Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old                09-07-2003, 6:28 PM Reply   
I was trying some HS FS 180's today. Can't quite dial in the landings. I'm casing the wake when I land, but it's switch. Any tips on improving landing switch. I can't jump w2w on my switch TS jumps either. Any advice in appreciated.
Old                09-07-2003, 9:57 PM Reply   
I found the easiest way to be able to get consistent with your heelside 180s is to take a set switch and then come back to it and it will feel more natural and then while it is working do them one after another and try to do halfcabs back across if you can
Old                09-08-2003, 10:10 AM Reply   
I think I'll wait on the halfcab, cause I don't have a tower yet. I think I do need to get i little better going switch. Thanks for the advice.
Old     (rootc)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-08-2003, 1:25 PM Reply   
Don't case the wake... Either shorten the rope or go bigger. Make sure you land on your toes or land flat. Do not land on your heels! To get used to landing switch try starting inside the wake and do a one wake 180. It is super easy and develops the needed skills.
Old                09-08-2003, 4:24 PM Reply   
What do you mean by one wake 180?
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       09-08-2003, 5:21 PM Reply   
A one wake 180, meaning don't clear both wakes. Just come in and do a small jump and land between the wakes.

The biggest problem that I've seen is that people don't commit. They don't get the handle to their back hip and so they basically spin about 100 degree or less and then slide out on their butt. You need to wait until you pop and then turn, make sure you turn your hips and shoulders and then focus landing on your toes edging away from the boat.
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-08-2003, 8:26 PM Reply   
actually what root means by a one-wake 180 is inside out. start inside the wake and jump the backside of the wake going out. do your 180 there. it's much easier to land because you're not coming down hard from a w2w jump. and everything else is the same (edging, moving the handle to the side, etc.), so you learn the skills but in an easier setting.

another tip i learned that helped is this: as you land, point the handle at the water - like you're putting the handle in your pocket. this rotates your shoulder forward and helps you keep your weight in the right place.

and as root also said - nothing wrong with shortening the rope to make the transition from wake to wake easier when learning a trick.

but of course, the biggest problem i see with folks trying 180s is that they can't ride switch very well. you really need to be comfortable riding switch, and even doing switch ollie jumps. this shows that you can control the board both in and off the water while riding switch. if you can't do that, you'll never be more than marginally successful in landing the 180s, especially w2w.

switch ts...
when coming in switch ts, try making sure you pull your back hand in closer to your body - keeps the handle in closer. and think about bending your back leg more. your body is built differently on one side than the other so you have to compensate. bending your back leg helps keep your weight in the right place.

other than that - having worked a lot lately on my ts switch jumps, it's mostly about commitment. once you feel like your cut is there, it's just about making the commitment to taking a large enough jump to clear the wakes. again, if you're casing the wake - shorten up the rope until you're comfortable with the edging, approach, standing tall at the wake, landing, etc., and then move back out.

(Message edited by deepstructure on September 08, 2003)
Old                09-08-2003, 9:03 PM Reply   
I did notice when I landed, my arm was straight out, and the rope would just pop out of my hand, but I could ride away fine. But that ain't no good if ya don't have the rope. What king of exercises can I do to build up my shoulders in the off season. That's what I plan to do this winter.

Thanks for all the great advice, I didn't really think it would get this kind of response.
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       09-08-2003, 10:35 PM Reply   
well it sounds like you just described your problem. You need to keep the rope close to your hip during the jump otherwise it will get pulled out of your hand, just as you described. And the fix isn't getting stronger, it's proper technique. Nothing wrong with building up your shoulders of course....
Old                09-14-2003, 4:58 PM Reply   
kyle, i dont have a tower either and i dont know why u say-

"I think I'll wait on the halfcab, cause I don't have a tower yet"

have u even tried a halfcab yet? i find them much easier then regular 180s cuz you are landing in your more comfortamble position, and when u jump switch, naturally your more natural foot will want to come forawrd!
Old                09-24-2003, 1:09 PM Reply   
simple, stand tall, keep your @SS in that will keep you from landing on your heels....the @SS is what gets peeps everytime
Old     (tantrum999)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-26-2003, 2:23 PM Reply   
I am sitting back looking at all the good advice, yes its all text book but and i mean but most people who try HEELSIDE 180's dont really commit to the full 180 or come in with far,far too much speed. As christopher says, put the handle in your back pocket but most important is rotate fully, dont GAZE where your going to land but concentrate on pointing the board tip towards the shore.
Old                09-28-2003, 6:37 AM Reply   
Appreciate the advice. Don't think I'm going to be able to try anymore this year. Probably try again in April @ the boarding school.

Time to start mountian biking again.
Old                09-28-2003, 6:16 PM Reply   
i thought you were gonna build up your shoulders not your legs

(Message edited by rdierolf on September 28, 2003)
Old                09-29-2003, 6:59 AM Reply   
A lot of effort seems to be going into turning the board. The handle does all the work. Pull the handle to your rear hip once you've made your pop and the board will come around naturally.
You can then focus on spotting your landing