Articles

Pics/Video

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WAKE WORLD HOME
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through December 14, 2003

Old    havasubu (socaldave)      Join Date: May 2002       10-13-2003, 2:06 PM Reply   
I know Havasu does not have a rep as a great wakeboard destination, but we caught it the first weekend of October and had amazing conditions. Temp in the mid 90's. Water temp still in the mid-80's I would guess. From Sunday-Tuesday, we shared the south end of the lake with very few boats, no wind and glass like I have not seen out there before.

A couple of quick pics:

My daughter Lauren is 7...this was her second time out on the new wakeboard. She was amazing us all...I had to stop the boat so someone else could go after she rode for 10 minutes without falling.
Lauren

My 4-year old daughter Sarah is master of the ski-skimmer...waving to all her fans is her best trick.
Sarah

The old man here can always use some pointers. I seem to be in a rut.
Old Man

Sorry for the long post. We were all stoked with a great long weekend. Definitely the time of year to go out there.

Old    Jonathan French (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       10-13-2003, 2:22 PM Reply   
Those are great pictures of the kids, I plan on getting my daughter up next weekend I hope. She is six and has been asking to take part. Great job!!!

On a pointer for yourself, I am know pro, but what is your boat speed? If I were to guess by the shape of your wake, I would say it is around 15 MPH with a very short rope. If so that might be your problem.
Old    havasubu (socaldave)      Join Date: May 2002       10-13-2003, 2:31 PM Reply   
Johnathan, we bought the board for my daughter and newphew who turned 6 in September...they both were doing deep water starts after the second day. Kids are amazing.

Boat speed for me is probably 19-20mph. Rope length is 60' I think. I actually thought about going longer this last trip out and tried with slightly faster speed as well...conditions usually aren't the best out there, so the hardest part is getting consistent wake conditions. Thanks for the comments.
Old    Small Light (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       10-14-2003, 8:40 AM Reply   
Hey Dmac, it's good to see another Havasu brother. My family have been going out there since i was your kids' age. I'm sure it's hard with the kids, but you need to get up a little earlier for some water. We usually hit it early, like 5:15am in the summer and push it back as winter comes along. I swear I've seen your boat out there, where do you guys stay? Take care.
Old    havasubu (socaldave)      Join Date: May 2002       10-14-2003, 9:27 AM Reply   
Stephen, we have a place at Havasu Springs by Parker Dam. We've been going to Havasu for about 30 years now. We do get up early some days to board, but the days are usually all about the kids...although they are now really getting into it. Weekdays are definitely the time to be out there. Where do you usually stay?
Old    TeamValdez (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       10-14-2003, 2:48 PM Reply   
Hi all, aahhh, the memories of Havasu Landing!!(and the beautiful Nautical Inn) There was a great article in Alliance last month (I think it was last month) all about Havasu with and interview with Brian Francis. Check it out, it invites any and all who want to hang out with other wakeboarders. HTH!