Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (souperfly)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-26-2006, 12:43 PM Reply   
There's plenty of V drive surf pics, but I'd like to see how dialed in some of us have our DD's dialed. Mainly because I don't have a V drive.

So post your pics and set-ups!

The lake was extremely choppy, so no wakeboarding, but we got some good time on the surfers!

My girl:
Upload

Myself:
Upload

96 Malibu Sunsetter LX
Wedge +880lbs ballast and three people on the boat.
Old     (ogopogo)      Join Date: May 2005       07-26-2006, 12:57 PM Reply   
2000 Supra Launch no idea how much ballast, always depends on how many people on the boat, at least 800 lbs built in and about 300 in lead in the front, prob 450 in back ski locker....Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (wakeeater)      Join Date: May 2002       07-26-2006, 3:26 PM Reply   
and where are your vests ryan d. surfing still requires them especially. i'll have some pics for this thread come monday
Old     (ogopogo)      Join Date: May 2005       07-26-2006, 3:38 PM Reply   
not in Canada Bro........... well maybe, but there are no copppers on our lake to nail us.

That might sound cocky and I do know about the C02 danger. My girl usually wears one and I don't.

Thanks for the reminder.
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-26-2006, 4:47 PM Reply   
My profile has a pick of our wake
Old     (wakeeater)      Join Date: May 2002       07-26-2006, 5:17 PM Reply   
alright cool but i think its a illeagl to not wear a vest while doing watersports anywhere. butas long you know of the dangers
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-26-2006, 11:18 PM Reply   
Not in Oregon, you don't need to wear a life jacket, you just need to have one in the boat for the person who is behind it and for all the others in the boat as well...that said I ALWAYS wear my PFD.
Old    surfdad            07-27-2006, 3:59 AM Reply   
We are here in Minnesota for a bit and they don't require a PFD for any activity, you can wakeboard without a PFD and we saw plenty of folks doing just that. No skier down flag requirement either. We also saw folks teak surfing and apparently that isn't a problem either! I haven't checked the laws specific to MN, but it I was pretty amazed in the past by the divergence in requirements from state to state. In CA, you have to wear a PFD all the time - I'm waiting for the legislature to require PFD use when you take a bath! :-)

I'm with Patrick and Charley, it's so easy to just don a PFD, why not?
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-27-2006, 4:19 AM Reply   
The list of people that have drowned wearing life jackets is much shorter than the list of folks drowning without a life jacket.
Old     (souperfly)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-27-2006, 12:48 PM Reply   
Ok, back on topic. Only 3 people that surf a DD? Lets see some of those pics!
Old     (ogopogo)      Join Date: May 2005       07-27-2006, 1:26 PM Reply   
I used to surf on our 84 centurion tru trac! 1000lbs of water and or as many people as we could fit in. That was before everyone had digis on the boat though so no pics. But the wake was nice enough for ollies and butter slides etc.........
Old     (ktmwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-28-2006, 12:35 AM Reply   
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (ktmwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-28-2006, 12:39 AM Reply   
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (bruce)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-28-2006, 4:42 AM Reply   
No vest= no brains
Old     (jimgalloway)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-28-2006, 10:38 AM Reply   
Hey Brainless - So I guess each and every one of the 500,000 real surfers in America has no brain. Gee, that sounds smart!
Old    surfdad            07-28-2006, 11:07 AM Reply   
Yeah and what about all the Bull Riders that don't wear PFD's, huh?! Oh wait, that's a different sport too. :-)

Jim, I don't think anyone in a WAKESURFING FORUM is suggesting that a PFD is required while surfing in the ocean. We all know the differences bewteen salt water vs fresh water and duck diving vs waiting for the boat to come back.

Certainly, behind the boat there isn't any reason NOT to wear a PFD, right? My esteemed colleague, you wouldn't be suggesting otherwise, would you?
Old     (jimgalloway)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-28-2006, 4:44 PM Reply   
Jeff - Not at all. I just enjoy the pictures that people post, and dont appreciate picky comments by do-gooders like Coinless. I always us a PFD in the lake. But I dont belittle someone who occasionally doesnt use one or may have forgotten to put one on! Longboarders never duck dive and duck-diving is mainly a convenience for shortboarders, not a necessity. With rip currents, wave action, and distance from shore, the ocean is generally more dangerous than the lake. I believe it is mostly macho tradition that surfers don't use PFDs. In either case, the implication that someone is stupid for not wearing a PFD while practicing a sport that is as safe as ocean surfing or wakesurfing is rude and uncalled for.
Old    surfdad            07-28-2006, 5:41 PM Reply   
I am the epitome of picky do-gooders. :-) sadly, when we post we make representations of acceptablity. Many folks merely lurk within these forums and have relatively little specific knowledge of the sport. We, those among us with more knowledge, have a duty, in fact I would say a burden to either NOT post a picture which condones inappropriate behavior OR always remember :-)

I would concur that name calling diminishes the credibility of those involved.

Picky do-gooder that I am, I feel that putting on a PFD for any behind the boat sport is pretty easy AND increases safety immeasurably.

I also would encourage those of us that are seen as experts, or as representing the wakesurfing community to not condone practices which can lead to unsafe behaviors, or as is the case for you and I Jim, here in California, would be illegal.
Old     (gpalovcak)      Join Date: May 2003       07-28-2006, 6:52 PM Reply   
Upload

Here is our mastercraft dd 205. I am not good but have fun at it.
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       07-29-2006, 12:53 AM Reply   
Heres my MB 190 plus wake. We had to try the Ol Red the 10' board. Still fun though.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

We get the wake dialed in a little more every time.
Old     (woodawg)      Join Date: Dec 2003       08-02-2006, 1:57 PM Reply   
1984 Ski Nautique 2001
Fatsac in the rear and a tubesac on the surf side.Upload
Old     (shawman)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-21-2006, 3:22 PM Reply   
MC 197/X-7 with one Launch Pad in the rear and 2 people on the surf side.
Upload
Upload
Old     (ironhorse33)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-02-2006, 7:52 PM Reply   
hi there we are from calgary, season almost over.....tried a few boards this week.phase 5 was good,xbc fish(good cruiser), grom (my son had a tough time spinning it. anybody try the xbc skate? let me know if you have any exp. with the boards i mentioned Phase 5 seems to be the one to keep for tricks. jim