Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (chadcis62)      Join Date: Feb 2011       06-27-2011, 6:26 PM Reply   
Looking at the MB website I noticed that the 2-speed transmission is gone. It only appears in the engine options link, it use to have its own link and video. Does anyone know if MB dropped this feature?

It seems like a great idea if it lived up to the original marketing, it would let you save 30% on fuel. It would also mean that you could load up the boat and still get on plane, something that would require you to have to get an engine in the 400+ HP range which usually means you need to use high octane fuel. I think you could make a solid case for it for people who houseboat, where you can fuel at your houseboat, I don’t think they normally stock the houseboat tanks with high octane fuel. Does anyone know if MB still offers the 2-speed?
Old     (Cipher)      Join Date: Jun 2011       06-27-2011, 7:11 PM Reply   
Replaced by the wakeplate aka "Quick Plane Cavitation" assembly.

Less moving parts and not the same long term durabiility/huge repair bills for customers who are out of warranty and have a problem concerns for MB.
Old     (moto817)      Join Date: Jan 2011       06-27-2011, 8:54 PM Reply   
Ciphers post is correct and the "new" 400+ motors take regular fuel at least my ZR409 does
Old     (Cipher)      Join Date: Jun 2011       06-27-2011, 8:58 PM Reply   
Even the old 375hp Z06 "required" only mid-grade 89 octane and like other modern engines with knock sensors will retard the timing to prevent pre-ignition if using lower grade fuel.
Old     (chadcis62)      Join Date: Feb 2011       06-28-2011, 10:39 AM Reply   
Sounds like the 409 engine is the way to go then if you want to load up an MB.

-Thanks for answering what happend to the 2-speed tranny.
Old    SamIngram            06-28-2011, 10:51 AM Reply   
IMO the 2-speed transmission is an idea that Mike B. got off his father's boating days... The old school v-drives ran 2-speeds because they ran huge props and the 2-speed really helped turn the prop during take-off and at top end. My father ran an old school Powerglide with the pump on the back in his boat and it was/is indestructible. His last motor pushed over 1,400 HP with dual turbos and the transmission was the only thing that didn't break. I think he went through four Casale V-Drives in his GN boat.

I think it would be very useful if I was at Powell in my SAN, but other than the need to cruise a long way in order to get to my riding spot I can't see the need. It would definitely help to lower the RPM's during the long cruise though.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-28-2011, 11:22 PM Reply   
I thought it was a great idea! I can see how it would be seen as an added area for something to go wrong...but as complex as these boats are getting, its not that much more of an issue in my eyes.

If it was an option and i was buying MB id want it.
Old     (dtown)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-29-2011, 8:59 AM Reply   
We have a MB F21 Tomcat with a 409 a the 2-speed. Works great. We can fill up with 2k of ballast, 60 gall of fuel, have the boat loaded with people, live in Denver, and it will still plane out like it was empty at sea level. It's like a granny gear. When we 1st got the boat we tried to prop it so that the low gear was the primary gear and high gear was like an overdrive. Because of the gear ratios, it doesn't really work like that. High gear is our primary gear, and we use low gear to plane out quickly when the boat is loaded down. For our application it is awsome.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-29-2011, 9:06 AM Reply   
Do you surf with the low gear?
Old     (dtown)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-29-2011, 11:01 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffymahoney View Post
Do you surf with the low gear?
No. We surf between 11.5 and 12.2mph. Not turning over as many rpms in high gear, and it handles the load fine in high.

