Clifford & Balzer Claim Monster Energy Wakestock 2012 Titles
Monster Energy Wakestock's final day featured a stacked field of over 30 of the planet's best wakeboarders and wakeskaters including several past Wakestock Champions and several young, up-and-coming talents battling it out for a combined $25,000 prize purse, WWA World Series points and the coveted Wakestock titles.
Every rider was excited to take advantage of the game changing wakes of the new G23 Super Air Nautique, including a shot at a special $5,000 Nautique award for landing a never-been-landed trick off the wake in a competition. Monster Energy and Wakestock had stepped it up with a custom coloured Nautique G23 complete with special Monster graphics inside and out to create one of the sickest looking boats ever.
The day started with 16 of the top wakeboarders in the world battling it out in a 4 heat/4-man quarterfinal round, including defending champion Harley Clifford and past Wakestock champion Phil Soven. The field also included wakeboard heavy hitters JD Webb, Shane Bonifay, Jimmy Lariche, Dean Smith, Andrew Adkison and Daniel Powers. Canadians also riding on Sunday included past Wakestock champ Aaron Rathy, Olivier Derome, Kyle Rattray, Jess Polley, Christian Primrose, Robbie McMillin and Chris Sinkic.
With challenging conditions, Clifford was second off the dock in the 8-man final and threw down a run that included his signature Front Mobe 5, Nose Grab Crow Mobe 5, Toe 9 and Heel 7. Despite their best efforts, neither Aaron Rathy or Phil Soven could match Clifford’s run, allowing the Australian to continue his hot streak this year and defend his Wakestock title.
"I’m super pumped on defending my title at Wakestock,” said Clifford. “It was such an awesome weekend: this is event is always awesome, the partying was sick, the girls were awesome, and the crowd was awesome, so it was good times."
Aaron Rathy continued his stellar performance record at Wakestock, adding another podium finish giving him the most Wakestock trophies in the history of the event.
“Doing the eight man final was pretty cool,” said Rathy. “There were a lot of young guys in there. Christian Primrose really rode well this weekend; it was cool to see him in the finals. He was the first one out and threw down with two stand up runs. Everyone rode well. The conditions weren't great, but the wake behind the Nautique G23 was really good. And the rails are always fun. It was a good contest. Harley went out with a bad seeding which is kind of rare. So he was 4th to last off the dock. But he killed it and set the bar and the rest of us just chased it.”
The Monster Energy Wakestock Pro Men’s Wakeskate presented by Nautique Boats and Rip Curl saw familiar faces in the final with the defending champ Brian Grubb and Canada’s own James Balzer. Everyone threw down solid runs and it was Balzer coming out on top to claim his first ever pro title. Grubb and 14-year old Austin Polterock placed 2nd and 3rd respectively.
“It’s finally good to win a big contest and even better that it's Wakestock,” said Balzer. “It was a crazy weekend riding in rough water but it's still a contest out there. We pulled it together for the Finals getting some good riding in. It's always a battle out there and it's just sick to win."
See full pro wakeboard and wakeskate results below.
Fifteen years in the making, Monster Energy Wakestock is the world's largest annual wakeboarding featuring not only WWA World Series wakeboarding and wakeskating but the Nautique Wakestock Amateur Championships and Rip Curl Grom Search making it Canada's largest amateur wake event. It's also one of the biggest music festivals in action sports featuring nightly parties, bikini contests, and Canada largest action sports outdoor marketplace.
Over 20 bands performed live on the Monster Energy Wakestock Music Stage and Skatepark Stage highlighted by incredible performances from Yelawolf, AWOLNATION, Monster Truck, and Classified.
Monster Energy Wakestock is presented by Nautique Boats in conjunction with Pride Marine Group, Rip Curl, Coors Light, Go Pro, Microsoft, Vex, SBC Wakeboard Magazine, Hyperlite, Ronix, Slingshot, CWB, O'Brien, Zeal, and Spy. More info at wakestock.com.
Monster Energy Wakestock WWA Wakeboard World Series
Pro Men Wakeboard
Presented by Nautique and Rip Curl
Pro Men Wakeboard Final
1. Harley Clifford (AUS) - 93.33 - Monster Energy, Liquid Force, Oakley, Body Glove, Mastercraft
2. Aaron Rathy (CAN) - 88.33 - Rockstar, Oakley, Byerly, MB
3. Phil Soven (USA) - 86.00 - Liquid Force, Malibu, Arma
4. Dean Smith (AUS) - 83.33 - Rip Curl, Rockstar, Ronix, Axxis
5. Olivier Derome (CAN) - 68.33 - Rockstar, Slingshot, Malibu, Billabong, Oakley
6. Christian Primrose (CAN) - 66.67 - Rip Curl,
7. Shane Bonifay (USA) - 61.67 - Monster Energy, Liquid Force, Jet ilot, Mastercraft, Spy
8. Andrew Adkison (USA) - 53.33 - CWB, Mastercraft, Ten-80
Pro Men Wakeboard Semifinal (top two in each heat advance)
1. Harley Clifford (AUS) - 90.00 - Monster Energy, Liquid Force, Oakley, Body Glove, Mastercraft
2. Olivier Derome (CAN) - 76.67 - Rockstar, Slingshot, Malibu, Billabong, Oakley
3. Jimmy Lariche (USA) - 63.33 - Monster Energy, Nautique
4. Robbie McMillin (CAN) - 45.00 - Hyperlite, Billabong
1. Aaron Rathy (CAN) - 66.67 - Rockstar, Oakley, Byerly, MB
2. Christian Primrose (CAN) - 58.33 - Rip Curl, Dragon, Ronix
3. Kyle Rattray (CAN) - 45.00 - Nautique, Byerly, Rockstar, O'Neill, Anarchy
4. JD Webb (USA) - 43.33 - Nautique, Red Bull, Hyperite, Dragon
1. Andrew Adkison (USA) - 56.67 - CWB, Mastercraft, Ten-80
2. Shane Boinfay (USA) - 49.33 - Monster Energy, Liquid Force, Jet ilot, Mastercraft, Spy
3. Danny Thollander (USA) - 46.67 - Nautique, Hyperlite, Dunklebolk
4. Chris Sinkic (CAN) - 33.33
1. Phil Soven (USA) - 75.00 - Liquid Force, Malibu, Arma
2. Dean Smith (AUS) - 65.00 - Rip Curl, Rockstar, Ronix, Axxis
3. Jess Polley (CAN) - 60.00 - Dragon, Etnies
4. Daniel Powers (USA) - 51.67 - CWB, Mastercraft, Jet Pilot, Rockstar
Monster Energy Wakestock Pro Men Wakeskate
Presented by Nautique and Rip Curl
Pro Wakeskate Final
1. James Balzer (CAN) - 73.33 - Monster Energy, Liquid Force, Body Glove
2. Brian Grubb (USA) - 63.33 - Zeal, Hyperlite, Red Bull, Billabong, Malibu
3. Austin Polterock (USA) - 43.33
4. Dan Brown (CAN) - 33.33
Pro Wakeskate Semifinals (top two in each heat advance)
1. James Balzer (CAN) - 76.67 - Monster Energy, Liquid Force, Body Glove
2. Dan Brown (CAN) - 50.00
3. Dan Seguin (CAN) - 30.00
4. Brady Hicks (CAN) - 21.67
1. Brian Grubb (USA) - 80.00 - Zeal, Hyperlite, Red Bull, Billabong, Malibu
2. Austin Polterock (USA) - 53.33
3. Tommy Bailey (CAN) - 36.67
4. Aaron McKinney (CAN) - 18.33