Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old    Murray Lea (MooSeMan)      Join Date: Sep 2017       11-11-2017, 7:42 PM Reply   
Flavor of the Week ,Carbon Fiber...
Attached Images

Old    Ifishok™ (ifishok)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-11-2017, 8:50 PM Reply   
Tell us more.....
Old    Murray Lea (MooSeMan)      Join Date: Sep 2017       11-11-2017, 9:13 PM Reply   
More pictures to come ,,,Soon
Old    "G" (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-12-2017, 5:10 PM Reply   
I can’t wait to see or hear the story behind the Rub rail!
Old    Murray Lea (MooSeMan)      Join Date: Sep 2017       11-12-2017, 10:58 PM Reply   
Only story here is ,,,BOAT Fixed,,,When are those grant west Wakeboards coming out???
Old     (svnfightsvn)      Join Date: Mar 2011       11-13-2017, 5:18 AM Reply   
I wanna see more pics! Looks cool
Old    E Double U (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       11-13-2017, 3:10 PM Reply   
Fixed? Or just covered up!
Old    Baitkiller (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       11-13-2017, 3:30 PM Reply   
This I gotta see.
Old    "G" (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-13-2017, 5:19 PM Reply   
Hey Moose if you wanna see how to fix Gell I did a DIY years ago. You can go to the DIY section and see many of the DIY threads I have done
Old    Baitkiller (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       11-13-2017, 6:24 PM Reply   
I wonder if the Moose Nom de Plume is purely coincidence.
Old    Murray Lea (MooSeMan)      Join Date: Sep 2017       11-13-2017, 6:37 PM Reply   
g~eeee??? what was that Web site of yours again???Your going to school me on Gelcoats been working with Gelcoats well over 40 years...I can Spray gelcoat and then polish it in less than 40 mins.
E its just a cover up ,like everything else in life...
Old    "G" (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-13-2017, 9:20 PM Reply   
Right on Moose. I’m not going to try and school anyone. I’m a DIY guy. And I just took some photos of some work I did years ago & that’s all. Let’s see some more pictures of that Nautique you did? I was confused at what I was looking at ecpeciall by the rub rail, looks like the surface changed from 1k carbon fiber to something else. Curious to see
Old    Detox (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       11-13-2017, 9:54 PM Reply   
DA MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSE iZ bACk!
Old    D.F.T.R. Josh (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-14-2017, 9:49 AM Reply   
Quote:
DA MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSE iZ bACk!
Q in Ken Land and we have a decent winter forum to follow!!!

Is this covered up with carbon film and black silicone on the rub rail?

Last edited by downfortheride; 11-14-2017 at 9:54 AM.
Old    Murray Lea (MooSeMan)      Join Date: Sep 2017       11-14-2017, 5:53 PM Reply   
Still sanding the Carbon Fiber boat,,,But that was the only good fix ,If I would of filled the cracks and then L/P. the boat it would of cracked in a year or less...
here a couple of boats I fixed for friends over the summer
Old    Murray Lea (MooSeMan)      Join Date: Sep 2017       11-14-2017, 8:40 PM Reply   
This boat had leaking windows so they had me fill in the window holes,,,
Attached Images

Old    Andy Graham (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-15-2017, 10:11 AM Reply   
Moose LIVES! Thank God for a little fun activity on WW.
Old    Nacho (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004       11-15-2017, 10:19 AM Reply   
MOOOOOOOSSSEEE! feeling better big guy? glad to see you posting. carbon fiber came out clean. did you do the whole boat??
Old    D.F.T.R. Josh (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-15-2017, 10:36 AM Reply   
Quote:
This boat had leaking windows so they had me fill in the window holes,,,
Don't look to bad for a internet picture.
Old    Shawndoggy (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       11-15-2017, 4:52 PM Reply   
so instead of fixing the windows they "boarded them up"?

Moose got any pics of cracked corvette windshield fixes?
Old    Murray Lea (MooSeMan)      Join Date: Sep 2017       11-16-2017, 6:50 PM Reply   
No Corvette windows ,,,But i fixed this for my bro a year or so ago,,,No Widow people would fix it
Attached Images