We have a buddy with the same boat, but with the smaller motor. He surfs in low.
Old     (nogoodbutIlikeit)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-28-2011, 10:48 AM Reply   
That is to bad if its true. For us high elevation people the option is great. Otherwise your stuck trying to custom supercharge the motor and that is much scarier than just having a second gear.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-28-2011, 10:53 AM Reply   
Is the 409hp pcm not sufficient?
Old     (Fiveflat)      Join Date: Sep 2010       07-28-2011, 2:44 PM Reply   
My buddy has the 2-speed tranny in his B-52. Everytime he switches to the higher gear when he's pulling someone it sounds like we should see the tranny tumbling out the transom in the wake. I always cringe when he shifts it.
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-28-2011, 4:19 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
Even the old 375hp Z06 "required" only mid-grade 89 octane and like other modern engines with knock sensors will retard the timing to prevent pre-ignition if using lower grade fuel.
There was never a 375HP Z06. If you mean the 1963 C2 Z06, that only made 360HP from the 327 L84. The Z06 made 385HP in 2001, and 405 in 02-04 from the LS6. The 06+ Z06 makes 505HP from the LS7. Not sure on the L84, but all LS6 and LS7 motors require a minimum of 91 octane. Lower grade fuel "can" be used with decreased performance and mileage by backing off timing, but in the end the lost fuel economy kills any cost savings between regular and premium fuels.

Even the LS1 requires premium. The Indmar LS1 in my Malibu states it requires 93 in the owner's manual (though the sticker on the coolant resivoir states 92 octane).
Old     (Cipher)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-28-2011, 8:24 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrousbird View Post
There was never a 375HP Z06. If you mean the 1963 C2 Z06, that only made 360HP from the 327 L84. The Z06 made 385HP in 2001, and 405 in 02-04 from the LS6. The 06+ Z06 makes 505HP from the LS7. Not sure on the L84, but all LS6 and LS7 motors require a minimum of 91 octane. Lower grade fuel "can" be used with decreased performance and mileage by backing off timing, but in the end the lost fuel economy kills any cost savings between regular and premium fuels.

Even the LS1 requires premium. The Indmar LS1 in my Malibu states it requires 93 in the owner's manual (though the sticker on the coolant resivoir states 92 octane).
Hold on a second there you very confused cowboy!

We're not talking about Corvettes, or the tupperware pilots who try to drive them while maintaining their combovers and bad plug jobs. This is a discussion about marine engines.

What's being discussed is the PCM ZR6 (sorry for the confusion) that indeed is 375 hp and only "requires" 89 octane fuel.

I feel dirty even discussing those craptastic Vette engines and I need to go shower now and say ten hail marys at the alter of the flat six to cleanse my soul.

Last edited by Cipher; 07-28-2011 at 8:25 PM. Reason: vomietd when I imagiend driving another shiatastic Vette.
Old     (Cipher)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-28-2011, 8:27 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveflat View Post
My buddy has the 2-speed tranny in his B-52. Everytime he switches to the higher gear when he's pulling someone it sounds like we should see the tranny tumbling out the transom in the wake. I always cringe when he shifts it.
Your buddy needs to learn how to properly drive his boat.

A quick de-throttle between shifts is what is needed. If done right, folks in the boat will have no idea you have two speed.
Old     (wakintime)      Join Date: Jul 2011       07-28-2011, 8:30 PM Reply   
Hey Cipher
Dude, you seem to only post when you can try to put someone or something down. Damn you really need to chill.
Old     (Cipher)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-28-2011, 8:35 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakintime View Post
Hey Cipher
Dude, you seem to only post when you can try to put someone or something down. Damn you really need to chill.
??????????????

You need to have someone explain how to use the search function.(hint: click on that thing on the top right that reads "search", enter "cipher" and then realize that you're really confused)

I'm plenty chill bro (did that translate well for you?) and your post is way off base.

Damn dude.

Last edited by Cipher; 07-28-2011 at 8:36 PM. Reason: laughing too much
Old     (Fiveflat)      Join Date: Sep 2010       07-28-2011, 9:48 PM Reply   
There was a bit of arrogance in your response to me, but I don't give a fugg... It's not my boat or my driving and I don't have a 2-speed tranny. I'm going to mention your suggestion to him though. Thanks.
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-29-2011, 4:20 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
Hold on a second there you very confused cowboy!

We're not talking about Corvettes, or the tupperware pilots who try to drive them while maintaining their combovers and bad plug jobs. This is a discussion about marine engines.

What's being discussed is the PCM ZR6 (sorry for the confusion) that indeed is 375 hp and only "requires" 89 octane fuel.

