Articles

Pics/Video

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WAKE WORLD HOME
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 17, 2004

Old    Levi Cress (levi)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-06-2004, 11:57 PM Reply   
I'm thinking about having a cushion made for my open bow sport nautique. What would you guesstimate something like that would run me?
Old    phxwatersports            01-07-2004, 8:55 AM Reply   
I'm thinking about building one in my sport too. Let me know what you find out.
Old    Levi Cress (levi)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-07-2004, 9:03 AM Reply   
phxwatersports, what year is your sport? It looks really nice!
Old    whitechocolate            01-07-2004, 9:03 AM Reply   
Are you talking about the Cushion The would go between the 2 Bow cushions and make the Open bow a One peice look.?
Old    Levi Cress (levi)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-07-2004, 9:08 AM Reply   
Exactly! and I don't need it out of carbon fiber! :-)
Old    whitechocolate            01-07-2004, 11:22 AM Reply   
Ahhhh I see. No C/F, Ok I have a prety good Idea. I would think someone could or would make you one for around $150-$200, Im sure Someone will say you could find some one to do it for cheeper,
I take it they dont make a stock on for your boat or you would just go buy one!

You cant make your Own??? I would think somthing like this would be easy Even for a guy that his tool box is a credit card and Phone book
Old    andy zarlengo (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-07-2004, 12:14 PM Reply   
I made my own for my x-5. Plywood base sealed with epoxy, some vinyl from the fabric store and some foam. Made a template out of cardboard, transfered to a thick piece of plywood, cut out with jigsaw and then put on the foam and vinyl. Attached the vinyl with a staple gun. Voila, a playpen cushion for less then 50 bucks. plywood does not flex, is removeable for storage under. Looks pretty darn good for a home project, and the cost is what made me do it myself. A pro job was going to cost around 200 bucks.
Old    Levi Cress (levi)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-07-2004, 1:20 PM Reply   
Grant - Yeah..I figure that I could make it myself, but I've found on some stuff it is cheaper for the $$$ considering time to just buy it. But for $200 bucks I think I'd consider making it myself. I don't have the right tools to do it, but w/ the $$ i saved I could just go out and pick up a saw and all. I'm pretty handy w/ that kind of stuff as I worked for a sign company for 7 years.

PS. Do you ever do tours of that boat of yours? Your just up the 101 and I'd like to come by some time and check out the ol' bling bling.

Andrew - Thanks for the info. For $150 bucks I think it'd be worth an evening/afternoons work. Plus you can say.."hey, I made that!" :-) Questions - what kind of epoxy and how do you apply it? brush, roller, spray? and did you make your new cushion just fit the walkway area, or did you remove the other stock cushions and cover the entire area? I'd prefer just filling in the center part so the storage would be more accessible, but either way would work. Did you get the foam also from the fabric store? Thanks in advance for the info!
Old    Daniel Galloway (mississippireb)      Join Date: Aug 2003       01-07-2004, 1:43 PM Reply   
Andrew, what did you use to support the cushion to keep it from falling through to the floor?
Old    whitechocolate            01-07-2004, 1:57 PM Reply   
Levi yea you can come by and check it out Shoot me a e-mail and we can set somthing up.

I would do it the same way as Andrew did his for his X-5 Exactley (good discription) I think the Epoxy he is talking about is somthing like this.

