Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (cmeriptahoe)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-04-2006, 12:30 PM Reply   
i need a board. im not a beginner, ive surfed a fair amount and can easily get up and go for hours and im starting to get a little more aggressive. what would be a good board that i would still like if i kept progressing?
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-04-2006, 1:40 PM Reply   
Upload
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-04-2006, 1:42 PM Reply   
Surf This is definitely a board, skim that is more of a sheet.
Old     (anodyne)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-05-2006, 8:57 AM Reply   
A have to agree with Ed...

Surf this is a little bit knifier since it's so narrow, although the length inhibits its performance a little... I just like the way it edges though. Definitely helped me when I started working on aerials and spins.
Old    surfdad            08-07-2006, 6:12 AM Reply   
Kidding aside, Calvin we need more info...how much you weigh, what sort of wake you typically ride on and your aspirations for the future - skim or surf. That will give us enough info to point you to some options.
Old    surfdad            08-07-2006, 6:13 AM Reply   
Kidding aside, Calvin we need more info...how much you weigh, what sort of wake you typically ride on and your aspirations for the future - skim/surf - shuvits or HUGE aerials. That will give us enough info to point you to some options.
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-07-2006, 8:00 AM Reply   
Big airs aren't possible skimstyle? I've yet to see a surfstyle rider get as high as Bill Bryan on a skimboard.
Old    surfdad            08-07-2006, 11:00 AM Reply   
I have :-) I'd put James or Chase Hasen to task against Bill behind a boat. Sean, also we are addressing the request for a board recommendation from an average rider, are you suggesting that Bill Bryan is an average rider? :-) I believe that you put Rob Machado behind a boat and he'll boost bigger airs than Bill, I also think Chase and James can rival Bill and are considerable younger, with much less experience.

The point of differentiation in my original post is that the "average" rider that wants to throw airs will achieve that easier with a surfstyle board. The average rider that wants to do more technical, skate style tricks will best achieve that with a skimstyle board. Do you disagree?
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-07-2006, 4:22 PM Reply   
Not really when you consider that James and Chase probably wakesurf 75-100 days a year and the only experience skimmers have is during the actual contest. I know that Jaime does absolutely no wakesurfing besides when he's at a contest.

"skim/surf - shuvits or HUGE aerials" is a very strong generalization and one I don't really agree with. If we're talking about the "average" rider I could have also said- What do you want to do- cruise and try the occasional air or do you want to do it all.

I'll agree that the mass of a surfstyle board gives it more potential for height but if we are talking about your average rider and the ability to learn airs then IMO it's easier to ollie (in ANY boardsport) on the smallest and thinnest board possible. In other words it takes
less effort the closer you are to the surface you are ollieing off whether it's concrete, snow, or water.

Also in my experience your "average" surfstyle rider doesn't do airs.
Old    surfdad            08-07-2006, 4:47 PM Reply   
You are busting my chops on semantics? :-) Then state "cruise or do it all" - LOL! Take the HUGE out of my statement. :-) Lordy. And it was DESIGNED to be a generalization, so as to illicit a response. :-)

You are an advocate for skimstyle boards, and you assist in the marketing of Walzer boards...and I would argue several of your assertions...but this discussion is way off course.

In the opinion of Sean, CASkimmer a skimstyle board will allow you to "do it all". IMO, to directly address the question, I feel there are significant style differences/preferences and I believe making a selection based upon those preferences will best suit the purchaser of a new board. So in getting BACK to the original question, does Calvin have a preference?
Old     (cmeriptahoe)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-20-2006, 9:05 PM Reply   
Calvin does have a preference.... Calvin prefers surfstyle type riding. Coincidentally Calvin also recently purchased a 5"4" Fish from the guys over at XBC. Thanks for all the help.