Old    Darren Yearsley (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-16-2017, 6:57 PM Reply   
Quite the craftsman
Old     (svnfightsvn)      Join Date: Mar 2011       11-17-2017, 11:04 AM Reply   
Lost interest in this thread already
Old    D.F.T.R. Josh (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-17-2017, 11:29 AM Reply   
Quote:
No Corvette windows ,,,But i fixed this for my bro a year or so ago,,,No Widow people would fix it
I do autoglass professionally and that's the whole wrong way to do it, LOL. Less then $200 could have had it fixed right. The more I see this thread it seems the more attention Moose is trying to get. I think this thread should be named "You got Cracks in anything,,,THIS IS HOW YOU DIY WRONG...
Old    "G" (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-17-2017, 3:22 PM Reply   
I'm still waiting for the Pic's of that Rubrail Section. I don't want to judge but it looks like the same "craftsmanship" Ralph noted was used in the Carbon Fiber wrap job. From the pictures, it looks like the rub rail was NOT removed and it became part of the repair. I have been critical of moose in other thread's so I'm not trying to pick on the guy just trying to understand what we are looking at.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       11-17-2017, 5:28 PM Reply   
Side note: still making custom surfboards moose man?
Old    Murray Lea (MooSeMan)      Join Date: Sep 2017       11-17-2017, 6:42 PM Reply   
Josh ,NOBODY would fix that window ,,,The frame was Rusted out ,Look I ran glass around the window ,to make sure it didnt kill anyone,,,I've never done a window ,my bro talked me into it,,,He was doing back flips...finished sanding the boat today
Whats a rub rail ? I glass over the cracks ,Simple ...
Old     (svnfightsvn)      Join Date: Mar 2011       11-17-2017, 9:01 PM Reply   
"What's a rub rail"? LOL. I think this thread is about to get interesting again ...
Old    RB (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       11-18-2017, 7:32 AM Reply   
How long until someone brings out "the picture"???????
Old    "G" (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-18-2017, 9:42 AM Reply   
My hunch tells me the same “quality” that went into the window repair you can find in the Nautique repair. But to Moose’s defense. How much time and effort can you expect someone to put into a boat or car that’s beat down? Example the window in the guys truck. Doing the repair the “right way possibly cost more then the truck is worth. Same may go for that Nautique. It might be a basket case, are you gonna throw 3k at a Gell coat repair on a boat that’s worth 5k
Old    Murray Lea (MooSeMan)      Join Date: Sep 2017       11-18-2017, 12:32 PM Reply   
You got hunches ,go to the track and make a bet ...I take crap surfboards and make em look new
Attached Images

Old    D.F.T.R. Josh (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-19-2017, 8:10 AM Reply   
Quote:
Josh ,NOBODY would fix that window ,,,The frame was Rusted out
When dealing with older vehicles and you have a rusted out pinch weld it's a hard decision what to do. As stated above if rusted out it will cost a LOT more then the car is worth to fix it right. If it's water tight and will survive a major auto wreck I guess your golden.
Old    Murray Lea (MooSeMan)      Join Date: Sep 2017       11-21-2017, 5:48 PM Reply   
Boats done NOW,It was cheaper to hand lay Carbon Fiber on the boat than grind out 200 cracks ,primer the boat @ $200+ a gal ,sand it out then paint it with L/P@ $300~$500 a gal ,and still color sand it(Never can You get a perfect paint jop out side)& Polish the boat...
Carbons $27 a yard ,Resin $30 a gal ,used 2 gals ,Its not even close,Plus the fact the cracks won't come though the paint again like it more than likely in a year or 2...
Attached Images

Old    "G" (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       Yesterday, 12:22 PM Reply   
Well where I come from we would call that HACK ^^^ But like I said the boat looks like a floating POS so how much money can you expect to throw at a gel coat repair. And it also depends on where and how this boat is used. If the boat belongs to some homeless guy that runs it in Salt 24/7 that likes to get his Slaysh on then "Power to the People"
I just can't see anyone here accepting that as a viable repair? Perhaps the guy that has the wooden wakeboard tower but that's about it . Hey, Moose check out these guy's this is some 3rd world Auto Body and Paintwork. kind of reminds me of your Repair
https://youtu.be/qinZkdzOtCQ
Old    Bill Amaral (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       Yesterday, 12:47 PM Reply   
The board repair looks pretty dang good.....the boat repair eh....not so much, BUT it looks about par for the boats condition.
Old    BLAIR BARHAM (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       Yesterday, 2:27 PM Reply   
LOL Grant that pain job!!!!

Don't inhale
Old    Eric R (Shakarocks)      Join Date: Mar 2013       Yesterday, 5:45 PM Reply   
If this keeps a boat viable for several years at a minimum cost then I'm all for it. Not everyone can afford to drop 100k on a new boat and has to work with what they've got.
Old    Darren Yearsley (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       Yesterday, 6:13 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakarocks View Post
If this keeps a boat viable for several years at a minimum cost then I'm all for it. Not everyone can afford to drop 100k on a new boat and has to work with what they've got.
I guess the point is gel cracks aren't a functional issue, it is cosmetic, so why fix it in an ugly way? Taking the rub rail off, doing the repair and putting the rub rail back on again isn't expensive, just takes a bit of time. Its just a shame because the carbon work looks dope.
Old    Murray Lea (MooSeMan)      Join Date: Sep 2017       Yesterday, 8:18 PM Reply   
when it comes to repairs first is to fix the problem,cosmetics is next ,you can't make it better than brand new ,,,where's your DIY video???
Guy was STOKED
g~eee? has an opinion on EVERYTHING in the World ,,,whats the name of your business & website???
Old    "G" (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       Yesterday, 9:00 PM Reply   
Moose are you saying if you don’t have a Website you can’t do good work?
Old     (Bakes)      Join Date: Mar 2010       Yesterday, 10:01 PM Reply   
X

Last edited by Bakes; Yesterday at 10:04 PM.
Old    Murray Lea (MooSeMan)      Join Date: Sep 2017       Yesterday, 11:33 PM Reply   
It all makes Sense now after I looked at your profile g~eee? ,,,Cute picture,who would get cough dead in a uniform like that ,It all makes Sence NOW...