Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       01-16-2018, 7:43 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 501s View Post
My view exactly, well said!!!

What's the point of a $100k boat and million dollar home and kids if you are too busy to enjoy it. Balance is the key. I'm 41 and have an X30 I paid cash for. Last summer I got caught up in the hype of another new boat and almost wasted another $80k to get into a 2 year newer G23. We decided to walk away and it was the best decision I ever made. Boats are awesome, but the new boats all topping $100k + are simply not worth the price in my eyes, and I own one.

As people get to the end stages of life, no one ever says "I wish I spent more time away from my family at work". Always keep that in mind.

Right on man. I am 43 and this reality has descended upon me in the last couple years. I fear I have already blown some opportunities like I mention, but the philosophy is shifting.
Old     (davesetter)      Join Date: Jan 2014       01-18-2018, 1:30 PM Reply   
Big money in selling grass! Sod I mean haha!
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-10-2018, 3:05 PM Reply   
So I wanted of finish up on the thread. So after 45 years we sold our family business to ADT. In the last 4 months, with help from key contributors, I was able to turn the business around. We worked 6-7 days a week up to 16 hour days. It was the toughest thing I have been through in my in life. At the end of the day we were able to sell the company to a company that will first and foremost give our employees long term stability and a chance for growth. In our current position that was something that we were not going to be able to provide. It feels so good to be free of the burden. I gave up the opportunity of being super wealthy to assure our employees the opportunity of long term success and to personally give up having to work 70 plus hours a week. May be in 10 years I will look back at it and think it was a major mistake but for right now it feels damn good. And I have spent more time with my kids in the past 10 days since the close than I have pretty much in the prior 4 months.

I have other opportunities in life and I won’t be starving any time soon but money ain’t everything. Try to find something you have a passion for and pursue it. My next opportunity is basically starting from scratch but I am starting with the right team and a group of people I want to work with.

Look for locks.com in the near future.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-10-2018, 8:49 PM Reply   
A lot of good advice. I still do not own a 100K+ boat but my ride is extravagant when compared to how most people in the world live. Buy a boat you can easily afford, enjoy it and as you save more money and income grows, trade up. I could have owned nicer boats sooner but think it is crazy to take on significant debt on toys that depreciate like boats.

Here is how it played out for me and I have had a lot of good times on all the boats I have owned.

1st boat: jon boat
2nd boat: 10 year old I/O 4 cyl
3rd boat: 5 year old I/O 6 cyl - at least it had a tower
4th boat: 5 year old 20' Centurion
5th boat: 5 year old 22' Centurion
6th boat: 3 year old Moomba Mojo