Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       11-05-2010, 11:24 AM Reply   
I wanted to give an update on the thread i started a month or so back.
http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=783748

I actually had to go to 2 harbor freights to get all 4 jacks (2 at one store and 2 at the other) one of them gave me an aditional 20% off due to the fact that they said they had all 4 when i called and when i got there they somehow couldn't find them. Total for all 4 came out to just under $240 including tax.

We moved into our new house about a month ago and we finally had things in a state to where we could attempt to put the boat in the garage. As stated in the other thread, the plan is to put the boat in the garage for the winter and come spring time we plan to have the side yard paved and get a gate installed so we can put the boat on the side of the house.
If it isn't obvious, we want the boat to go where the single garage opening is , unfortunately the garage door is too small thus the reason for the jacks and hav
ing to slide the boat over once in the garage.

The trailer for our 89 Sunsetter had been modified with a removable tongue by the original owner. however they never put on the brake disconnect. Luckily the original trailer manufacturer (VM trailers) is in Fresno so i was able to drop the boat off and 2 days later they were done. I think it came out pretty nice and i like the fact that they welded brackets on both sides instead of coming directly off the master cylinder.

I got the boat home and started putting the jacks together, everything assembled rather smoothly and they seemed to be really well built. I backed the trailer into the 2 car opening in the garage disconnected the hitch removed the toungue and started to jack up the wheels. Again i was pleasantly surprised at how easily the jacks lifted up the tires. These jacks are mechanical unlike the hydraulic ones that others have talked about and they were super easy to use. Getting the boat moving was the tough part, more like trying to get all the casters headed in the right direction. but once they were moving it was relatively easy to slide the boat over to where we wanted it. The casters even rolled easily over the expansion joint in the concrete floor.

wish i had pictures of the boat actually up on the dollies, I would have to say that i would definately recommnd the HF dollies to someone else attempting the same type of project. just be aware of the weight limit. these were set at 1250 lbs per dolly so up to 5000lbs for a tandem axel trailer. I estimate that my boat and trailer are somewhere around 3500 lbs however if i had a single axle i would be over the limit of just the 2 jacks.

my wife also blogged about it here
www.welcometoournest.blogspot.com
Attached Images

Last edited by ldr; 11-05-2010 at 11:27 AM.