I feel dirty even discussing those craptastic Vette engines and I need to go shower now and say ten hail marys at the alter of the flat six to cleanse my soul.
Then why were you refering to a Z06? There was no mention of a ZR6 in this thread until you posted it in here, then tell me I'm the confused one.

You obviously must be an idiot if you are trying to refer to the Vette engine as "craptastic." What do you think the ZR6 and any of the high-output wakeboard engines are based on? Oh, the LSx platform - the same motor platform in all C5 and C6 Vettes. Then you want to refer to it as "Tupperware" while talking about boats that are also fiberglass (Corvettes are now Sheet Molded Compound that include - gasp - fiberglass, though now some of the body panels are carbon fibre). But good job trying to make fun of the best bang for the buck sports car made.

As for their drivers...they come in all ages. Hell, a member of my local racing message board is in his late 30's/early 40's and happens to own the fastest IRS Vette in the world - running upper 7's in the 180's in a street car. I know guys in their 20's with Vette's too. But thanks for being ignorant.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-29-2011, 6:54 AM Reply   
all bickering aside... cipher is right about the way to eliminate the hard thud when shifting. It will take some getting used to but if you pull the throttle back and shift then throttle up quickly, it is barely noticeable.
Old     (Cipher)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-29-2011, 11:27 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrousbird View Post
Then why were you refering to a Z06? There was no mention of a ZR6 in this thread until you posted it in here, then tell me I'm the confused one.
The ZR409, mentioned in the post that I was responding to, is the successor to the ZR6. Hence my reply regarding fuel recommendations.

Re: your ongoing motorhead rant:

You've apparently missed an important detail about my vette post. I thought trotting out all of those stereotypes was a dead giveaway, but I was wrong.
Old     (matt75)      Join Date: Nov 2010       07-31-2011, 10:05 PM Reply   
Thanks for your generalized view on vette owners cipher. Enjoy your civic or whatever pos car you drive. The ls series are very capable/solid engines. I've got 572RWHP out of my 'pushrod' ls6. Moron.
Old     (Cipher)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-31-2011, 10:32 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt75 View Post
Thanks for your generalized view on vette owners cipher. Enjoy your civic or whatever pos car you drive. The ls series are very capable/solid engines. I've got 572RWHP out of my 'pushrod' ls6. Moron.
I think you must have some kind of trouble with navigating internet forums. That's the only logical explanation for your idiotic post.

Here's the link from my previous post, once again, since you're apparently really, really, challenged.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tongue-in-cheek

Yes, I must drive a "civic or whatever pos car" since I upset a dimwit like you...
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-02-2011, 8:44 AM Reply   
Wow... Corvette owners are sensitive!

I, for one, thought Cipher's post was hillarious.
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-02-2011, 9:15 AM Reply   
Wow, vette owners have their panties in a wad worse then the river rat guys (scream&fly website).
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-02-2011, 9:35 AM Reply   
I own a Corvette and I thought the post was hilarious! It's pretty accurate for the bulk of Corvette owners. Personally, I bought mine when I was 25 to race and have fun with whereas the stereotypical driver doesn't have a clue how to do anything other than put the top down and act like they are cool. LOL!
Old     (sandm01)      Join Date: May 2010       08-02-2011, 2:59 PM Reply   
this thread cracks me up

my uncle(66 y.o.) bought an 08 vette after his son(37 y.o.) bought one. son sold it after 9 months of getting asked when his midlife was starting.
best trackday at the quartermile ever for me in my '06 evo9 was the day I raced a 60 y.o guy that owned an '06 vette. he was posting mid12's and I was mid11's all day. we chatted it up in the staging lane, and once he lost several, stopped talking.. it was great. $27988 for the evo otd and 4k in mods against a new vette? guessing who had the better bang for the buck car... and believing he would have been destroyed at any autox track as well..

now listen to both at idle, and it was a no contest win there. no ricerocket will ever sound as good as an old fashioned american v8 rumble....mmmmmmm