuilding our family pontoon and one addition i would like to add are 2 - 16ft of the RGB strip lights above the toons attached to the floor on the outside. Has anyone done this, if so what parts would i need? I would imagine some type of converter with the LED lights. Thank you in advance.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-20-2018, 11:55 AM Reply   
Are you wanting multi color RGB leds or just a one color LED strip.

RGB's need to be wired to a control.

Regular LED's you basically wire to a switch that is wired to the battery.
Old     (jaws)      Join Date: May 2012       02-20-2018, 12:59 PM Reply   
i was wanting multi color RGB leds.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-20-2018, 4:46 PM Reply   
I did this on my mom's boat.... they're still kicking after four years.

I had a "music" controller I stashed in the helm and wired to a switch. From there I could turn the lights on / off from the dash and to change the light setting I had to open a small access door and could change settings via a remote. From the controller I bought a spool of RGB wire to run from the controller to the LED strips themselves. I did solder-less connectors and sealed with silicone. I believe I used 5050 waterproof LEDs for each side attached with marine epoxy + physical "U" fasteners ever 12" or so.
Sealed the ends off with more silicone.

I don't have a buy list but would suggest:
Switch for Dash
LED Controller (should be DC 12v)
RGB Extension cable (from controller to LED strips)
RGB connectors (if you don't want to solder)
LED strips
silicone (to seal up things)
Fasteners / adhesive to attach to hull

Not sure if the link will work - but someone on the lake snagged a video of the lights in aciton:
https://www.facebook.com/sly4ever/vi...447985/?type=3
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-21-2018, 3:20 AM Reply   
Most RGB strips are in the 11mm range wide. I took a piece of the RGB strip
To the local metal supply. I matched it up with some U shaped Aluminum that I mounted on the bottom side of the deck (the aluminum works as a holder/ protecter for the RGB lights) we used 20 foot sections Put together to make one 25 foot plus mount for the lights. Once we mounted the aluminum to the bottom side of the deck we ran some silicone in the Chanel and put the lights inside and wired them up. We used the Wetsounds RGB lights and the Wetsounds RGB controller, they are very high quality and you will not have any issues with them.
Old     (jaws)      Join Date: May 2012       02-21-2018, 6:16 AM Reply   
Thanks G and Nick!
Old     (MariusTitulescu)      Join Date: Dec 2015       02-15-2022, 3:38 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaws View Post
i was wanting multi color RGB leds.
You can look up NDR Electric. They have a multitude of RGB solutions.