Wake 101
Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeskating

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       12-16-2003, 10:10 PM Reply   
A few guys have landed a varial flip, including Greg Van Wagnen who got it on video:

that's one of the cool things about wakeskating right now, it's progressing very quickly with kids landing new tricks and pushing the sport.
Old    warlock00            12-18-2003, 8:33 AM Reply   
that is kickass!
Old    mygreenmonster            01-09-2004, 1:54 PM Reply   
Isn't that a 180 pop shove it to kick flip combo? A varial is when the person does a 180 and the board remains in the same position. A pop shove it 180 is when the board does a 180 but the rider remains in the same position.

Anyway, that is a very impressive trick.
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       01-09-2004, 2:48 PM Reply   
You got it byron.

(Message edited by electricsnow on January 09, 2004)
Old    gvw686            01-10-2004, 9:25 AM Reply   
bryon, that was me riding and its a varial flip. im not really sure why they call it that becuase your right on the difference between a varial and a shovit but it is called a varial flip.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-10-2004, 9:36 AM Reply   
I thought (though I could be wrong):
Varial= Board spins
Body Varial= Body spins
Old     (cmawsr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-10-2004, 1:00 PM Reply   
Kristian, that is correct.
A varial flip is a 180 kick flip

Old    mygreenmonster            01-10-2004, 8:00 PM Reply   
I come from a skate boarding background. When the skateboard does a 180 and the rider doesn't, it is a pop shove-it. Maybe terminology is different with a wake skate. Oh well, at least we all agree it is a cool trick.
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       01-11-2004, 5:03 PM Reply   
mygreenmonster, I was sort of thinking the same thing. But the term "varial flip" comes from skateboarding. Also, there are "board varials" in vert skating where you just use your hand to spin the board 180 degrees (ex: while doing an invert). It's weird to me that it's both a pop shoveit and a board varial--it's like there are two names for that trick.

Russian-make sure to mention that the board is the only thing that does the spinning, otherwise it would be a frontside or backside flip.
Old    mygreenmonster            01-11-2004, 5:58 PM Reply   
Thanks for the clarification. Every day there is something to learn. Now, time to learn an indy backroll on a wakeskate.
Old     (cmawsr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-14-2004, 4:51 PM Reply   
electricsnow, good catch, I didn't notice that when typed it.

Varial flip is the board doing a 180 kick flip



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 2:16 AM.

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
Wake World Home


© 2016 eWake, Inc.    
Advertise    |    Contact    |    Terms of Use    |    Privacy Policy    |    Report Abuse    |    Conduct    |    About Us