Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003       11-18-2020, 12:23 PM Reply   
Hi all, I've picked up a second hand sesitec system 2.0 and I'm slowly building a cable park. Sesitec have been very slow to reply to my emails and I figured surely we'd have some people in the brains trust here on Wakeworld who might be able to help! Just looking to find out how I should service the motor, particularly gear oils and motor oils, and would gladly love any other advice you can give. It was all working when I packed it down but it all looked like it needed some TLC before I put it up,

I've excavated the lake and hope to dig/pour the anchors in the next week or 2. If anyone is interested I'm documenting the build (I'm not a very handy person so I'll be as descriptive as possible).

Thanks for your help in advance!
Old     (paulharenberg)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-19-2020, 5:17 AM Reply   
I can't help on the Sesitec information, but I am definitely subscribing to your build.

As a civil engineer and a wakeboarder I've envisioned cable parks on all sorts of plots of land I've driven by, but based on the back of the napkin cost estimate couldn't justify one for myself and the cost of land in the Northeast.

I'm interested in following your build and wish you luck.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       11-21-2020, 9:29 AM Reply   
Looking forward to hearing more about it.
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003       11-22-2020, 9:20 AM Reply   
Cheers, I'm about to start long service leave so I'll post my progress here this week!
Old     (theloungelife)      Join Date: Jun 2012 Location: Salt Lake City, UT       Yesterday, 3:15 AM Reply   
Following as well. Are you going to build your own features or source them?
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003       Yesterday, 4:33 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by theloungelife View Post
Following as well. Are you going to build your own features or source them?
Both, plus I am going to rebuild some of the old features that were at the park I bought - the kickers are pretty stuffed.
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003       Yesterday, 5:14 PM Reply   
So starting from the beginning - I had a swamp in the middle of my farm and the farmer that was leasing my land asked if he could dig a long recycling pond ( we couldn't call it a dam or a lake - council regulations) so he could use more of the land. I said twist my arm knowing full well the potential of such a body of water. The surrounding areas drain into it and the whole area floods if we get more than 100mm of rain. The pond is definitely long enough, but was really only wide enough for winching (~15-20m wide) and it pretty much sat there for 10 years. He only pumped out of it once in that time.
Attached Images

Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003       Yesterday, 5:18 PM Reply   
The second image shows my plans and the estimated final tower positions - unfortunately it was dug too close to the existing track so I have to run the cable over it (system would fit but anchors would not). I thought long and hard about this but decided that if it was too much I can fill some of the lake in and move it forward down the track.
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003       Yesterday, 5:31 PM Reply   
There's a long story behind the purchase of the park (I'll probably tell it sometime if anyone is interested) however after 11 years of working towards a house everything went ahead, and we were able to scrounge together enough to buy it. I immediately started draining the lake so it could be excavated. This poor little 6.5hp pump managed to drain the lake 1.5m (I ran it twice a day, sometimes more) over 4 months. I should mention at this stage, budget is very tight. I'm a teacher and sole income earner.
I also had to excavate some of the gutters on my property to help the water get away as the gutters weren't surveyed or leveled when put in.
Attached Images

Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003       Yesterday, 5:37 PM Reply   
Being an old cane farm and not really knowing who had worked it and what chemicals were used over that time, I decided to do a large set of water and soil testing for chemicals, metals, pesticides, herbicides - the works. Water quality is really important and although we'd swum in it previously, it had a lot of suspended clay making it look milky and I wanted to make sure. Over $400 worth of tests and everything came back with excellent results. The water quality is excellent. I will also be buying an electric pump to oxygenate the water (water fountain feature?)
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003       Yesterday, 5:55 PM Reply   
Last one for today - after draining the lake I got it excavated. To save money, the last cut dumped dirt next to the lake. I'm still not sure about this - it did save big $$$, and will reduce wind but may get in the way a little. Time will tell, I've already cut 2 big holes in it on the natural water paths so I don't end up with a swamp either side of the walls. Thank goodness for 4 in 1 buckets on tractors.

I love air tricks. As the system is 6m tall and I have to go across a road, i thought I'd build some pads to put the towers on to give me a little extra height . They are currently 1.5m tall, but I'm guessing they will compact over time (yes, 20t excavator compacted them as much as it could but gravity and water will still make a difference). This also will keep the system high and dry as the whole area is covered in a couple inches of water after heavy rain.
Attached Images

Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003       Yesterday, 6:01 PM Reply   
From the same spot as the pump earlier.
Attached Images

Old     (Andy_Mora)      Join Date: Oct 2012       Today, 1:46 AM Reply   
Thanks for posting all this! I really want to keep hearing more about this whole process.
BTW I'm a teacher too and probably like many on here, have always dreamed of having my own park. So it's pretty cool to see you doing this. I can live my dream vicariously through you haha.
Old     (Andy_Mora)      Join Date: Oct 2012       Today, 1:58 AM Reply   
I always mess around with SketchUp designing my dream parks. Here's one that's kind of "realistic" but probably still out of your budget especially with the bi level pool. Just thought I'd share anyway. If you can make this set up, I will be even more envious than I already am!
Attached Images

Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003       Today, 8:14 AM Reply   
That's amazing Andy! Maybe I should move the track and make that section the upper level ...Probably WAY in the future. There's some awesome obstacles there.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       Today, 10:53 AM Reply   
OMG this is cool! PLEASE keep up the progress posting!!!