Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through May 13, 2004

Old    whitechocolate            04-13-2004, 8:16 AM Reply   
Nice artical Mike.

Theres lots of installers here on this board. I was wondering what you all thought of Major's JL audio system on her X-star? I thought it was very clean, But I thought 2- 10's was a little small for a X-star.
Old    markb            04-13-2004, 8:42 AM Reply   
Not so sure about the amp rack. Cool looking but it looks like it's part of a home theater system. Maybe it's the picture, but to me it looks out of place.
Old    hyperryd            04-13-2004, 8:44 AM Reply   
It is very clean, but I don't see $20K. The amp rack, sub enclosures and crossover rack are all nice, but I don't see anything else that is that custom. I agree that I would want some more size on the subs. It is nice to see audio manufacturers going after the wakeboarding segment though, so I love it.
Old    bigdeal            04-13-2004, 9:17 AM Reply   
Hey guys, where can I view some pics of Major's system? Been following along with these threads (or at least I thought I was), but haven't seen any real detail or pics of her system.
Old     (actiondcpd)      Join Date: Apr 2003       04-13-2004, 9:30 AM Reply   
Mike,

It is on the front page.
Old     (lukeduke95)      Join Date: May 2002       04-13-2004, 9:44 AM Reply   
I think the rack is kinda odd. It takes up a bunch of room. Move it to one side, but to leave it chillin in the middle, I dont understand. I guess its cool, has the bling factor.

I prefer very clean install, stuff you don't even see. Even if it is under the observers seat move it to the back, how many times will you actually be adjusting it.
Like Ronco says "Set it and forget it"

Lucas
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-13-2004, 1:41 PM Reply   
nice system BUT....

I think for the average person.. no matter what you spend on a system... you want to get the best sound and best install you can afford... i think i would have rather seen a system in the boat that was hidden in every little corner... nothing sticking out or taing up a lot of storage or things that look like they were just placed there....

i like when a stereo system is loud and clear and when you go to show it off.. there isnt anything visible.. hidden and installed like it was part of the boat at the building process...

just my thoughts.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-13-2004, 1:51 PM Reply   
Yeah point taken, but this is a display boat, they want the gear on display so tucking it away in a clean and practical way dosn't really serve there purpose.
Old     (sydwayz)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-13-2004, 2:26 PM Reply   
Custom install....What a joke. $20k. Ha. No custom molded speaker enclosures, no power actuated amp racks, not even some "Bigasswake" lighting. There are guys on this forum that have better systems for less. Phaeton and Grant are just two. I know JL stuff is spendy and install ain't cheap , but come on already.
Old    swpmwinc            04-13-2004, 2:35 PM Reply   
I have to agree the install is nothing special. I would think that they would have gone the full custom route. My install has more of a custom feel than her boat,and I did not spend that kind of money.
Old    whitechocolate            04-13-2004, 2:52 PM Reply   
I was trying not to be a nit picker and just liked the fact,what John (hyperryd) pointed out that audio equipment makers put there time and $ in to a boat, Nice trend. I hope others follow soon and more pro's start showing up with display type boats, I totaly think the market is there. Kyle & Mark had a good point about the amp racks ect I to thought it was kind of funky??? Whats even more weird JL suguests that you dont mount there amps like how they did on majors rack. "WO" I just said "Majors Rack". Well you know what im talking about. I understand they need to show off there Amps/Display there product, but didnt think they did a good job with the amps. The blue plexy in the rack is a great touch, The blue sub box was IMO is very clean and came out top notch. I see they made a nice display for the X-overs and the Line driver but IMO who cares about X-over's on display. I would rather see the amps or fused distrubution blocks/or battrey's on display.
As far as $20 grand I can see it. If this was anyone else's X-star or system all I could/would say is "WOW" or "KILLER SET UP", Is it fair for me to be picky because Its Her's or a JL-team boat. No! So my official comment is "Awesome" & Top Notch. Nice set up.!

Old    triplexracing            04-13-2004, 5:35 PM Reply   
i dont think there is anymore room to install anything bigger than a 10inch sub. the height from floor to the top isnt that much.
Old    triplexracing            04-13-2004, 5:39 PM Reply   
heres my setup. i knew it was going to take up some room so i kinda made it big. sorry about the lighting.
amps
Old    xtigeman            04-13-2004, 6:16 PM Reply   
Wow, so many nice stereos out there now. That is a really nice looking set-up Dodge.
Old     (cdm)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-13-2004, 8:12 PM Reply   
the only problem I see is less available room for ballast bags in the nose... I have two under the bow seats.. I think these "systems" would take away from my available ballast space.. And that just cannot happen.. I agree, the more hidden the install the better.. And what happens if the bow goes under and a lot of water comes in.. Are these floor mounted amps etc in harms way?? Seems mounting them to the side is better..
Old    triplexracing            04-13-2004, 10:05 PM Reply   
cdm you are right about the water coming in. my amps are off the ground more than it looks cause i was worried to. but i haven't had any problems yet and i have had my share of major water scoops.if u watch what u are doing it wont happen but if you don't, man it comes in fast and alot.how much weight do u run in the front?per side?
Old    xtigeman            04-13-2004, 10:12 PM Reply   
Dodge, I have a similar set up and I put cover under my front seat cushions to keep water from entering up there in case in dumped the nose a bit. I also built a small wall like barrier in fron of my amp compartment to block water that might leak through the covers under neath the seat.
Old    triplexracing            04-13-2004, 10:31 PM Reply   
good idea doug with the cover i will have to try that. thanks
Old    whitechocolate            04-14-2004, 7:45 AM Reply   
Dodge you could do somthing like what doug did, Im plexy to color match your boat and add som Bling to your amp compartment
Old    whitechocolate            04-14-2004, 7:46 AM Reply   
Dodge: You could do somthing like what doug did, In plexyglass to color match your boat and add some Bling to your amp compartment
Old    hyperryd            04-14-2004, 9:54 AM Reply   
Deja-vu.