Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-05-2018, 12:54 PM Reply   
I’m looking at buying a new Chevy Silverado 1500 4 x 4 . Right now Chevy is offering almost $2000 off if you purchase a truck with “Eassist”. I know absolutely nothing about this option other than. It’s a small electric motor that adds a minute amount of torque and horsepower. I’m comfortable and very familiar with hybrid’s but Chevys version has me cautious. The extra horsepower and torque is nice but at what price, for long-term ownership. This truck is going to be a vehicle that stays at the lake and pretty much goes up and down the ramp to put the boat in the water it’s not going to get a lot of miles and I was worried about having a 10+ -year-old truck with low miles and a bad battery ?

P.S
What are your thoughts on the Z 71 (Painted Grill) version VS the LTZ (chrome grill) version.
Attached Images

Old     (drnate)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-05-2018, 4:01 PM Reply   
This may be a better question for the Chevrolet forums. Buy a Cummins . jkjk
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-05-2018, 5:30 PM Reply   
no clue about the e-assist, but def go with the painted grill/z71 package!
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       09-06-2018, 8:27 AM Reply   
Sorry to say it but I wouldnt buy anything gas powered from GM. They have engine issues with the newer trucks and the Active Fuel Management Its a huge issue . The bigger problem is the fact GM is notorious for turning their backs on customers .
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004       09-06-2018, 10:21 AM Reply   
Batteries don't last 10 years....
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-06-2018, 12:25 PM Reply   
I agree: if I was gonna be using the truck as a daily driver I could see it as a advantage but this could be the last truck I get? And my thought is that if I get something, I don’t wanna have a truck with 30k mikes on it thats like 10 years old but has a stupid bunk battery.
Old     (davez71)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-06-2018, 1:12 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALIV210 View Post
Sorry to say it but I wouldnt buy anything gas powered from GM. They have engine issues with the newer trucks and the Active Fuel Management Its a huge issue . The bigger problem is the fact GM is notorious for turning their backs on customers .
GM gas engines with AFM have no more problems than the Ford Ecoboost engines.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004       09-06-2018, 2:21 PM Reply   
https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/top...-with-eassist/
looks like its been an option since 2016. most don't like it, especially for short, stop and go situations, like yours
Old     (Surfer101)      Join Date: Oct 2015       09-06-2018, 10:22 PM Reply   
Painted grill for sure! If it’s not a daily just get a tried and proven reliable v8 and call it done.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-06-2018, 10:26 PM Reply   
^^^^^tjatscwhat I’m thinking
Old     (getssum)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-10-2018, 12:25 PM Reply   
As I've got to know you over the years from your posts on here, I definitely don't see you jumping at the chrome grille version, Grant!

Now is a great time to buy an "old" model year truck, as the 2019's are beginning to hit the lots and the 2018's from Dodge and GM are the older generation. Ford has been having a bit of a price war as well.

I wouldn't be too concerned with the E-assist being good or bad, and the extra 2k off completely offsets the cost of the 1,125 E assist motor.

Either motor will be more than enough to pull your boats out of the water at Tulloch, no problem at all.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-11-2018, 7:57 AM Reply   
Yes: I’m gonna get a LTZ- With the Z71 package. The top of the line LTZ is only like 6k more then the LT truck I was looking at, but now pickings are getting slimmer, with the 19s coming in and the 18s being discounted it’s getting harder and harder to exactly what I want.
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       09-18-2018, 7:53 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by davez71 View Post
GM gas engines with AFM have no more problems than the Ford Ecoboost engines.
Maybe they do maybe they dont. Im not a fan of either at this point .lol
My AFM engine and the 3 of my friends with AFM engines have nothing but issues . One lunched the engine at 90k miles which to me is crazy these things should run up 200k easy . Very rough idling due to the crap lifters the AFM uses and the fact they all consume a ton of oil . You can negate the oil consumption if you deactivate the AFM with good tuning or the little dongle that plugs into the OBD port and deactivates it . My issue is GM sucks and doesn't take very good care of the customers . I've always been a gm guy they always look much better then the competition but since the LB7 days with the duramax injectors and the rest of the short comings they refuse to stand behind im turned off .
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       09-18-2018, 10:25 PM Reply   
if it was me i wouldn't shy away from the e assist, seems like worst case is you tune it out, or just doesn't work. My cousin had a problem with their afm and the other didnt same year tahoes bought within weeks of each other in 07 in first year it came out.. i have heard they're oil thirsty. a little thread derailment, but if have to pick my poison its still going to be gm. I always buy gmc trucks and gmc or cadillac suv, although i doubt theres a difference vs chevy version they have been nothing but rock solid for me. 150k on 97 suburban, 140+k on an 03 esv, 130+ on my 08 duramax- currently at 60k on our 15 yukon and 170k on my 00 3/4 ton 6.0 sierra ranch truck that gets hammered in dirt and idles a ton and just keeps truckin... I have no place in my garage for a v6 truck and dodge isn't even on my radar until they get to 3/4 ton. i'd still take a dmax over cummins in that category... although the gap is closer than miles apart.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-19-2018, 12:15 PM Reply   
I bought a new GM Sierra 1500 in 2011. It was in the shop 1-2 times a year for failed sensors. Highly frustrating. About once every 6 months the truck would go into limp mode and I would take it to the dealer. The same throttle position sensor was replaced many times and GM told me that it wasn't power train, so I paid. I finally bought a tuner to delete the code and keep driving since the sensor actually wasn't bad. I won't buy another GM.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-19-2018, 4:42 PM Reply   
I bought a Chevy 1500 4X4 LTZ-Z71 So far Im super happy with it, Man I thought my 2008 Chevy LT fine. This new truck is SO much nicer.
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       09-19-2018, 10:32 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant_west View Post
I bought a Chevy 1500 4X4 LTZ-Z71 So far Im super happy with it, Man I thought my 2008 Chevy LT fine. This new truck is SO much nicer.
i agree, big jump up in comfort from the 08 style to the current (up to 2018) so much quiter and seats are a HUGE step up in comfort imo too.