Articles
   
       
Pics/Video
       
Wake 101
   
       
       
Shop
Search
 
 
 
 
 
Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Share 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-12-2019, 12:57 AM Reply   
Finally finished the polar bear review, its been a challenging winter!

Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-12-2019, 8:14 AM Reply   
No Malibu?! Or did I miss it?
Old     (Shakarocks)      Join Date: Mar 2013       03-12-2019, 8:14 AM Reply   
I love the annual Polar Bear vids. Last year's influenced me to get an Fi23 which I just ordered. Most of the boats in the vid lit my fire. The big surprise was the wake on that Heyday. Not my favorite looking boat but a nice for those who can't shell out six figures.
Old     (Matt0520)      Join Date: Feb 2019       03-12-2019, 8:19 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakarocks View Post
I love the annual Polar Bear vids. Last year's influenced me to get an Fi23 which I just ordered. Most of the boats in the vid lit my fire. The big surprise was the wake on that Heyday. Not my favorite looking boat but a nice for those who can't shell out six figures.

I was leaning the opposite, for $60k+ why buy something that looks like a floating toaster? And you still have to use a suckgate?

I can see the value proposition if that was under $50k.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-12-2019, 8:27 AM Reply   
So on the heyday, they have options for surf systems, as I have been told, but I don't know the prices, etc.

As always, malibu was invited. I think they like to have tighter control, as do a few other manufacturers of how a review will go. You have to give credit to the manufacturers that show up because I NEVER show them anything before I publish.

Sorry it was so late, almost didn't happen at all with the Camp Fire. Our community was destroyed.
Old     (Matt0520)      Join Date: Feb 2019       03-12-2019, 8:28 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubanks01 View Post
No Malibu?! Or did I miss it?

Their in-depth, unbiased comparison was already released a few weeks ago lol
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-12-2019, 8:29 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt0520 View Post
Their in-depth, unbiased comparison was already released a few weeks ago lol
;-)
Old     (Matt0520)      Join Date: Feb 2019       03-12-2019, 8:30 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragboy View Post
Sorry it was so late, almost didn't happen at all with the Camp Fire. Our community was destroyed.

Glad you guys have made it through, canít imagine what that mustíve been like.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-12-2019, 8:37 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt0520 View Post
Glad you guys have made it through, canít imagine what that mustíve been like.
Thank you.
Old     (tre)      Join Date: Jul 2002 Location: WI       03-12-2019, 10:32 AM Reply   
Can't wait to watch the video. Was your house spared? I know it was touch and go for you guys for a while.
Old     (haveboatwilltravel)      Join Date: Feb 2019       03-12-2019, 10:52 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubanks01 View Post
No Malibu?! Or did I miss it?
they were skeered, I guess the truth wasn't on the water that day. Ooof!
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-12-2019, 11:44 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by haveboatwilltravel View Post
they were skeered, I guess the truth wasn't on the water that day. Ooof!
Skeered?
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-12-2019, 1:05 PM Reply   
^ scared
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-12-2019, 1:28 PM Reply   
haha, ok. Didn't have my redneck hat on. ;-)
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       03-12-2019, 3:09 PM Reply   
Ragboy- I’m kinda curious..... you state that a lot of what MC offers doesn’t surf well (Or as well as the X23). Yet the X23 has been the oldest design in the MC lineup for a few years now, and is VERY easily eclipsed in surf performance by every single new X series model. It doesn’t even hold a candle to the X22, X24, or XStar in surf performance.

That is the equivalent of bringing a Supra SG (Released the same year, and also discontinued) out to a surf event in 2019, and saying “the SG had a really nice wave, but be careful, not every Supra surfs this good”

Maybe it is just your Supra love. Every boat in your review had a “nice boat, but.....” except the SL. So that makes sense

Either way. I enjoyed the video. I think it’s great that you put on events like this, and spend time to make these videos. It’s great for the Wakesurf community.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-12-2019, 5:25 PM Reply   
@fixable I have been at several events, where MCs are there, and they don't do so well. And then certain models, like the X23, is great. I heard the new one X22? Is very good as well. I have been on a XStar, and I wasn't too impressed with the surf wave. I only said that so that people don't think that all MCs are as good as that, because that wave was very good.

Every Centurion RI or FI surfs well from the last few years, the Gs all surf good, and then on Supra, I have been on 2 models of SE, the SL, the SA, the Max, Makai, and Craz, and they have all surfed well. Oh, and a mojo.

All of that is SOOOO subjective, and I wasn't trying to throw shade on MC.
Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       03-12-2019, 5:38 PM Reply   
I think we should use a little perspective when we examine the merits of the video. I think this event is really mostly for the attendees. Itís a chance to get behind several boats in a short period of time and try out several different boards. Itís really not about the video that comes out of it and what the audience out in the greater community thinks of the video. In fact, the event would be just the same without the video. The fact that Robert takes the time to compile a little bit of information about the event in the video speaks a lot to how much he cares about wake surfing in general. But really? The event is over. The activities related to the event could very well be over at that point too.