Im sure he used it to cover /seal the plywood, from water. This is exactley how I would do it also. This is a brush on epoxy,Mix it and brush it out. If you cut the plywood peice before hand I can Epoxy it for you if you come by. That way you don't have to buy a Quart just to do your wood peice. And just donw the street at Redwood trading post the have Foam in all diffrent thicknesses depending on how high you need it.
I dont know if there is a Special Foam that you should use? The kind Im used to seeing for boats is a White colored foam, (I never see this kind at the shop's) The kind I see at the Trading post is the traditional Yellow stuff you see in cars, I would check on this. I know you can cut and shape the foam, and then buy some Vynl to cover it with and like Andrew said staple it to the back of your wood peice. You will need Stainless Steal staples, so they dont rust and discolor your vynl. I have some of thoes also If you need some.
Old    jwag (jwag)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-07-2004, 4:12 PM Reply   
Levi,

My sport came stock with a cushion. maybe you can order one direct from correct craft?
Old    Levi Cress (levi)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-07-2004, 6:04 PM Reply   
Grant - Man...thanks for the kind offers! I think I may take you up on that! Plus it's always good to have someone that has used that stuff to help out! I'll check into the foam....I know what you're talking about.

Jan w - What year was your sport?
Old    andy zarlengo (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-07-2004, 7:55 PM Reply   
Grant, used that same epoxy. Levi, I just filled in the walkway area and left the 2 seats on the bow as is. With the x-5, the bow had a natural step so to speak on the sides. It is actually where the hull steps down on the outside of the boat, but on the inside of the bow it forms a little shelf that the playpen cushion sits on. I got really lucky with that. You can get a jigsaw from Home Depot for about 20 bucks to use on the project. That is what I did, and it is always a good thing when you can buy extra power tools.!! I got the foam at the fabric store. It is about 4 inches thick and white. I got the thick foam so your butt does not bottom out on the plywood when going over rollers.! It was a fun project and I liked the price. The wood was 20 bucks and the vinyl and foam about 15 bucks total. 35 dollar deal cause I had the rest of the materials sitting around the garage. Give it a shot and if you find you can't do it, then you can take it in. Basically, if you can get the wood cut and fit good, the easy part is to do the vinyl work and foam. Buy the wood only and give it a shot. If you got the wood to fit, get the rest of the stuff and be proud of your home grown project.!
Old    phxwatersports            01-08-2004, 8:35 AM Reply   
Levi Cress (levi)
Thanks, my Sport is a 92 and I just moved from Burlingame. Too bad I didn't know you guys lived that close or I would have done the playpen thing before I moved.
Does anyone have any pics of the playpen thing?
c

(Message edited by PhxWatersports on January 08, 2004)
Old    jwag (jwag)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-08-2004, 9:55 AM Reply   
Levi, My sport is a 2000/2001 model.

Edit: I just realized you are in the bay area, if you want you could borrow the stock cushion I have to copy it?

(Message edited by jwag on January 08, 2004)
Old    Levi Cress (levi)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-08-2004, 10:16 AM Reply   
AZ - Yeah...we could have just did 2 and I'm pretty sure our bows are the same. Here is a pic of what we're talking about. It's just the white cushion that covers the walking area of the open bow.

Playpen Cushion

Jan - Yeah..your also just down the road! Thanks for the offer, but I do not think our bow setups would be the same? I do not have a little ledge for the new cushion to rest on, so I'm going to have to put little support bars out to go under the stock cushions so it will have something to rest on.
Old    jwag (jwag)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-08-2004, 10:34 AM Reply   
They are definately different, mine has a ledge that the cushion rests on. I can trade you boats; how's that?
Old    Levi Cress (levi)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-08-2004, 11:04 AM Reply   
Jan - Let's see....I trade you my '90 for your '00/01? I think it's a deal. :-)

(Message edited by levi on January 08, 2004)
Old    phxwatersports            01-08-2004, 12:41 PM Reply   
can you email the pic to me at azmotorsports@yahoo.com? The pic is too small and I have a small ledge next to custions, I might have to put support too. Anything underneath to support???
I also have 2 captains instead of the small bench and driver captain's chair... has anyone changed this to the bench instead??? I was thinking of doing this soon.
Old    Levi Cress (levi)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-08-2004, 1:35 PM Reply   
AZ - That pic is just off the www.correctcraft.com website. I think that was from the their 211 model.

