Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through May 13, 2004

Old    heyyou            04-14-2004, 12:27 AM Reply   
Hi all, will some one please answer a simple question for me. When purchasing an amp should the amp correspond to the rms of the speakers. For example, I purchased defcon 3's which are rated at 75rms & 150 peak per speaker. I'm wiring them a 2 ohms which means 150 rms & 300 peak per side.
So what is the ideal 2 channel amp for me. How many watts? Also, how much is too much and visa versa.
thanks
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-14-2004, 12:49 AM Reply   
Dude, you were born that way... just accept it.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-14-2004, 4:38 AM Reply   
from my experience and speaking to others you want an amp close to or just above the speakers rating, that way you can turn the gain down just a hair and have a good clean solid sound going to your speakers...right at their max rating. For cars this may no be so crucial but for a boat where the ambient sound level is so high you want as much good clean spl as you can stand.
Old    wolfpack            04-14-2004, 8:07 AM Reply   
always over power rather than under power. A 150RMS per channel at 4 ohms amp is going to be able to give a cleaner sound at a higher volume.
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       04-14-2004, 8:29 AM Reply   
You will need an amp that can deliver at a 2 ohm load per channel.Very important. If it is not rated for 2 ohm loads, you are going to cook your amp fast. Once you find one that has the ability to do 2 ohms per channel, then you are going to want at least 75 rms per channel at 2 ohms from the amp.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-18-2004, 6:54 PM Reply   
andrew if he continually runs ....say 90 watts or rms music through 75 watt speakers what do you think will happen?? Fuses are rated for a reason, bolts have a standard torque, oh and speakers have a rated max power, go over it for an extended period like...say cranking music to here behind the boat and they will crackle.