Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through May 13, 2004

Old     (rem_pss308)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-12-2004, 1:37 PM Reply   
I have a Mastercraft 1993 Prostar 205 with 351 engine. I am interested to know about changing the transmission fluid.
Does anyone know what kind of oil this transmission takes,( what weight ) and how do I change the oil.( anything to be aware of ) I am familiar with automobiles, But new to the boats.I have changed the motor oil, and filter, impeller, and fuel filter.I read also on another thread that there are grease fittings on the steering. Does anyone know If I have any.
Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-12-2004, 1:56 PM Reply   
Go to a car parts store and look for a bulb that will let you connect a hose to either side of it. I don't know how to explain it. You will sqeeze it with your hand to drawn the fluid in/out. It will have arrows to show which way the fluid goes.

Get 2, 2 liters or 2 one gallon jugs empty and clean. Stick the the hose on the transmission and start sucking the tranmission fluid into one of the jugs. Make sure to move the hose around so that you get as much out as you can. Once you get it all out fill the other empty one up with the same amount that you took out. That way you put in the exact that you took out. Provided is was correct to start with. Then the first time you go to the water check it again. Always check your fluids in the water not on the trailer. I have done it this way for many years and it has yet to fail me. I use Dexron III transmision fluid. It will need 2 quarts. Take a spare quart of oil nad transmission fluid on the boat. A long with your spare impeller and alternator belt.

Your grease fittings are in back by the gas tank and prop. You have to remove the engine cover and the piece that goes with it to see it. I think you have 2 or 3 fittings.

Old     (puckinshat)      Join Date: Sep 2003       04-12-2004, 5:23 PM Reply   
A 93 is different than a 95. I have a 94, which is the same as a 93.

Take the back seat out. Unscrew the middle floor board behind the engine compartmet, the part that the hinges are on. Slide the floor piece and the engine compartment towards the bow and them flip them both back to reveal the bowels of the engine compartment. Then do as face planter says. 2 quarts are right and always check before you go out. I had a slow leak in my tranny and am getting it rebuilt as we speak. My uncle is a auto / comp ski boat mechanic and he made me take the tranny out before rebuliding it so I know how much it sucks. Also, don;t step on your blower exhaust or it will break. I did that. Good luck. Any other questions, post them and I will talk to my uncle for ya.
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       04-14-2004, 6:20 PM Reply   
Is the process the same for a V-drive. I have a Centurion with a Walter V-drive transmission. Do you extract the fluid from the top opening where the little dipstick is? I need to do this and I'm thinking it will be less hassle to do it myself. Thanks for any input.
Old     (levi)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-14-2004, 8:50 PM Reply   
I used a "suckup" and it worked pretty well. check one out at www.skidim.com . You just pump it up like a weed sprayer, but somehow it actually creates suction w/ its valve system. You just suck it out right through the dip stick hole. I was only able to get about 1 quart out though..so I hope that was good enough. The fluid look new though so I'm not too worried. I used the Dex III fluid I think, but some use 20 weight motor oil. Make sure you know what you pump out as you do not want to mix the 2. The tranny fluid will be red in color.