If you have a ledge then you're lucky. I don't think mine has one. You shouldn't need any additional support as the gap is quite small considering the strength of the plywood.

I'm in the same boat (pun intended) w/ you w/ the x2 captains chairs. I posted out last year to see if anyone has made the conversion and no one had. I also want to make the conversion, and I think the best way would be to find a seat out of a ski nautique of the same year and see if you could modify it and recover it w/ new vinyl. You could build a new one from ground up too..which may be the best way if you had to spend very much $$ on a seat to begin with. I just hate how much storage space you loose w/ the 2 captains chairs..plus I'd like to drop a sub in there.......
Old    phxwatersports            01-08-2004, 2:43 PM Reply   
That's exactly what I was planning on doing. My storage space sucks and I hate that second captain chair. What year is your's?
Old    Levi Cress (levi)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-08-2004, 2:48 PM Reply   
Old    phxwatersports            01-08-2004, 2:51 PM Reply   
any pics?
Old    Levi Cress (levi)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-08-2004, 3:07 PM Reply   
yup,

Old    phxwatersports            01-08-2004, 3:45 PM Reply   
Very nice, looks just like mine. How do you weight yours?
Old    Levi Cress (levi)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-08-2004, 4:35 PM Reply   
thanks! I've been running a 600 lbs. sack on each side of the engine. I also have a locker sack, but have never filled it. I think it is hard enuf w/ the 2 sacs for others to drive it w/o a lot of water coming over the back. Man... CC sure knew how to design the perfect transom for bringing the water over the back on these. But..they never dreamed that we'd load them up like this........

How do you weight yours? W/ a playpen style, you could put a sack under the cushion in the bow really easy.

I've wanted to play w/ the weight some more though...one sac across the back and one in the bow.....but I've only ran it load a few times..so we'll see what works best.
Old    phxwatersports            01-08-2004, 9:01 PM Reply   
I've ran a 600 on top of the locker and one in the back and the wake was awesome. Sometimes it gets washy on one side, but we shift riders to get it perfect. Do you have the fiberglass swim deck that's molded in and not removable? That's what I have and a CC rep said they stopped making them becasue the water would come right in when stopped quickly.
c
Old    HeHateMe (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-09-2004, 3:16 PM Reply   
this is what i have designed... measure out your bow cushion area... cut it out of plywood and coat it with resin. then take to upholstery shop to get covered... shouldnt be anymore than $50...

also, cover the bow walk-thru area withtin foil and lay a coat of fibreglass... then remove... you have now created a tub for the bow cushion to sit on.... cut two holes in the bottom of the tub and install pumps... also built the tub up with fibreglass to creat a very strong waterproof tub... now you will have an extra ballast tank for up front... if you want to get really creative... make the tub so it can slie toward the back of the boat... then you can put another cushion on the back end of it... and it will act as a jump seat between the driver and observer... just some ideas... dont know if anyone is interested.. or cares.. but just something to think about.
Old    Levi Cress (levi)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-09-2004, 4:46 PM Reply   
AZ - Yeah...I have the molded in swim step. It is really nice because it is super sturdy, but the negatives outweigh the positives for that design I think.

Kyle - Thanks for the info. That's quite an idea for the bow ballast.
Old    Chaun Keating (big_poppa_pump)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-09-2004, 10:06 PM Reply   
Plywood $17.00
Vinyl $12.00

Being able to hide a ballast bag and snooze in a roomy open bow....priceless.

open_box

pen

I followed pretty much the same process as Andrew did. Make a cardboard template and cut the shape out with a jigsaw from 3/4 inch plywood.

AZ, if you are looking for vinyl in the Phoenix area check out Phoenix Trim & Supply Co. The had about 50 different shaded and textures of white marine vinyl alone...so it was easy to match up what I had in my boat.
Old    phxwatersports            01-09-2004, 11:06 PM Reply   
thanks for the ideas guys. Have fun out there.
c