I did work on it. I used a wire wheel and some other rust-removing, sponge-looking device on my drill to get rid of most of the rust. I ran out of time, so I put some primer on it and it's been sitting ever since.
It's pitted pretty bad in spots, so I'm probably going to use some Bondo on it to smooth things out and then just paint it with a spray can. Most of it is under the diamond plate, which I intend to put back on with lots of caulking, so it shouldn't look too bad.
No article since I don't really know what I'm doing. There are probably better ways to take care of this, but I'm sort of an idiot!