I think the invitation to put a boat into the event is wide open. If you contacted Robert and wanted to bring your X24 to the event? Iím sure you would be welcomed with open arms.

But really the whole thing is at the mercy of those who choose to bring boats and then from there those who set up the boats that are brought. Certainly some chicken is left on the bone when it comes to this. Set up is everything, regardless of the boat. And some boats obviously are set up for success better than others. Itís not a boat competition. But lots of people try to make it into that.

I personally think itís incredible video, pleasant commentary, and does much inside my brain to increase my love of the sport that I cannot do right now because of winter. Couple that with the fact that the entire area burned to a crisp, itís pretty commendable that there even is a video at all.

Personally? I have a ridden both a new X 24 and a 2018 X 23. To my layman eyes, the results were very similar. Both boats ran a little bit of extra lead, and both boats performed very well. As far as the X 23 not holding a candle to the X 24? I didnít see that. I did however see a much nicer boat with much more free board which made an overall user experience better. But the ultimate wave quality was excellent on both boats. I donít think that X 23 did any bit of a disservice to the Mastercraft name at the event. Theyíre no slouch when done right.

Anyway, thank you for the video Robert. I would love to come out and visit you sometime. I have watched hours and hours and hours of your familyís videos over the years.

Good on you mate.
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       03-12-2019, 5:54 PM Reply   
Having personally owned an X30, X23, 3 G’s, an SE, 18 XStar, and an X24..... I definitely have a different view.

I’d have to assume the XStar you rode was a 17 or older, which would make sense. The new star is the whole reason they quit making the X23. Nobody was buying the X23 after demoing the new XStar.

Last edited by Fixable; 03-12-2019 at 6:00 PM.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-12-2019, 6:06 PM Reply   
So regarding the video, if you pay attention to it, we take great care to use the SAME cameras and same settings for each boat and the same angles. The "commentary" is for information you can't get from watching. The video shows you the transition, the lip, the cleanliness, the length, how well it is pushing people from behind, etc. Each boat has a couple chase shots from the side, drone shots, a high shot, and a couple side shots, hopefully both sides but not always.

Also, the manufacturers wouldn't keep bringing the boats if it wasn't for the videos.

My commentary doesn't need to tell you which boat's waves are cleaner, smoother, lippier, etc, you can see it. Granted, NOTHING is better than actually riding it.
Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       03-12-2019, 6:21 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixable View Post
Having personally owned an X30, X23, 3 Gís, an SE, 18 XStar, and an X24..... I definitely have a different view.

Iíd have to assume the XStar you rode was a 17 or older, which would make sense. The new star is the whole reason they quit making the X23. Nobody was buying the X23 after demoing the new XStar.


X24. Not XStar. Last fall. It was quite good. In the top echelon. But we have a couple slammed and sweet 2018 X23s round here that work DAMN good. Like, not THAT big of a gap between.

The X24 is a MUCH nicer boat though. For sure. With a better wave, but not a paradigm shift by any stretch. Better, yes.

Last edited by dakota4ce; 03-12-2019 at 6:26 PM.
Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       03-12-2019, 6:30 PM Reply   
Wasnít 2015 the first X23 year? Thatís not insanely old....but itís replacement is sweet. They finally get the freeboard they needed.
Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       03-12-2019, 6:43 PM Reply   
I would love to own one if the pricing wasnít so extreme. Theyíre a pretty penny!
Old     (Shakarocks)      Join Date: Mar 2013       03-17-2019, 7:38 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota4ce View Post
I think we should use a little perspective when we examine the merits of the video. I think this event is really mostly for the attendees. Itís a chance to get behind several boats in a short period of time and try out several different boards. Itís really not about the video that comes out of it and what the audience out in the greater community thinks of the video. In fact, the event would be just the same without the video. The fact that Robert takes the time to compile a little bit of information about the event in the video speaks a lot to how much he cares about wake surfing in general. But really? The event is over. The activities related to the event could very well be over at that point too.



Good on you mate.
I disagree. These videos are very valuable for those making decisions on boats when they either don't have time to demo all of them or need to purchase during boat show season. So it's both for the attendees and those watching the vids.
Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       03-17-2019, 10:49 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakarocks View Post
I disagree. These videos are very valuable for those making decisions on boats when they either don't have time to demo all of them or need to purchase during boat show season. So it's both for the attendees and those watching the vids.


Thereís a Malibu video you need to watch!
Old     (davez71)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-22-2019, 7:18 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota4ce View Post
I would love to own one if the pricing wasnít so extreme. Theyíre a pretty penny!
I think the Nautique, MC, and now Supra are all getting very close in price based on my recent pricing. Its getting crazy. Mty2015 X23 is looking great instead of upgrading.

Reply
Share 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 7:22 AM.

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
Wake World Home

 

© 2019 eWake, Inc.    
Advertise    |    Contact    |    Terms of Use    |    Privacy Policy    |    Report Abuse    |    Conduct    |    About Us